Questions For Professional Programmers

piggykid1

If you are a professional programmer I have a few questions.

1. What language do you program?

2. What do you prgram? (websites, applications, games etc.)

3. How did you learn what you know?

Thanks!

What do you count as professional? I don't work in the programming industry, but I've made a few games before as an indie. 

Thanks!

1) Whichever is best for the problem from: C++, Python, Java, C#, PHP(only for web stuff), Objective-C

2) All of the above

3) Learned the basics in school then just tons of practice.

What do you count as professional? I don't work in the programming industry, but I've made a few games before as an indie. 

that counts just someone who is experienced with programming

Start with a language like C and move up, use this thread to find resources on what you need.

ok thanks and yea I've used that thread before it is awesome

1. Programming in Java, C# ,UnityScript (modified javascript), C, C++

2.Application, Automations, Games, Apps.

3.i was interested how does programs/games/websites work.  Bought a HTML book, started coding, then settled on visual basic.

in 8th grade (13yo) started to learn c++.  Made few games,  When graduating on high school a didnt need to do whole final examination test, but just the ones requied (native language , english language) because as a practise test a created Digital image recognition software which was tracking your hands and you could play games with it without mouse, or just operate presentations in school e.t.c.. I went with this project on like "student science fair" get into country level grade of competition.   Did not win there, but i had confidence in programming.  After school obtained certificate in C++ OOP.  Could not find any work in c++ :D learned java in cca 2 weeks , learned android SDK  started to make apps in my region since i was the only one in that time.  After market with android developers grew up in my region, i have moved to the capital city where i coded apps in unity.  Now working in automation team in unnamed company,  programming automations, and also as self employed guy i am also coding apps, games, and stuff.

3 . tl'dr :   Games were fun, I wanted to have my own ..

1. C. Rarely C++, when using an STL container (map, vector, etc) is simply easier than writing my own very simple data structure implementation.

1.1: I make a distinction between scripting (bash, python, perl, php) and programming (C, java) because one does not require a compiler to work, and the other does. I do more scripting than I do programming, but I still write programs as well. Bash, by far, is my most-used scripting language.

2. 'tools'.

2.1: "We need something that can write I/O to a disk, like iometer, but be able to verify our replication solution is working as intended!" I solved that one with a mix of C and bash. C to write and read back the file, and also rate-limit how fast the file was written (the rate limit is adaptive to the underlying storage) as the product couldn't handle just how fast my little (4K compiled) app was able to write to disk. :D

2.2: "We need a tool that will tell us how to get from Solar System A, to Solar System B, in the shortest (ish) path!" Pure C for this one.

2.3: "We need a program that can process 300 /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files, figure out which user IDs are about to expire, send e-mails to the users who own those IDs that are about to expire, and lock old IDs." "Why not use LDAP instead?" "BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY!" C for most of this. Or, for parsing the /etc/passwd/shadow files into a usable format. Scripting for the actual e-mail lookup and sending (mostly because management didn't want everything written in C, so that, as they described it, 'lesser mortals' could maintain it).

2.4: "We need an application which can stress test enterprise flash drives!" I ended up making the flash drives have a 1-second access time. :) No millisecond. Actual second. :D Management was impressed.

3. College got me started. After that, an open source game was where I went from a shitty programmer to a good programmer. That and a lot of side projects of my own. "I want to be able to read data out of a database, manipulate it, and do something with it!" and so I learned how to include other libraries in my code (mysql.so) and make use of those external function calls.

Or, "I want to have one framework for reading in a certain type of file, but then be able to plug in different modules to do different things to those files (increment values, parse data, etc) and only have to compile each source code file one time." So I learned how to use the 'extern' value in C, and compile code as objects, then link different sets of objects together to produce useful output. If you find the source code for PuTTY this is how it is written, each source code file for all PuTTY based executables is compiled exactly one time, and they are linked together differently to produce putty, pagent, plink, etc.

Thanks!

1. mostly Ruby, Python, Java and C#

2. websites (well... web apps... SaaS stuff) and enterprise applications (server and client side)

3. Studying and practicing, get a good software engineering book and then a language oriented book and try making even the stupidest apps, and work it up from there on every language... as languages evolve you'll never finish studying  :mellow:

If your an aspiring programmer I suggest you take CS50 ( https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-cs50x-introduction-computer-1022#.U6D1F_ldVv0 ) it's an intro to computer science. I've taken it and it's really fun. You'll first learn C in there but it doesn't just show you programming languages. You'll learn the ins and outs of computing and how memory works as well like hash tables, stack/heap, ect... all of which empower you as a programmer and ultimately a problem solver. (anyone can learn a language, but few can write a New York Times Best Seller.) Once you finish the course, if you do indeed take it, you should move on to C++. With C securely under your belt learning C++ will be cinch. I highly suggest this http://www.learncpp.com/ these tutorials are so easy to wrap your head around and absorb that you'll be done before you know it. A programmer is a problem solver who can brake down a complicated task into simple, smaller solutions to make something beautiful, and his/her tools are the simple yet extremely powerful commands given to them by other programmers before them in the form of the languages we use today

No... I'm not ready for my thread to die, not yet.... nooooo......

Thanks!

I made myself learn as many languages and technologies as I could fit into my head space, I also made myself love each one. Too many to list, I suggest you check my profile. It's my belief that the more dynamic one is as a Software Engineer, then the more valuable one will be and the easier it will be for one to find employment security. Yes there are those that argue that one must specialize but in my opinion this is less true today and therefore is an archaic doctrine.

I work on a whole multitude of different things from robotics, very low level drivers, embedded software to desktop applications and web based stuff. I've done some playing with game based development but generally it's all business and enterprise related.

I took the wrong path in life early on and realized only when I was in my 20s that I was fed up and needed more. So I returned to education and aced through multiple courses. Just 5 years on from graduation I'm now working for a large multi national organization. How? Tenacity and determination.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I made myself learn as many languages and technologies as I could fit into my head space, I also made myself love each one. Too many to list, I suggest you check my profile. It's my belief that the more dynamic one is as a Software Engineer, then the more valuable one will be and the easier it will be for one to find employment security. Yes there are those that argue that one must specialize but in my opinion this is less true today and therefore is an archaic doctrine.

I work on a whole multitude of different things from robotics, very low level drivers, embedded software to desktop applications and web based stuff. I've done some playing with game based development but generally it's all business and enterprise related.

I took the wrong path in life early on and realized only when I was in my 20s that I was fed up and needed more. So I returned to education and aced through multiple courses. Just 5 years on from graduation I'm now working for a large multi national organization. How? Tenacity and determination.

thank you any recommendations as to where to learn a language

I would recommend Pluralsight. It's got some great tutorials aimed at many different levels as well as being progressive. I would recommend their Test Driven Development and Design Patterns as a compliment to whatever language you decide to begin with.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I would recommend Pluralsight. It's got some great tutorials aimed at many different levels as well as being progressive. I would recommend their Test Driven Development and Design Patterns as a compliment to whatever language you decide to begin with.

Pluralsight looks like a really great sight, but I don't have any money I know free things don't fall in laps but do you have a free site you recommend?

Pluralsight looks like a really great sight, but I don't have any money I know free things don't fall in laps but do you have a free site you recommend?

I can immediately think of: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ https://projecteuler.net/ for practice (it's been taken down for the time being though it would seem).

Thanks!

1. C#, Java

2. Websites, Applications

3. Through code exposure. Shit load of codes. :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

http://www.lynda.com/default.aspx

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I'm not a professional programmer but I'll answer your questions.

1. What language do you program? PHP

2. What do you prgram? (websites, applications, games etc.) Websites

3. How did you learn what you know? I started on codecademy learning very basic things. Then I started watching random videos published by PHPAcademy and the rest was looking in the php.net documentation. They give you simple examples. I think the biggest challenge with PHP is learning how classes and functions work.

i want to die

Thanks!

1: ive played with ruby, io, lua. i stick to java, php, c#. wanna learn c/c++

2: whatever floats my boat that week. only in college right now so i can kinda do whatever, lately thats been a lot of java for the college mailroom(i write their package tracking system for on campus source code)

3: lots of independent learning. when i entered college as a freshman i was taking junior/senior level programming classes and still out programming the juniors/seniors.

some of the best advice i can give is learn it, and dont be afraid to learn it. i found that was an issue with the juniors/seniors i dealt with. they didnt wanna take the fifteen minutes to look up something and read the documentation, look at the example, etc. while i didn't give two shits what else i had to do, i was reading that crap until i had a working chunk of code. so read the documentation, its important! also learn early on to write your own "good" documentation. good is in quotes because your code should be relatively self documenting. this is something i still struggle with

Whichever language best fits the problem; If you know one conventional language, picking up any new one is generally not a problem.

Anything; That's why it's so much fun knowing how to program. You can do whatever you want—And in general; get paid for it.

By following the practices of everyone's favorite psychologist, John Dewey; "Learn to do by knowing and to know by doing"

Cheers,

Linus

Since you're asking professionals, I am presuming the questions are all related to my job... So here goes.

I program in C++ mostly, though our unofficial scripting language of choice for any automated tasks and whatnot is Python, so sometimes I do a bit in that too.

Well, my job as a Software Engineer is to work on the Windows DDK for the PowerVR Video Decoder which we distribute to customers to develop their drivers with. However, sometimes we need tools and scripts for other things so I might get tasked with developing those occasionally.

I learnt by doing. Best way to learn. I just keep doing projects, building things, reading around to research projects and find out the best approaches to design and all that.