Fans not turning off after shutdown

Hey people,

I just set up a brand new computer with an i7-4770k cooled by an Antec Kuhler 920, Gigabyte Z87X UD TH, Corsair RM850, Corsair Vengeance Pro 8Gb(2x 4Gb) 2400MHz and a Gigabyte R9 290(947MHz).

When I press Shutdown in Windows, the monitor goes off as does the leds in the motherboard, but the fans keep on running: the ones connected to the motherboard aswell as the ones connected to the PSU and the Antec Kuhler led stays on.

I double checked cabling, I got both 12v 8 pin and 4 pin EPU cables connected, 24pin ATX is also in the right place.

I initially thought it could be the the front panel connectors, but I disconnected them all and powered the computer on with the button on the motherboard, with the same results when shutting down.

Any guidance would be well appreciated!

Do they keep spinning when you unplug the PC completeley? If not, it would eleminate the possibility, that electricity is passed by your monitor through your GPU into the system. Sounds spooky, but it can happen.

who cares...

it's an OS problem

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Do they keep spinning when you unplug the PC completeley? If not, it would eleminate the possibility, that electricity is passed by your monitor through your GPU into the system. Sounds spooky, but it can happen.

how can something keep on on working after unpluging it ?! i mean like a small lamp stays on for a wile but a computer ? NO

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

how can something keep on on working after unpluging it ?! i mean like a small lamp stays on for a wile but a computer ? NO

Did you even read his whole post...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Did you even read his whole post...

Yes .

Hey people,

I just set up a brand new computer with an i7-4770k cooled by an Antec Kuhler 920, Gigabyte Z87X UD TH, Corsair RM850, Corsair Vengeance Pro 8Gb(2x 4Gb) 2400MHz and a Gigabyte R9 290(947MHz).

When I press Shutdown in Windows, the monitor goes off as does the leds in the motherboard, but the fans keep on running: the ones connected to the motherboard aswell as the ones connected to the PSU and the Antec Kuhler led stays on.

I double checked cabling, I got both 12v 8 pin and 4 pin EPU cables connected, 24pin ATX is also in the right place.

I initially thought it could be the the front panel connectors, but I disconnected them all and powered the computer on with the button on the motherboard, with the same results when shutting down.

Silly question maybe ,but are you sure you pressed shutdown and not sleep?

Got a spare psu by any chance?, could be that it's the psu causing it.

Yes .

Then how would you be confused on how it would keep working? Look at what he said.

electricity is passed by your monitor through your GPU into the system.  it can happen.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

there you go:

who cares...

Then how would you be confused on how it would keep working? Look at what he said.

he said nothing about unpluging his PC and they keep on spining for long !

there you go:

it's still a different sroty here, that seems like an old beat up PC so no wonder supernatural stuff happen with it, and as i said it used to happen to me with my previous rig and it was my OS that was brocken

he said nothing about unpluging his PC and they keep on spining for long !

OK i dont know what you are saying.

OP said his fans kept spinning after power off.

O15 said power could be going in through GPU and monitor, and to test for that, unplug the system and see if fans still spin. If they still spin then power is going in through GPU/monitor. If not it is something else.

it's still a different sroty here, that seems like an old beat up PC so no wonder supernatural stuff happen with it, and as i said it used to happen to me with my previous rig and it was my OS that was brocken

I just quickly searched a video showing the issue, because i known that that phenomenon can happen. I was just guessing. :D If that VGA power is the problem, he would search for it a long time before he would find the right solution. So why not try that first. :)

who cares...

OK i dont know what you are saying.

OP said his fans kept spinning after power off.

O15 said power could be going in through GPU and monitor, and to test for that, unplug the system and see if fans still spin. If they still spin then power is going in through GPU/monitor. If not it is something e

he said he turns it off put not completly unplug it

I just quickly searched a video showing the issue, because i known that that phenomenon can happen. I was just guessing. :D If that VGA power is the problem, he would search for it a long time before he would find the right solution. So why not try that first. :)

agreed, if not it is an OS Problem

he said he turns it off put not completly unplug it

IK...

But O15 said to unplug it to see ifg thats the problem.

If you dont get it, i give up.

IK...

But O15 said to unplug it to see ifg thats the problem.

If you dont get it, i give up.

i'm talking about the original OP post

i'm talking about the original OP post

IK...

BUt O15 said to umplug it to see if thats the problem.

I give up.

IK.

BUt O15 said to umplug it to see if thats the problem.

I give up.

i know goddamn it, it's just that's not the case

i know goddamn it, it's just that's not the case

You dont know that until he unplugs it!

When I turn the PSU switch off, everything turns off. I have an HDMI cable from the monitor to the GPU, no idea if it could be that.

I'll see if I can get a spare PSU to test if it's a PSU issue.

Well, I replaced my RM850 with an XFX 750w Black Edition and it's still happening... I've been building PCs for the past 10+ years and this is the first time I had this happen.

Well, I replaced my RM850 with an XFX 750w Black Edition and it's still happening... I've been building PCs for the past 10+ years and this is the first time I had this happen.

I had that happen to me once (5 years ago) but in my case it ended up beeing the psu supplying 5v even when it was off.

Try if it also happens on a live cd(ubuntu for example) if it does happen again, try flashing the motherboard to the latest bios if it isn't already.

Hey people,

Solved.... from your motherboards webpage.http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4781#ovc71e1efcaa.jpg

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

I had that happen to me once (5 years ago) but in my case it ended up beeing the psu supplying 5v even when it was off.

Try if it also happens on a live cd(ubuntu for example) if it does happen again, try flashing the motherboard to the latest bios if it isn't already.

Also happens on an Ubuntu 14.04 Live CD.

Solved.... from your motherboards webpage.http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4781#ovc71e1efcaa.jpg

Okay, I've been fiddling with the BIOS and have no idea how to disable this OC Ignition thing.

I trying turning shutting down the computer then hitting the OC Ignition button on the mobo to see if it would turn the whole system down but... Nope.

This is getting on my nerves...

I'll try to reassemble my old X58 rig into working conditions and test the RM850 and the memory sticks on it. Maybe the Z87X UD7 TH is the culprit.

Thanks for the help so far!