R9 290 getting out performed by my gtx 770

indexcow

i recently bought an R9 290 and i installed it and i didnt notice any differences so i decided to do some benchmarks of my own and found out that my gtx 770 lightning is outperforming it by about 10-20 fps in all the games i tested.

can anyone help me?

What games are you test this in?

Quote me to get a reply!

Is it a reference r9 290? it might be throttling if you have poor airflow. also, the gtx 770 lightning is one beastly card. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Shouldn't be the case in any games, you installed the drivers right

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

i recently bought an R9 290 and i installed it and i didnt notice any differences so i decided to do some benchmarks of my own and found out that my gtx 770 lightning is outperforming it by about 10-20 fps in all the games i tested.

can anyone help me?

If you dont like it you want to trade the 290 for my msi gtx770 so that you can sli?

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

What games are you test this in?

Battlefield 4, Guild wars 2, League of legends w/OBS streaming, and beamNG

Is it a reference r9 290? it might be throttling if you have poor airflow. also, the gtx 770 lightning is one beastly card. 

it is the reference 290 but it has more than enough airflow  

Shouldn't be the case in any games, you installed the drivers right

yup when i got it i used DDU and whipped all my existing nvidia drivers and then i installed the amd drivers (i think its 14.4?)

If you dont like it you want to trade the 290 for my msi gtx770 so that you can sli?

i appreciate your offer but i would rather solve the problem instead of avoiding it, but then again i only spend $235 on it;)

i appreciate your offer but i would rather solve the problem instead of avoiding it, but then again i only spend $235 on it;)

Lol so you must have gotten an miners dirty laundry card :P it honestly might just be that the card is worn out and downclocking itself to avoid crashing. Have you monitored the core and memory clocks along with the volts while you are testing it? Also offer still stands if you change your mind and want sli awesomeness :P

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Go into the catalyst drivers and change the max fan speed to 100% or go into afterburner and make a more aggressive fan profile, this will lower temps and keep the card from thermal throttling. Use MSI afterburner to look at clock speeds after gaming or use the on screen display, that'll let you know if you're down clocking. I purchased a miner card back at the beginning of April and it's running like a champ. If it still doesn't work after that, RMA it.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Go into the catalyst drivers and change the max fan speed to 100% or go into afterburner and make a more aggressive fan profile, this will lower temps and keep the card from thermal throttling. Use MSI afterburner to look at clock speeds after gaming or use the on screen display, that'll let you know if you're down clocking. I purchased a miner card back at the beginning of April and it's running like a champ. If it still doesn't work after that, RMA it.

i took a picture of it but i dont know how to upload pictures here. http://imgur.com/aN4Pndd

thats after 20 min of gaming.

did you get it for cheap (and used)? probably an abused miner card which the seller sold because its not fast.

did you get it for cheap (and used)? probably an abused miner card which the seller sold because its not fast.

i bought it from a miner who sold his whole farm (some 80 290's) 

I think we found the problem right there. There must be a reason why he sold them, probably he has worn them out and decided to get some PROPER mining hardware (gamimg gpus suck at mining lol).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

reference card running 24/7 at max temperatures for who knows how long mining dogecoins. Goodluck with your card.

I think we found the problem right there. There must be a reason why he sold them, probably he has worn them out and decided to get some PROPER mining hardware (gamimg gpus suck at mining lol).

he probably was selling because it wasnt worth it anymore

reference card running 24/7 at max temperatures for who knows how long mining dogecoins. Goodluck with your card.

wasnt ran at max temps, and it was in a claimant controlled room

maybe he screwed you over? the GPUs arent meant to run 100% 24/7,thats why it maybe got slower

maybe he screwed you over? the GPUs arent meant to run 100% 24/7,thats why it maybe got slower

What? GPU's are made to be at 100% for as long as the user needs, performance degradation will not happen, the silicon will simply stop working.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

dont come here to tell me that the card just "wore out". cards dont wear out either they work or they dont.

Oh yes they DO wear out, just like cpus. If you run them at full load 24/7 with poor airflow for months they will start dying and performing worse.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh yes they DO wear out, just like cpus. If you run them at full load 24/7 with poor airflow for months they will start dying and performing worse.

LOL.................

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

dont come here to tell me that the card just "wore out". cards dont wear out either they work or they dont.

They can wear out and they will. The VRMs have been pushed to their limits and are breaking. Gaming GPUs are not meant to be run 24/7.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

he probably was selling because it wasnt worth it anymore

wasnt ran at max temps, and it was in a claimant controlled room

maybe they were running it overclocked and over volt-ed all this time. Over voltage can degrade the GPU.

If the card was that worn out, I doubt it will only be slower. I'd expect artifacting and crashing too if that was the case.

Old shit no one cares about but me.