Static Electricity

gts250ftw

Hey guys (austin evans voice)

I was wondering how many of you actually lost pc components to static electricity?

i never cared about it when building a pc and it has never affected me (yet)

when i was younger i built my first pc with an msi k9 (am2 board) it turned out that it was shorting on the pc case because it DIDNT USE STANDOFFS LOL and that pc is still working today

another instance is in my second build...i built it on carpet (somtimes dragging the mobo across the carpet to me) and it worked fine

in my opinion pc parts are pretty resilient (who hasnt straightened out a pin on their amd processor with their hands) (no pushpoint pencil handy)

I doubt you'll find anyone here

it's like the shark attack of PC building

And that's for someone not in Australia, Florida, Hawaii, or Australia. 

Error: 410

I doubt you'll find anyone here

it's like the shark attack of PC building

And that's for someone not in Australia, Florida, Hawaii, or Australia. 

Is that so terrible in Australia that you had to mention it twice? :lol:

On topic: Nope. Never lost anything to static electricity.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Nope i think its getting less and less likely with modern parts. its like the old magnetic problem 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

nope i have only lost parts to the failure of other parts and age but never static. I lost 3 video cards to a shuttle barebones system i bought off someone lol and a few hard drives after years of abuse and a mother board to the Capacitor plague.

Nope. Never here.  

This one time me and my buddy wanted to take apart his old laptop just for the hell of it to see how crappy and dirty it was inside, without any care in the world if we put it back together properly and having it work again.

It was, very, crappy and dirty.  It wasn't until I was putting the screws back in that I didn't lose that I saw a shock come off of one of the screw tips onto the motherboard, then a little crackling sound.

I then realized I had taken the whole thing apart, twisted things around, poked things with a metal screwdriver and everything all with the battery plugged in!

Well, that laptop still works to this day, and we call it Frankenstein.

Not exactly static, but similar.

Most PC parts or even laptop parts are fairly resilient to those kinds of things.  But, you do get the odd "Oh noes! I zapped my 500$ GPU!!!" horror stories here and there.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

Nope, I don't tihnk it happens to a lot of people

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

Never lost anything to static electricity, but I always do take reasonable precautions against it when I'm handling electronics.

I guess its better to be safe than sorry. It'd be awfully sad if someone loses a component to their own carelessness.

Can components damaged from static electricity be returned if it is covered by warranty? (is there a way to determine how it was damaged?)