Would you like to see a hacker run linux/windows on a ps4/xbox one?

FakezZ

Well I was thinking today that, since both the ps4 and xb1 use x86 architectures, it won't take long for a hacker to bypass sony's or microsoft's security and install a real os on them. But would you like to see something like thay happen? I sure would :)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I've seen linux on the Xb360, so it shouldn't be too hard

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

There was a relatively active homebrew community for the ps3 (dispite its cell architecture) for a while, but sony started banning people from PSN with unofficial software on their machines after a while.

So i think sony and MS have probably locked them completely down to prevent this kind of thing this gen

Maybe we can still see an alternate os on next-gen, but it wont be soon.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

I'll never try, because I'll never buy one...

But I would chuckle at seeing it, and seeing the company get ruffled.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

would be really cool, but I don't think it would be very functional and the OS isn't optimised for the slow specs

Oh my god yesss!

I see limited functionality though due to no drivers for the OS.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

it doesnt matter that its running x86 or not

ps3 has the ability to run linux using the otherOs function back in the day and JB now

the main issue that its not your average  pc

even if it was hacked wide open u can just install windows on it

you cant take full advantage of the hardware

lack of drivers etc etc etc etc

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well I was thinking today that, since both the ps4 and xb1 use x86 architectures, it won't take long for a hacker to bypass sony's or microsoft's security and install a real os on them. But would you like to see something like thay happen? I sure would :)

Well I was thinking today that, since both my Core i7-3770K (2012) and my Intel 8086 (1978) both use the x86 architecture, it won't take long for a hacker to run Windows on the 8086.

TL;DR The architecture is the least of your worries in that situation. Everything uses x86 these days except for ARM.

(if you're reading this, MG2R, know that this IS another jab at x86)

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'll never try, because I'll never buy one...

But I would chuckle at seeing it, and seeing the company get ruffled.

Exactly! And then everyone would pirate games on their console xD

Well I was thinking today that, since both my Core i7-3770K (2012) and my Intel 8086 (1978) both use the x86 architecture, it won't take long for a hacker to run Windows on the 8086.

TL;DR The architecture is the least of your worries in that situation. Everything uses x86 these days except for ARM.

(if you're reading this, MG2R, know that this IS another jab at x86)

Yeah true I guess :/

I hope they try to run SteamOS on one. That'd be funny.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I hope they try to run SteamOS on one. That'd be funny.

LOL! That would make GabeN happy :P

I don't think it will take long for it to happen. With the same architecture it will be even easier and no matter what MS and Sony do to try and stop it someone will break through.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.