Radiator is almost cooking

heyo,

So i recently watched TTL's 295x2 review where he said the radiator becomes uncomfortable hot for him. So i thought, how does my h100 on my stock 2600k feel?

The result was kinda shocking because it almost f*cking burnd my finger lol. The whole thing is just fucking glowing (not really but just stupidly hot)

CPU is at 70°C with 26°C ambient temp and i'm folding 24/7.

But is it right that its just so fucking hot? :D Btw, tubes and the block itself are hot as hell too!

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

id say take it out for a day or so if you have been folding for a long time, otherwise if your not running it under stressful conditions such as folding your fine 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

its 70c at stock clocks  should be cooler

no ? im getting sub 70c on my air cooler (thermalright 120)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

are you sure your not running your cpu at 1,6 volts or something? or you forgot to put fans on your radiator :P or perhaps the fans aren't running at all, honestly those are the two only scenarios where i can see this making sense.. even a plain single 120mm radiator shouldn't get THAT hot.

cpu temp that high with an h100 either means the mounting is absolutely terrible, but in that case there would be very little heat transferring to the radiator/waterblock in the first place, so we can probably rule that one out, you don't have 4 fans mounted in the wrong orientation blowing the air against eachother do you? either way something very fundamental is wrong here.

I suggest you mount the radiator outside of the case and use some good fans to keep your room warm...

My temps go up like 1°C/h anyways lol

id say take it out for a day or so if you have been folding for a long time, otherwise if your not running it under stressful conditions such as folding your fine

yeah well, but it'll return to that point very quickly after that ^^

its 70c at stock clocks  should be cooler

no ? im getting sub 70c on my air cooler (thermalright 120)

Yeah, stock 2600k 3,4ghz. You have the same cpu? How high are your temps under 100% load for like 30mins?

are you sure your not running your cpu at 1,6 volts or something? or you forgot to put fans on your radiator :P or perhaps the fans aren't running at all, honestly those are the two only scenarios where i can see this making sense.. even a plain single 120mm radiator shouldn't get THAT hot.

cpu temp that high with an h100 either means the mounting is absolutely terrible, but in that case there would be very little heat transferring to the radiator/waterblock in the first place, so we can probably rule that one out, you don't have 4 fans mounted in the wrong orientation blowing the air against eachother are you? either way something very fundamental is wrong here.

CPU-Z gives me 1.056v ^^

I have push/pull with NoiseBlocker Pl2's in Pull and Enermax T.B. Apollish in pull (just for the looks actually)

And yeah i thought the same thing with the bad mount but then nothing should heat up so badly other than the cpu ^^

Edit:

8yPOfZj.png

Edit2:

Fans are all at 40% btw. And i checkd the pumps rpm, which is around 2100 so perfect. Kinda weird.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

I think you should get some new thermal paste and change it out on both your cpu and gpu.

\

I think you should get some new thermal paste and change it out on both your cpu and gpu.

why gpu? O.o

I recently switched from the preapplied on the h100 to MX-2 tho. I saw the temps increasing a bit but that could just as well be the summer coming actually ^^

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

why gpu? O.o

I recently switched from the preapplied on the h100 to MX-2 tho. I saw the temps increasing a bit but that could just as well be the summer coming actually ^^

I swapped out the thermal paste on my GPU and the tests dropped by like 15-18c :P

\

You'll have to explain to me what difference that will make to a radiator that's getting hot.

Was just suggesting he changes out the thermal paste. Nothing about the radiator...

\

My friend recently replaced the thermal paste on his GPU and it died a few days after that... though he's a complete hardware newbie so might not be a huge deal here. Still though, take real care when doing that.

You'll have to explain to me what difference that will make to a radiator that's getting hot.

Water gets heated running over the CPU --> Hot water goes through radiator --> Radiator gets hotter --> Fans blow air across the radiator fins to move the heat away ==> Hotter CPU = Hotter water = Hotter radiator.

Water gets heated running over the CPU --> Hot water goes through radiator --> Radiator gets hotter --> Fans blow air across the radiator fins to move the heat away ==> Hotter CPU = Hotter water = Hotter radiator.

I've been a diesel fitter for 20 years, I have an understanding of basic thermal dynamics. My question was, how would changing the thermal paste make the radiator run cooler?

I've been a diesel fitter for 20 years, I have an understanding of basic thermal dynamics. My question was, how would changing the thermal paste make the radiator run cooler?

He just explained it to you... You're denying help

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Well, seeing as how you've been a diesel fitter for 20 years you should've understood without my help... no?

No, really though, I forgot to point out that Changing thermal paste --> CPU runs cooler --> etc. etc.

He just explained it to you... You're denying help

Well, seeing as how you've been a diesel fitter for 20 years you should've understood without my help... no?

No, really though, I forgot to point out that Changing thermal paste --> CPU runs cooler --> etc. etc.

A hot radiator would indicate he has excellent thermal transfer through the cpu block and thermal paste, the only reason the cpu runs cooler is because more heat is being carried to the radiator. I don't think either of you have a clue actually and are just a couple of people who rush into blaming thermal paste, which makes no sense when the OP's problem is that his radiator is getting too hot apparently.

If he had bad thermal transfer, the radiator would be cold and his cpu overheating, then you can say check your TIM.

in actual fact, changing the paste causes the rad to run hotter since more heat in being transferred to the rad at a quicker rate. (considering the fans on the rad is the limiting factor)

you can't change how much heat the cpu outputs unless you change the voltage / load. Swapping to a better thermal paste improves the heat transfer resulting in a hotter rad, colder core temp.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

A hot radiator would indicate he has excellent thermal transfer through the cpu block and thermal paste, the only reason the cpu runs cooler is because more heat is being carried to the radiator. I don't think either of you have a clue actually and are just a couple of people who rush into blaming thermal paste, which makes no sense when the OP's problem is that his radiator is getting too hot apparently.

If he had bad thermal transfer, the radiator would be cold and his cpu overheating, then you can say check your TIM.

Ah yeah, didn't think about that..

And as for the second sentence all I can say is: Meh, I was really just working off of another person's theory, but it was like in the early stages of a poker game where it looked like I was going to get a royal flush but then I got bad cards from the draw and it just didn't pan out. I appreciate your catty remarks, however............

Are the fans functioning alright? No under-voltaging or anything else like that to make them run at like 400 RPM? Maybe one of the pairs (I recall you saying it was push-pull) have stopped and are just blocking the air flow from the other pair? Maybe you need another rad to share the load?

Or maybe you shouldn't be worried about this at all? As was pointed out above, if there was ever a problem it would be your rads being cold--as it would mean your CPU didn't get rid of the heat efficiently enough and it would overheat.

q

One time I forgot to turn my fans on when I started gaming, liquid in my loop hit like 55 C, touched one of the rads out of curiosity, burned my finger as well like you did lol.  

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

CPU-Z gives me 1.056v ^^

I have push/pull with NoiseBlocker Pl2's in Pull and Enermax T.B. Apollish in pull (just for the looks actually)

And yeah i thought the same thing with the bad mount but then nothing should heat up so badly other than the cpu ^^

Edit2:

Fans are all at 40% btw. And i checkd the pumps rpm, which is around 2100 so perfect. Kinda weird.

well considering your radiator and your cpu is running hot i can only imagine something being wrong with the fans/airflow that is actually supposed to help dissipate that heat, your cpu shouldn't be running that hot, but that might just be because your rad is too hot as if the heat is trapped in the rad as opposed to being carried away with the air, you can actually feel warm air being exhausted through the back of the rad right? maybe double check that the fan are sitting in the right orientation? 

well considering your radiator and your cpu is running hot i can only imagine something being wrong with the fans/airflow that is actually supposed to help dissipate that heat, your cpu shouldn't be running that hot, but that might just be because your rad is too hot as if the heat is trapped in the rad as opposed to being carried away with the air, you can actually feel warm air being exhausted through the back of the rad right? maybe double check that the fan are sitting in the right orientation?

i triple check everything and the fans are configured correctly ^^.

But now with the fans at 100% i'm down to 60°C on the cpu and the rad doesn't feel that hot anymore \o/ Its still pretty warm tho, but since almost all fans are PL2 it isnt annoyingly loud.

What is weird tho is, that the RAM is still uber hot. Feels like 70°C (feels like the rad before), is that normal for ram since you always read ram cooling isnt important at all. (is it just based on the performance increase you get with cooler over overheating ram, which is basically nothing or what? :D)

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

70C is what, 135F? ish..

Yeah, it'll feel hot at those temps.. Cooked food is supposed to be at 165F and sticking your finger in a pot pie fresh out of the oven is not advisable.  I'd just make sure that the tube moving water from the radiator to components is cooler than the tube w/water moving into it. If that's not happening, I'd check your fins to make sure none are bent, clean out your radiator as it may have a lot of dust, or buy new fans/better fans.

It also doesn't help that your fans are only at 40%. You're probably not using enough surface area to cool your components well at 40% fan speeds, meaning you'd wanna add another 240mm or switch your current setup to something bigger + better fans to compensate for lower RPM fan speeds.

A combination of any of this should help a bit, but I highly recommend the latter.

I think their is some human error here. I think realistically something is negatively affecting your airflow which you might not be realizing. Maybe your GPU is exhausting hot air onto your radiator? What graphics card do you have and where is your radiator situated in your case?

Remove fans and check for dust buildup in the radiator?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Changing thermal paste wouldn't affect how hot the radiator goes.

Curing shitposts by shitposts