The real reason Watch Dogs was not as good as it was expected.

meritmaster

I recently looked into the development of watchdogs, and realized something after hearing it on the radio, and looking it up; it seems true.

Ubisoft asking for "time" to perfect the game wasn't exactly true; the developers didn't have the money to finish the game; this is due the Ubisofts stocks dropping, and falling hard.

It seems Ubisoft released the game without even completing it due to lack of funds. Ubisoft couldn't, and wouldn't want to waste all that money spent on watch dogs, so they rushed it through.

So there is a reason why we saw a different game earlier; it was downsized later.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/16/ubisoft-stock-drops-25-percent-following-delays-earnings-adjustments--.aspx

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/16/ubisoft-shares-drop-25-percent-following-delays/

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Stock drops happen no matter what industry you're in when it comes to delays.

Also, how is the game "incomplete"?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Stocks drop, but don't plummet often; Ubisofts stocks are dropping fast, and not healing for a year.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Also, how is the game "incomplete"?

Lack of content would be better; just because it has a ending doesn't mean it was complete; the game was promised to be more than what it was.

~Abraham Lincoln

There's a lot to it, but it's obvious they could have done so much more with everything,

I just haven't heard anything about the game except from TotalBiscuit. So I haven't played it nor do I want it spoiled. It can't be as incomplete as Halo 2.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

This doesn't respond why the game performs like shit on pc, as for the game being incomplete seems like a very odd excuse, my cousin has it and for what I see the game has a crap ton of side mission and collectibles

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It can't be as incomplete as Halo 

O it is, and it hurts.

~Abraham Lincoln

No the real reason is because of hype, i love hype, such an awesome feeling but you need to realise what can be done with the technology of today, what the dev team can do with their fundings and what our systems can do, scratch that, what the consoles can do because they are the common denominator, for pay to play games consoles are still the leading factors as a result dev teams will go for them, of course in f2p and such pc followed by mobile are miles ahead. We all need to take a moment try to be a bit more realistic, the game is great but people were expecting a lot more from the company when they just dont have the resources. Remember companies have a lot of marketing strategy, it isnt just ubisoft maybe you guys should think back to when every xbox one game and some ps4 games ran on pc in their reveal. Death with the previous gen because it is holding us back.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This doesn't respond why the game performs like shit on pc, as for the game being incomplete seems like a very odd excuse, my cousin has it and for what I see the game has a crap ton of side mission and collectibles

They didn't have the money, or time to optimize it, and also that whole Nvdia thing...

The side missions have 4 variants each.

A good comparison to the game would be The Spider Man game that came out years ago(not the new one). There was a lot of things to do, but the variety was poor.

~Abraham Lincoln

Even if they had more money they would have spend most of it to make it run better on the consoles: Don't kid yourselves to think Ubisoft gives a single fuck about PC gaming, they wouldn't force uplay and 2 levels of DRM on us if they did.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No the real reason is because of hype, i love hype, such an awesome feeling but you need to realise what can be done with the technology of today, what the dev team can do with their fundings and what our systems can do, scratch that, what the consoles can do because they are the common denominator, for pay to play games consoles are still the leading factors as a result dev teams will go for them, of course in f2p and such pc followed by mobile are miles ahead. We all need to take a moment try to be a bit more realistic, the game is great but people were expecting a lot more from the company when they just dont have the resources. Remember companies have a lot of marketing strategy, it isnt just ubisoft maybe you guys should think back to when every xbox one game and some ps4 games ran on pc in their reveal. Death with the previous gen because it is holding us back.

The hype died down in the last year, and was not more expected than the yearly CoD. When a company says there game was next gen, but it turned out to be a really good last gen like title, and nothing that i would define as exceptional to the previous generation.

I would define GTA V a next gen like game, and it was devolved on old console, so consoles are not weighing anything down.

All the development for Watch Dogs was on the PC anyhow 

~Abraham Lincoln

The real reason it wasn't as good as expected was because people forgot that Ubisoft Montreal, for the most part, is a mediocre dev studio. >_>

The real reason it wasn't as good as expected was because people forgot that Ubisoft Montreal, for the most part, is a mediocre dev studio. >_>

It used to not be Medicore :(

~Abraham Lincoln

I dont understand if they didint have enough money why are they doing these crazy PR stuTh

They need this game to sell well, and save them; they are just throwing money out at the hope of it being a solid investment to sell watch dogs.

~Abraham Lincoln

I dont understand if they didint have enough money why are they doing these crazy PR stunts?

Because ironically enough, programmers and developers are second class citizens compared to stupid PR monkeys and other suits.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I still don't understand the hype over this game... it's just plain marketing.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Do you understand how stocks even work?  Companies don't run out of money on the basis that their stocks fall in value.  All that means is that their market capitalisation (value) has decreased.  That's it.

WD is poor on the PC because that's just how the general trend is nowadays.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Because ironically enough, programmers and developers are second class citizens compared to stupid PR monkeys and other suits.

No; they just have a different job that requires different kind of work.

I could say McDonalds burger flippers are treated as second class citizens to the manager, but in reality they worked harder to get there extra benefits, and pay.

That kind of quality is not natural, or a reality.

~Abraham Lincoln

Do you understand how stocks even work?  Companies don't run out of money on the basis that their stocks fall in value.  All that means is that their market capitalisation (value) has decreased.  That's it.

Their credit rating is adversely affected. Using their own money directly cuts into their assets. The fact that their stock drops is not a disease but a symptom of other financial problems that cause investors to lose confidence.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It means no one is putting money into there stocks anymore

That = less money. 

Why do you think people open stocks? They need investment money.

~Abraham Lincoln

No; they just have a different job that requires different kind of work.

I could say McDonalds burger flippers are treated as second class citizens to the manager, but in reality they worked harder to get there extra benefits, and pay.

That kind of quality is not natural, or a reality.

A fast food restaurant entry level employee requires quite a bit less training than a manager (sometimes though but this is mostly true). A game programmer requires actually a fuckton more training and specialized knowledge and skills sets than a manager. Your analogy falls right then and there.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Their credit rating is adversely affected. Using their own money directly cuts into their assets. The fact that their stock drops is not a disease but a symptom of other financial problems that cause investors to lose confidence.

Their credit rating would still be above the junk level, and I'm pretty sure it was, so they would still be able to borrow.  And cutting into their assets would imply that they need to sell them, which would have been headline news in the tech world.  The drop just signifies how important WD (and other games that were delayed (?)) was to investors, and it wouldn't have meant that they ran out of money, as the post suggests.

It means no one is putting money into there stocks anymore

That = less money. 

Why do you think people open stocks? They need investment money.

Seriously?  You really don't know how stocks work.  As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Ubisoft didn't issue any substantial amount of stocks during or after they fell.  That means that the price changes only affected the secondary market, in which Ubisoft has no selling role.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Even if things are lacking I still very much enjoyed the game and in fact I am still enjoying the game. I haven't stopped playing it since I got it (except when taking breaks and sleeping). Thinking of going back on it now actually...

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15