Should I add another radiator?

Hey forum,

I'm currently wondering if and how I could/should add another radiator to my system. I have a 4670k at 4.4GHz/1.36V and an R9 290 at stock voltage (1110/1400MHz) and am cooling it with a 360mm+120mm radiator. I have the EK LTX block on the CPU and the EK-FC R9 290X block on the GPU. I am also running Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL2 fans @ 7V.

Temps are:

CPU max. 79°C under IETU stress test

GPU max. 55°C on stock voltage, 63°C with +25mV

Coolant max. 42°C without GPU overclock, up to 47°C with GPU overclock, GPU and CPU stress testing at the same time.

I'm not entirely comfortable with these temps, as with the GPU overclocked my coolant temp gets close to 50°C, which is the max. operating temperature of my pump (EK-DCP 4.0). I'm wondering if I should add another 120mm radiator, I think I could squeeze it in the front of the case, right in front of the reservoir/pump. Do you think this would help significantly? I have an Arc Mini R2, here's a pic of my current setup:

gUDNeHG.jpg

What do you think? I'd like to keep my coolant temps below 45°C with the GPU running at +100mV. Would another 120mm rad be enough? Or should I get a new case? Invest in new fans? reconfigure my airflow? I'd like to keep the fans at 7V.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Well if you want significantly better temps and getting another case is an option I'd get another case and add another 360 or 480 rad. :P What rads are you using?

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

seems like you have an optimal cooling solution, perfect balance between water and air cooling. 

its a shame the positioning of the hard drive cage and reservoir are not great. 

You got a nice system there but the PSU kinda sucks. Also you don't have a ton of room for another rad so you might want a bigger case unless you think you can make it work.

You got a nice system there but the PSU kinda sucks. Also you don't have a ton of room for another rad so you might want a bigger case unless you think you can make it work.

I don't see how it sucks. It works, it's gold rated. If it breaks then it sucks, now it's fine.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Your cooling looks good as is, but if you just want another rad for the wow factor, go for it,it wont harm anything.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I don't see how it sucks. It works, it's gold rated. If it breaks then it sucks, now it's fine.

Its not exactly a high end power supply.

Its not exactly a high end power supply.

it's gold rated, so the only difference between that and high end power supplies rated gold is when one of them stops working.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

@nj4ck just out of curiosity, how are you measuring the coolant temperature?

temp sensor in the reservoir.

Your cooling looks good as is, but if you just want another rad for the wow factor, go for it,it wont harm anything.

its not just the wow factor its that I'm approaching 50°C coolant temps when OCing the GPU, which is the max. operating temperature of the pump. Plus my GPU goes past 60°C, which is quite hot for a watercooled R9 290.

but the PSU kinda sucks.

Its gold rated, its silent and it works just fine. I think many people take the whole "don't cheap out on the PSU"-thing a little too serious, putting AX1200is in systems with 2 760s and a 4670k.

seems like you have an optimal cooling solution, perfect balance between water and air cooling.

its a shame the positioning of the hard drive cage and reservoir are not great.

True. I wish I could go full SSD and get rid of that cage all together, but until SSD prices come down, that ain't happening... :( btw, what do you mean by air cooling? Its fully water cooled, everything but the motherboard VRMs, that is. And I'm not sure if its optional, the temps are quite high for a custom loop, see OP...

Its gold rated, its silent and it works just fine. I think many people take the whole "don't cheap out on the PSU"-thing a little too serious, putting AX1200is in systems with 2 760s and a 4670k.

I'm not saying its a really low end PSU i'm just saying its not exactly high end.

I'm not saying its a really low end PSU i'm just saying its not exactly high end.

It is semi-modular, has japanese capacitors and is gold rated, that's good enough for me... I'll upgrade if I ever do crossfire in the future, but for now its been doing a great job.

Hey forum,

Snip for sizing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is what i would do.

Option 1

Carry the pump to the last hole and tighten it back how you have it, which was quite clever, and put a thick 120mm radiator with a fin density no lower than 20fpi like this or this and a strong static pressure fan.

Option 2

Another option would be to move the HDD cage where the bottom radiator is and take the pump off and put it on the bottom next to the HDD cage on the right and put a thick 240mm radiator in front. This would leave you with a 120mm radiator unused but you should get the cooling you want.

Option 3

This would utilize option 2 and then you can add the 120mm radiator that was on the bottom on the outside of the case in the back and run the tubes through the provide holes in the back. You surely would get the cooling you want then.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

This is what i would do.

Option 1

Carry the pump to the last hole and tighten it back how you have it, which was quite clever, and put a thick 120mm radiator with a fin density no lower than 20fpi like this or this and a strong static pressure fan.

Option 2

Another option would be to move the HDD cage where the bottom radiator is and take the pump off and put it on the bottom next to the HDD cage on the right and put a thick 240mm radiator in front. This would leave you with a 120mm radiator unused but you should get the cooling you want.

Option 3

This would utilize option 2 and then you can add the 120mm radiator that was on the bottom on the outside of the case in the back and run the tubes through the provide holes in the back. You surely would get the cooling you want then.

I might do option 2, however I won't be moving the HDD cage, I'll just completely remove it. I only need 1 of the 2 HDDs in there anyway, so I'm thinking about just sticking the SSD behind the motherboard tray and mounting the remaining HDD in front of the PSU, where the radiator is now. I'll probably just stick it in some sort of HDD cooler or some other type of case and use double sided tape to stick it to the bottom of the case. Then I'll put a thick 240mm radiator in the front and mount the pump right between the rad and the HDD on a foam sandwich. I don't think I'll be able to put the 120mm outside though, because the holes on the back are covered by the 360mm radiator in the top.. :(

Have you tried running the noiseblockers @12v? They're super quiet even under full power.

Oh the fans aren't the problem, its the "whoosh"-noise of the air going through the radiator that bothers me when I run them at 12V.

Oh the fans aren't the problem, its the "whoosh"-noise of the air going through the radiator that bothers me when I run them at 12V.

Fair enough, looking at your build, I'm going to suggest ditching the 120mm rad, move the pump to the floor, and stick a 240 in the front.

If there's enough room, maybe even mount the 120 on the rear exhaust.

Fair enough, looking at your build, I'm going to suggest ditching the 120mm rad, move the pump to the floor, and stick a 240 in the front.

If there's enough room, maybe even mount the 120 on the rear exhaust.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, I just need something to hide the HDD in, as I'm going to be mounting it to the floor right in front of the PSU, where it can be seen through the window. I wish I could use the 120mm as an exhaust, but the top 360mm radiator covers up half of it, so I guess that ain't happening...

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, I just need something to hide the HDD in, as I'm going to be mounting it to the floor right in front of the PSU, where it can be seen through the window. I wish I could use the 120mm as an exhaust, but the top 360mm radiator covers up half of it, so I guess that ain't happening...

I'm unfamiliar with that case, is there another set of mounting holes for the hdd cages? If there's not, you could always just move them back just enough to fit the rad and drill new holes in the floor for the mounting bolts. If they're using bolts to hold them to the floor that is, like is said, I'm unfamiliar :P

I'm unfamiliar with that case, is there another set of mounting holes for the hdd cages? If there's not, you could always just move them back just enough to fit the rad and drill new holes in the floor for the mounting bolts. If they're using bolts to hold them to the floor that is, like is said, I'm unfamiliar :P

mounting the HDD cage back there wouldn't be the problem, but it would be right in front of the window and quite frankly, it looks like crap with the HDDs in there. I'm also thinking about possibly crossfiring in the future, so I don't want it blocking the lower PCI slot. That's why I want just the single HDD tucked away in the bottom of the case, preferably inside of some sort of black enclosure.

mounting the HDD cage back there wouldn't be the problem, but it would be right in front of the window and quite frankly, it looks like crap with the HDDs in there. I'm also thinking about possibly crossfiring in the future, so I don't want it blocking the lower PCI slot. That's why I want just the single HDD tucked away in the bottom of the case, preferably inside of some sort of black enclosure.

Yep, hdd's are ugly. What if we get creative and mount the hdd's on the back of the motherboard tray? Is there room back there to mount the trays directly to the mobo tray and then slip the hard drives in?

Yep, hdd's are ugly. What if we get creative and mount the hdd's on the back of the motherboard tray? Is there room back there to mount the trays directly to the mobo tray and then slip the hard drives in?

That's an interesting idea, but how about the vibrations? I think I might just be able to squeeze the Seagate drive back there, but it vibrates quite a bit and there wouldn't be much room for dampening anything...

That's an interesting idea, but how about the vibrations? I think I might just be able to squeeze the Seagate drive back there, but it vibrates quite a bit and there wouldn't be much room for dampening anything...

You have any spare rubber ssd mounts? You could even put some dense foam under it.

Also, what about behind the 5.25 bay covers? Any room there?

I don't think I'll be able to put the 120mm outside though, because the holes on the back are covered by the 360mm radiator in the top.. :(

All you need to do is mount the outside 120mm radiator first then mount the 360mm radiator or use some radiator mounts for the one outside. XSPC has the cheapest ones i know of. Radiator mounts

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You have any spare rubber ssd mounts? You could even put some dense foam under it.

Also, what about behind the 5.25 bay covers? Any room there?

I'm afraid that wouldn't fit. The HDD itself would just BARELY fit, any rubber mounts and I'd be squeezing it against the side panel. And the 5.25 bays are gone because of the 360mm radiator, its just the covers. 

All you need to do is mount the outside 120mm radiator first then mount the 360mm radiator or use some radiator mounts for the one outside. XSPC has the cheapest ones i know of. Radiator mounts

yeah but there'd be no way of getting the tubing inside. I'd have to cut new holes, which I don't really want to do.