My liquid is hotter than the CPU

When running at high load i noticed that the liquid in my cooling unit is hotter than the CPU. Is that normal?

6b3718c4ea.jpg

Yes, it is designed to take the heat away from your CPU.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Its fine, just wondering, what cooler are you using?

Diamond 5 in League :)

wow, so your cooling works?! :o wait.. thats a good thing ;)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

It's just because I changed from an intel cpu to amd and when i had the intel cpu the Liquid was nearly 15 C colder than the CPU..

Amd cpu's dont report temperatures correctly in windows. Thats why there is a different. The liquid temp would be accurate. As a rule of thumb I always take 60 degrees in amd cpu's as 100 degrees and seems to be accurate then. At least that was the case for my last three amd cpu's

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

Amd cpu's dont report temperatures correctly in windows. Thats why there is a different. The liquid temp would be accurate. As a rule of thumb I always take 60 degrees in amd cpu's as 100 degrees and seems to be accurate then. At least that was the case for my last three amd cpu's

This. Water can't really be hotter than cpu as heat only flows from hot to cold.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

This. Water can't really be hotter than cpu as heat only flows from hot to cold.

Eh, some quantum mechanics people and Peltier enthusiasts would disagree, but yeah, water will never be hotter than your CPU unless you just filled the loop after letting the fluid sit out in the sun in a black bowl for several hours.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Eh, some quantum mechanics people and Peltier enthusiasts would disagree, but yeah, water will never be hotter than your CPU unless you just filled the loop after letting the fluid sit out in the sun in a black bowl for several hours.

Alright then, I'll revise my quote. Heat only flows from hot to cold on a macroscopic level without adding energy.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

No, this is not normal and it is not how its supposed to be. You're most likely getting a bad reading. Yes, the coolant is there to remove heat from the CPU, however it is physically impossible for the coolant to become hotter than the heat source. Same way it is impossible for your CPU temps to go below ambient on air or water.

That was what i was thinking. I'm not really that mutch into water cooling, but i have advanced chemistry and physics in shcool (around same level as college, just denmark who like to be like no one else..)

LOL, I love how a lot of threads start out like this, with the "Well, yeah. It is what it is, you didn't know that's how it is?" until someone with legitimate knowledge speaks up with "Actually, that's not right because _____ "

I also feel that unless you had a second heat source, this should not be so. Something is obviously transmitting erroneous temps...

Corsair C70 case - i7 4790k - Corsair H100i - Asus Maximus Hero VII - EVGA 780 Ti SC x2 SLI - Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Seagate HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM - Corsair RM1000 PSU - Asus VG248QE - Logitech G700s Mouse<p>MSI GT60 0NE-403US Laptop - i7 3630QM - GTX 680M 4GB - Toshiba 128GB SSD - 750GB HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM