A Feature Of iOS 8 randomly changes MAC Address when scanning for Wifi

One particular quirk, as just discovered by one eagle-eyed beta user, definitely advocates user privacy in that in randomizes your device’s MAC address before you connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot, which also serves as a kick in the teeth for companies whose entire business is based on logging and tracking this information.

When a device running iOS 7 or earlier goes out looking for a connection, it exposes your device’s MAC address. With some companies strategically placing hotspots in all manner of places – including trash cans – to get a hold of your data and log where you’re headed, iOS 8 fights your corner by obscuring your MAC address with a random, spoof address that periodically changes.

This means that not only is your real MAC address being protected, but these entities that thrive off the information will not be able to trace you, and given how accustomed we’ve become to having our rights waived in pandering to the corporate interest

You can see why some businesses have capitalized on this information divulged by your device’s straying signal. After all, it’s a good way of keeping track of, say, how many smartphone users are entering the vicinity – particularly if your product is of interest to this group – but with iOS 8, those utilizing this signal will have to look into alternative strategies.

iOS-8-MAC.png

So, among the many other less prominent features of iOS 8, Apple has now rolled out MAC address spoofing. Given how much of a vested interest Apple shows in protecting the privacy of its users, it’s not all that surprising, but nonetheless, it will be gratefully received by consumers and conversely, met with dismay by those in the field of data tracking and marketing.

Source: http://www.redmondpie.com/new-secret-feature-of-ios-8-strikes-a-massive-win-for-privacy-heres-how-it-works/

Does it always automaticly spoof the MAC adress or only when connecting for the first time? Otherwise things like binding permanent IP is impossible.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This, this i like, apple you done a good thing.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

That is actually such a beast feature.

Sadly not enough to counter the "no more headphone jacks" issue.

Pilates

That is actually such a beast feature.

Sadly not enough to counter the "no more headphone jacks" issue.

I don't think they'll remove the headphone jack. They're just making an option to get better audio out of a phone for audio enthusiasts. That was just a misconception when they release MFi for lightning headphones. And if they ever wanted to make the phone thinner they could just go with 2.5mm audio jack. And I do think Apple will be the first ones to remove the headphone jack but not until bluetooth headphones goes mainstream

I don't think they'll remove the headphone jack. They're just making an option to get better audio out of a phone for audio enthusiasts. That was just a misconception when they release MFi for lightning headphones. And if they ever wanted to make the phone thinner they could just go with 2.5mm audio jack. And I do think Apple will be the first ones to remove the headphone jack but not until bluetooth headphones goes mainstream

If you think that is a feature to improve sound quality for audio enthusiasts, you are very much mistaken. It is simply a means for Apple to further engulf you in their walled garden.

Pilates

Google, we need this on Android!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

And I do think Apple will be the first ones to remove the headphone jack but not until bluetooth headphones goes mainstream

Samsung have already released a phone that uses the USB connection to connect the headphones solely for eliminating the 2.5mm jack.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

goodbye router mac address filtering

Mac address filtering is 100% useless. It is pathetically easy to spoof a Mac address and get around filtering. Never use it.

Yes, I've read about this. It's great that Apple has done this. I don't need anyone tracking me, who does? Who knows what data those companies are obtaining. This is certainly going to get several organisations annoyed and possibly angry. But I say that they shouldn't be tracking and logging our information anyway, especially without our consent.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Extensions of 802.11d but in enterprise organisations if you're allowed to use their wireless on personal devices, there will be network/server side controls that override this anyway. Only beneficial for 'public' hotspots and being naughty on your neighbours wireless.

Badass. I wonder if advertisers will end up fighting this, but Apple tends to find a way to get what they want.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Out of curiosity does it also spoof the OUI part of the MAC? Or just everything after it?