Modis - "How to Get a Job in the IT Industry" Live Chat

LinusTech

post-3-0-95120700-1402436163.jpg

So what is this?

This is an opportunity to do a LIVE Q&A session with Dan Pollock, Sr. Vice President of Modis - a leading IT staffing company. He and I have connected already briefly and I think this stream will be very interesting for folks looking to get into the IT industry as well as folks who are already in it, but looking for a bit of a change of pace.

The live Q&A and feedback session on June 12th, 2014 at 11am Pacific time

Click here to find out what time it is in your time zone

The main topics will be as follows:

- What are employers looking for?

- Are there jobs in the IT industry for non-programmers?

- How do I get started? What will it take for a company to notice me?

- How do I choose the right company for my own needs?

But of course like all of our live streams, it will be interactive and I really want to see you guys post your questions here as well as hit us on Twitter with anything you want to know about. We'll be working hard to make this stream as educational and entertaining as possible!

It will be streamed at http://twitch.tv/linustech.

Nice! I'd really like to ask whats the best way to have employers interested in you at a younger age? Such as school opportunities/clubs?

Diamond 5 in League :)

Ofc I'm going to Proserpine this morning till Friday and I'll completely miss this >.>

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Can't figure out how to fix it and Luke isn't here :(

Change the font and color. :)

Use a plain black and pick the font.

0bbee3cad2.png

Change the font and color. :)0bbee3cad2.png

ahhhhh that's the trick eh? changing just the colour never worked for me before so I wasn't sure how to fix it.

ahhhhh that's the trick eh? changing just the colour never worked for me before so I wasn't sure how to fix it.

That usually does it. Worked perfectly. Thanks. :) 

I wonder if anyone will ask how effective their service is. I can't attend the live stream. :(

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Thanks for doing that, I will see you at the stream. Let me know if you need help like you mentioned in your email. :)

@LinusTech, highlight your text and change the color to the 'Automatic' option.

EDIT: Nevermind :)

Nice! I'd really like to ask whats the best way to have employers interested in you at a younger age? Such as school opportunities/clubs?

Speak to your school guidance teacher, they will write your name down and email you when anything comes up in your area! It's great, I actually go for my induction to College(Doing engineering) tomorrow afternoon thanks to my school :D Good luck!

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

When other people know more about Linus' own forum...

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Sounds great,

My question is: "How much of an advantage would I have over other competitors just by having a portfolio of work to show?"

Will the stream be archived on YouTube for those of us that would be working while the stream is live?

• CPU - Intel x79 3820 @ 4.30 Ghz || Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme || RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator 1866 Mhz 4x4 || GPU - EVGA GTX 680 SLI (2x)

• Case - CM HAF-X || Storage - Corsair SSD 120GB/60GB WD 1TB Black || PSU - Corsair HX1050 || Display(s) - 3x@ 24" 1x Auxillary 19" || Cooling - Corsair H100

Keyboard - Mionix Zibal 60 || Mouse - Logitech G602

dammit it's Friday 2 AM for me.

Sorry to highjack the thread, I'm a Programmer at Ubisoft Montreal working on Far Cry 4, I'd be open to do something similar for someone looking to get into the gaming industry (if that's something you get asked by people too).

I have a question I've come to reality of but I wanted a second opinion. First, I received this opinion from a UC Davis Graduate who is currently working as a Software Engineer devloping the iOS framework for a game designed in HTML5 using Javascript and Angular.

Do Clubs really matter to an employer? Or are they generally just seen as a social club?

I understand it's a different matter for Clubs that are associated with the College itself but what about student based clubs?

Will the stream be archived on YouTube for those of us that would be working while the stream is live?

not on YouTube, but Modis will likely post it somewhere.

If Modis does upload the stream, please can you post the URL Linus? I'm really interested in this topic!

I've had such a struggle with school, I have dropped out of college courses multiple times, because of lack of interest. And have been extremely passionate about technology and computers, from building computers, to tech support, I've been doing those things for friends and family for a few years now. I am interested in going back to school and want to know where I should start?

oooh i am really looking forward to this 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

check linus's video broadcast list in twitch 

after it is aired obviously  :P

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M ||