Headphones for Highs

Hi Guys,

My brother is looking to buy a pair of headphones for about £200-£300 ($350-$450) and listens to a lot of folk rock, psychedelic rock (things from the late 60's) and therefore needs a pair that deal with the whole frequency range, specifically higher pitches.

Any recommendations (preferably with links)?

He's just running these from basic audio devices like his Macbook or Nexus 5 so no DAC or AMP (sadly)

Thanks,

cjsun9

cjsun9

the most expensive Sennheiser HD he can afford would be a good bet, which would be HD600  http://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600

EDIT!!!!! actually scrap that... without a amp/dac he cant really run those..

Edited by Rorgash

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

the most expensive Sennheiser HD he can afford would be a good bet, which would be HD600  http://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600

EDIT!!!!! actually scrap that... without a amp/dac he cant really run those..

They're pretty sensitive, and don't require a ton of amping.

If he has a bit of patience, he can get a Stax rig (Lambda family) off ebay for that. Perfect for his needs.

Audio Technica lines have good balanced mid and highs, but not so much bass. Good value over price. Not insanely good sounding, but quite nice. 

Talking about Senns, I prefer the 650 more than the 600, meaning it's worth the extra $100 of the price tag compared to the 600, imo. 

If he has a bit of patience, he can get a Stax rig (Lambda family) off ebay for that. Perfect for his needs.

:rolleyes:

if you like higher pitches (treble), you could take a look at AKG's headphone though they kinda lack bass.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Talking about Senns, I prefer the 650 more than the 600, meaning it's worth the extra $100 of the price tag compared to the 600, imo. 

Only a $35 difference on Amazon.com

They're pretty sensitive, and don't require a ton of amping.

300Ohms, normal headphones dont generally go over 60... 

Something like the AKG 701 or the Audiotechnica ATH-AD900x; -AD700x might be a good idea. All of those can be used without an extra amp (although the 701's are harder to drive and many people actually recommend an amp for them) and they all have really nice and clear highs. I personally love my AD-900x for rock/metal, for jazz and for classical music. If he wants a bit more bass then the closed-back version (ATH-A900x) might be a good choice. They should all be in your price range.

Only a $35 difference on Amazon.com

My bad, I saw the price difference on the Senn's website, from the link on the 2nd post. 

300Ohms, normal headphones dont generally go over 60... 

Impedance is only 1 factor. The other is sensitivity (X dB/mW). Take Hifiman's HE-6 for example, it's only rated at 50 ohms, but it's one of the hardest to drive headphone on the market (because of its low sensitivity), I think harder than the Beyer's 250 ohms lines.

My bad, I saw the price difference on the Senn's website, from the link on the 2nd post. 

Impedance is only 1 factor. The other is sensitivity (X dB/mW). Take Hifiman's HE-6 for example, it's only rated at 50 ohms, but it's one of the hardest to drive headphone on the market (because of its low sensitivity), I think harder than the Beyer's 250 ohms lines.

aah, nice to learn new things :)