$2k Upgrade, A Few Questions

tsujp

Hey guys,

After a very long time with my current PC build I am going to be upgrading with the intent of running multiple 1440p monitors, or if the pice drops enough the LG 34UM95 (but I doubt it).

Anyway:

1. Im in Australia. I'm using PC Parts Picker because it's easy, but the final hunt will be done on lowest cost - so don't be afraid to use PCPP with the US selected instead of AUS.
  2. I intend on running multiple 1440p monitors.
  3. I intend on expanding storage A LOT in the future.
  4. I intend on purchasing another EVGA GTX780 Ti in the future.
  5. No peripherals or operating system cost is required.
  6. This will be a gaming and serious web development build, dual booting in Windows and OS X (hackintosh ftw) with virtualisation for testing IE. Essentially, Windows for gaming and OS X for all work related stuff.

So far I have this planned:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Asus Z97-DELUXE(NFC&WLC) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($380.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card  ($669.99 @ Amazon) 
Case:  Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $1775.94

I am a complete loss on which memory to use. I want to stick with Corsair since I've had a wonderful experience with them in the past, and from what I hear they are top stuff. Given that I am going to be using this for gaming and work, with many servers running locally and some, possibly heavy, virtualisation going on what's the best route?

I should clarify I am not interested in anything less than 16GiB at all, and it doesn't matter if the build goes above as long as the memory is right and in no way skimped.

I'm not super sure on my motherboard (the 4790k only works on Z97 yes?) choice - just wondering if there's a bad rep for them out. Last time I checked it was hard to discern anything from the very limited number of reviews (only 1).

Also, watercooling or aircooling for the CPU? I'm not opposed to either just want the best cooling for my buck, which I am going to assume is water but again I am not sure on which to select.

I appreciate any help!

@tsujp

Consider looking at getting getting 6gb 780s, waiting for a 6gb 780ti or getting a titan black

In my opinon the 780ti is hindered by its limited 3gb VRAM, in some games (especially going forward) you can easily use more than 3gb of VRAM especially at high resoltion

Just a thought

The rest of the build looks great though, you might be able to save money in places though with a cheaper motherboard and a corsair 860 PSU which is enough for 2 780is

Also check out the new MX100 SSDs, great bang for buck ssd storage (although the 840 evo is a great choice too)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Do you really need the Z97-Deluxe? Wouldn't a Z97-Pro suffice?

Also, a 1200W PSU is overkill unless you plan on quad SLI (which is also unnecessary). Get a ~850W PSU which is plenty for dual SLI if you really want expansion room.

As for memory, Corsair, G-Skill, Kingston, Mushkin are all good. Get whatever is cheapest/best looking.

EDIT: If you're going to game on multiple 1440p monitors, you'd be better off getting something with more memory (290X/290/Titan/Titan Black)

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Don't get a reference 780Ti mate and get a Noctua NH-D14, better

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Also, a 1200W PSU is overkill unless you plan on quad SLI (which is also unnecessary). Get a ~850W PSU which is plenty for dual SLI if you really want expansion room.

As for memory, Corsair, G-Skill, Kingston, Mushkin are all good. Get whatever is cheapest/best looking.

EDIT: If you're going to game on multiple 1440p monitors, you'd be better off getting something with more memory (290X/290/Titan/Titan Black)

-he wants the extra features on the Delux

-Having some extra wattage wont heart, is so, it keeps the PSU Cool and Quiet

-the 780Ti with 1GB less on the frame buffer is still more powerful than your suggestions, plus, he said he will get another one, so brute GeForce Power for Ultra 1440p

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Don't get a reference 780Ti mate and get a Noctua NH-D14, better

Would you say the Noctua would trump the Corsair H110? I'm going for as cool as possible and a quiet as possible. Don't mind if it's a bit louder if it's a lot cooler though.

-the 780Ti with 1GB less on the frame buffer is still more powerful than your suggestions, plus, he said he will get another one, so brute GeForce Power for Ultra 1440p

Having looked at a comparison chart here: http://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Z97/comparison/ I don't really see a difference between the Deluxe and the Pro, basically the Deluxe has 1 more SATAe port, 2 more rear USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports and an extra Intel I211-AT ethernet port.

I'm not too sure I'd use SATAe because that's for PCIe SSDs right?

So really... nothing that justifies the extra money, unless I am missing something massive here.

Sure 850W is enough? I've always thought it was best to go ~20% more than what you would need at the most. So if you had parts that use 1000W you get at minimum a 1200W PSU. The calculated value I get from a really quick input from a wattage calculate says I should get something with 818W or more, and I figure 1200W would be safer.

As for memory just something with C7 then since that's the lowest latency?

Would you say the Noctua would trump the Corsair H110? I'm going for as cool as possible and a quiet as possible. Don't mind if it's a bit louder if it's a lot cooler though.

Having looked at a comparison chart here: http://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Z97/comparison/ I don't really see a difference between the Deluxe and the Pro, basically the Deluxe has 1 more SATAe port, 2 more rear USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports and an extra Intel I211-AT ethernet port.

So really... nothing that justifies the extra money, unless I am missing something massive here.

Sure 850W is enough? I've always thought it was best to go ~20% more than what you would need at the most. So if you had parts that use 1000W you get at minimum a 1200W PSU. The calculated value I get from a really quick input from a wattage calculate says I should get something with 818W or more, and I figure 1200W would be safer.

The Noctua NH-D14 would beat the H110 and the Bequiet Pro, and the PWM fans in it are just awesome, quiet and very efficient

-i really like the way you're thinking, yes always get more than you need in terms of wattage and every thing, it keeps your PSU cool and quiet, running far from it's 80% efficiency, and let's you do some more upgrades, and last longer and...don't listen to em just get higher wattage

- He is questioning whether he wants the extra features on Deluxe.

- Having extra power doesn't hurt, but when you can save some money, why not?

- A 780Ti will deliver more FPS in games than a 290X only if it hasn't used all of its 3GB of frame buffer.

, and in the future with higher quality textures, it will be possible to do so at a lower resolution (like multiple 1440p monitors). No amount of SLI or Crossfire will help when you have no video memory left.

850W is definitely enough (as your quick calculation said so), but if you want to be safe and money is not an issue, there is no harm in getting a higher wattage PSU.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

- He is questioning whether he wants the extra features on Deluxe.

- Having extra power doesn't hurt, but when you can save some money, why not?

- A 780Ti will deliver more FPS in games than a 290X only if it hasn't used all of its 3GB of frame buffer.

, and in the future with higher quality textures, it will be possible to do so at a lower resolution (like multiple 1440p monitors). No amount of SLI or Crossfire will help when you have no video memory left.

850W is definitely enough (as your quick calculation said so), but if you want to be safe and money is not an issue, there is no harm in getting a higher wattage PSU.

-if it doesn't stress on the budget why not

-save some money and have the PSU Pushing at Near 90% load, doesn't sound very good does it, in fact it sounds loud and Hot

-the 780Ti's additional Power will compensate over tha lack of Mem Amount, benchmarks proved it it beats the 4GB Boys even at 1440p