Is it just me, or has N4G's community declined?

BallGum

I occasionally write about games, and sometimes I, or a friend, submit them to N4G. 
But the fanboyism is just on another level. It results in reports and such.

Here's a scenario of what happened, quite recently.

I wrote about why I thought the devs went with 30 fps on Forza over 60. Let me quote the article, so you can see for yourself.

Articles of this type are usually avoided; there's not usually much to say, and there isn't much value. There are also the claims of fanboyism . This time that's not the case, and I'll explain why.

Forza Horizon 2 was announced yesterday, an exclusive racing game for the Xbox One. Before we go any further, let's acknowledge one important truth; That the Xbox One isn't quite as powerful as the PS4. Now, this isn't to say the PS4 is better, that is a whole other discussion I'd rather avoid. The importance of this is up to you, the consumer. But I digress.

Back to Forza Horizon 2. The short of it is that the developers prioritised resolution over framerate, making the title run at 1080P but at 30FPS. Here's their reason for the decision.

At any rate, this is always a bad compromise, but it gets worse for a racing game.

30FPS isn't too bad for shooters on console, as the speed at which you look around is constant, and usually quite slow. Compare that to a mouse, where the speed varies dramatically, meaning that a higher framerate is necessary on PC.

But, in a racing game, regardless of platform, speed is everything. Cars are moving fast and to portray that speed smoothly, you need a high framerate. Choosing 1080P at 30FPS in this case just doesn't make sense, a lower resolution at 60FPS would be significantly better. This isn't exclusive to Forza (apparently, DriveClub was also locked at 30FPS).

Microsoft had a hand in this, in order to quell the idea of the Xbox one being incapable of 1080P. Its fairly apparent that they want to seem equal to the PS4 in terms of hardware and graphics, but they're just not. This is fact, and not fanboyism, and it's a hard truth.

The Xbox One is a perfectly great system. Microsoft should focus solely on games, developers, and pushing a solid online experience, rather than engaging in, what I call, the "Great Framerate and Resolution War of 2014". They have exclusives, and great software, and they need to show that off as much as possible.

Resolution is important, and isn't "just a number", but if you have to compromise somewhere, at least make the right compromise.

I tell it like it is. The PS4 is more powerful, it's a hard truth. I didn't say it was better in any way. But I was called out as a fanboy, and one person was trolling in the report section by saying I should remove the next gen tag as its used for PS5 and Xbox 2.

My friend commented about choice, that if we had a simple switch to choose between 30 and 60 fps. 4 disagreements, and a reply saying that such a thing was impossible. I suppose they've never played on a PC.

I'm just hoping it was a bad day, and I happened to post while all the Xbox Fanboys were out. But in the event I was missing something, please tell me if I appeared biased here, cos I'm genuinely not on the side of the PS4 or XB1. Everybody knows PC is the best.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Control A, click on the button to the left of the smilie face and "My Media", select automatic color. 

I've never heard of N4G in my life, so there's that. 

Error: 410

I would also like to know what N4G is...

Control A, click on the button to the left of the smilie face and "My Media", select automatic color. 

I've never heard of N4G in my life, so there's that. 

Basically, it operates similarly to this forum, Users submit content, the content goes through an approval process (10 votes for the content), and then it is available to view. The more hits the content gets, the higher up the list. This is a huge help for new sites, as your content can get shared quickly and easily, and you can grow your account. Unfortunately their system isn't fanboy proof.

Could I ask if I seemed biased here though?

Basically, it operates similarly to this forum, Users submit content, the content goes through an approval process (10 votes for the content), and then it is available to view. The more hits the content gets, the higher up the list. This is a huge help for new sites, as your content can get shared quickly and easily, and you can grow your account. Unfortunately their system isn't fanboy proof.

Could I ask if I seemed biased here though?

Have you watched TotalBuscuits video on the subject? It's quite good and as usual he makes a rational argument why lower resolution and increased fps is preferable over high resolution an lower fps.

It's still a personal preference though.

Have you watched TotalBuscuits video on the subject? It's quite good and as usual he makes a rational argument why lower resolution and increased fps is preferable over high resolution an lower fps.

It's still a personal preference though.

Yeah I did. I only recently began watching, and it really helps give my own thoughts a little bit more credibility when they're the same as his, which is pretty cool.

I didn't go into too much detail about the topic here though. I may edit it after an exam tomorrow.