iOS 8 Can Scan Credit Card Information Using The Device’s Camera

The folks at 9to5Mac have been doing a little digging into iOS 8 beta 1 and found that Apple wishes to make a more concerted push in the world of mobile payments. With no NFC thus far – although some reports have suggested that the next iPhone may pack such technology – Apple’s only noteworthy gesture has been with the voucher-focused Passbook app, but within iOS 8 lies a neat little feature that lets a user scan credit card information using the camera.

The user will need to be using the Safari Web browser, and when navigating through the payment process on a site like Amazon, the camera can then be used to scan a credit card. This does away with the rather tiresome rigmarole of entering details manually, and will serve as an alternative option to the traditional AutoFill.

Given that Apple already allows users to scan iTunes voucher codes in, this is not exactly a new idea, but given that it is integrated natively, will surely help to streamline the payment processes of those using iOS 8.

safari-ios-8-credit-card-scan-01.png

Source: http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-8-can-scan-credit-card-information-using-the-devices-camera/

It's "cool", I guess, although I don't really see the point. You'll still need to flip the card and manually type the CCV, and the fact that you have to use Safari means that you must always swtich to another browser for the payment if you usually use Chrome for example. It's not as if typing the numbers was tedious, or that autofill didn't exist.

But eh, since the technology was already there (ex: itunes vouchers), then it's a plus if you can save a few seconds using this. ^^

Do you know what's better than trying to take a picture of your credit card in a store with low-light conditions and dealing with turning on the phone's camera light which causes an over-saturation of color in these low-light conditions causing the camera to fail capturing the precise and accurate information required to scan said credit card information for mobile payment?

NFC.

Not wanting to use widely adopted NFC

Not wanting to use the widely adopted Qi wireless standard

Apple is awesome

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Because with NFC you pay in online shops ...

omg ...

OMG!!!!!!

APPLE!!!!!!!

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

It's not as if typing the numbers was tedious, or that autofill didn't exist.

with autofill you have to store that data somewhere ....

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

with autofill you have to store that data somewhere ....

Of course, just like your passwords are stored by a browser autofill. So?

It is written in the OP that this is an alternative to autofill, I would assume that the iPhones already have this feature - I don't know as I don't have one. If they do have this feature, then I would also assume that it is very secure considering how Apple prones the security with their devices.

Get ready, because this thread is going to continue to evolve into a big shit.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)