Are My Specs Good Enough For Folding?

Sometimes I leave the computer on when I sleep, so I've decided I might aswell do something useful with it. . . . Just wondering who else here folds and what ideally should the set up be? 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

I fold sometimes.

There really isn't such thing as an optimal setup for folding. I believe performance scales linearly 

Well you have a good CPU cooler, and an all around good system, so I would say yes, I guess.

There is no real optimal folding setup really in terms of CPU/GPU, everything gets PPD linearly I think so all you need is good cooling.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I fold sometimes.

There really isn't such thing as an optimal setup for folding. I believe performance scales linearly

What exactly is folding I've heard of it but I don't completely understand it?

What exactly is folding I've heard of it but I don't completely understand it?

I've downloaded chrome app . . . (I should say I have read the main post in this part of forum but it's all abit confusing)

and its asking me what team I am folding for? 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Ok, so I've requested passkey, i should fold for team linus? 

Ok, so I've requested passkey, i should fold for team linus? 

That is your choice.

I decided foldings not for me, fans ramp up like crazy

I know I thought so . . . . Fold while you sleep they said

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I occasionally fold using the Chrome App. I have the stock Intel cooler. I fold lightly. It's only slightly louder than idling. I have 100k points.

What fan is on your H80i?

ok that what I thought Wikipedia was trying to say thanks for the visual

I occasionally fold using the Chrome App. I have the stock Intel cooler. I fold lightly. It's only slightly louder than idling. I have 100k points.

Do you have the link for the app?

sp120's

I have that app too , , , I might use it occasionally 

haha, i love that comment. Honestly if you are using the stock fans on that h80i it's just the crappy fans playing tricks on you, they are incredibly noisy and run at high rpm's, configure your fans in the corsair link software, or if you don't like dealing with that as many of us don't, do it in the bios.

Regardless you should be capable of folding pretty silently just fine with that cpu cooler and cpu combo, restrict the fan rpm's and check your temps, i absolutely despise having my fans ramp up and down based on the temperature so i always have them running at a constant rpm, they will only start to ramp up if the cpu goes to 75*c + which is more of a safety measure than anything, i don't run that high unless i'm experimenting with the clock speeds.

if your temps are high it might be due to bad mounting, lots of mounting issues and trickery to get the aio coolers from corsair to sit properly..

I thought folding with a GPU was a loss/tiny profit?

hm.. you might be thinking of mining instead of folding, boinc folding and mining are separate things, you don't do folding for profit, it's just voluntary work for the sake of science and progress.

your gigabyte card can run very cool and quiet with a custom fan profile -do that.

Your cpu might give you 10-15k ppd, that 280x should do closer to 70k ppd by it's self.

Download the client, learn how to use the advanced stuff. You'll get more points and you can easily limit how much you do.

i'd at least run the gpu at night as it can be very quiet. Your cpu is watercooled and not a k sku, i don't see why you cant shut those fans up too.

I fold with my atom 230 that is passively cooled, 1 gig of ram, and a power brick from a laptop. The thing has run no stop for 6 months, It might not help as much, but it every little bit counts.

"WOOOOOOSH" ROFL!  :D

Redliquid~

Haha, I just do the erm, google app now, on corsair link set to quiet it doesn't go above 55c and the fans are of an acceptable decible. I probably woulda done the same with official app but for some crazy reason that thing kicked in when I was using the computer. lol