AMD R9 290 VS GTX 780 (Non reference)

Good Evening Peeps Or good morning depending on where you are from. 

I am having quite a dilemma with which video card to buy, since the Amd cards are no longer inflated due to miners. The R9 290 has similar performance compared to a 780 for around 50-100$ cheaper, temps wont be a issue (unless it"s a oven) since I will be watercooling the system anyway. Just want some more info and advice on the features and performance each card/side has to offer. Any info would be great!!!!! 

Many thanks 

-Chris-

Just enjoying some popcorn while waiting for them Peeps to comment :P

post-80492-0-79183200-1401117145.gif

post-80492-0-79183200-1401117145.gif

vRAM doesn't matter unless you're pushing 4K+ at this point in time

923qy.jpg Image courtesy of @digitalnav

Depending on how long he will keep the card, it will. For example, watch dogs requires 3GB of RAM to render all textures correctly.

In the future, games can only start using more vRAM.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Even if you make a poll you might eventually see the trend where oyu find more nvidia fanboys saying go green team. Highly expected though since nvidia has more market share so that means more potential fanboys. They both look similar on charts but i chose the 780 not because am a fan boy of any sort but because of just 2 factors.

1:  Temperatures - both might have similar td but the 290's are still suppose to push out more "heat" even with aftermarket cooling although some after market coolers might be even better temps than the 780's.

2:  EVGA - having had a card die the other day kinda makes me start looking at customer support and warranty more critically and evga seems to have a lot of people praising there customer service and warranty.

Go with the one you prefer for whatever reason and you will probably be happy either way both seem like amazing cards.

Loves PC Games :D

I am having quite a dilemma with which video card to buy, since the Amd cards are no longer inflated due to miners. The R9 290 has similar performance compared to a 780 for around 50-100$ cheaper, temps wont be a issue (unless it"s a oven) since I will be watercooling the system anyway. Just want some more info and advice on the features and performance each card/side has to offer. Any info would be great!!!!! 

Many thanks 

-Chris-

Something tells me that you already know the answer and are just giving the AMD / NVIDIA fanboys another arena to fight to the death.

lol troll.   :lol:  :P

Loves PC Games :D

vRAM doesn't matter unless you're pushing 4K+ at this point in time

923qy.jpg Image courtesy of @digitalnav

my skyrim ( with modes) doesnt think the same, it makes a diference in anything that goes beyond 1080p

the 2 cards are great, i have a r9 290 from msi and i love it my cousin has a 780 also from msi and its awesome too, the diference its in the software that came with the cards  ( amd mantle and true audio, nvidia with shadowplay and etc), and price mine cost -150 euros in Portugal nvidia is way overpriced over amd

This isn't going to end well.

THE CLASH OF THE FORCES

I may or may not have started a war xD (not my original intentions)

How about overclocking abilities? since the r9 290 pushes more heat does it affect how far the clock can be pushed? ( keep in mind that i will be watercooling the gpu

Many thanks 

-Chris-

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/19/asus_radeon_r9_290_directcu_ii_oc_video_card_review/1

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290_directcuii_oc_review,1.html

The 780 is getting beaten in almost everything and mostly has also even fps.

If you overclock it a little bit the r9 290 you can reach 780 ti speeds.

r9 290 has Mantle, True audio, Freesync, superior OpenCL performance for programs that take advantage of it. Phys X via CPU.

780 has Shadow play Phys X G-Sync which require an expensive monitor because or proprietary hardware.

I like them both but i like the R9 290 the most since i play a lot of Battlefield 4  which takes adavantage of the Mantle API.

I got mine oced from 1000 Core to 1200 Core and Memory from 1260 to 1400. Benched it and its even faster than my 780 ti on stock.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

THE CLASH OF THE FORCES

How about overclocking abilities? since the r9 290 pushes more heat does it affect how far the clock can be pushed? ( keep in mind that i will be watercooling the gpu

with watercooling? no. You'll be limited only by the chip itself. My R9 290 does 1110 MHz on stock voltage and will go up to 1200 MHz with +100mV. Your results may vary, but so far the overclocking experience has been quite positive for me.

with watercooling? no. You'll be limited only by the chip itself. My R9 290 does 1110 MHz on stock voltage and will go up to 1200 MHz with +100mV. Your results may vary, but so far the overclocking experience has been quite positive for me.

What card do you recommend then? I heard good things about msi gaming r9 290 and gigabyte but not so much from asus

Oh no  .. why why why starting a 290 vs 780 post why

I can feel them keyboards rumbling .. stupid fanboy arguments are coming .. the endless Nvidia vs AMD war is on again .. ABANDON THREAD

Abandon+Thread+.+Just+an+abandon+thread+

THE CLASH OF THE FORCES

CPU: i7 4770k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Mobo: Gigabyte z87 ud3h Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng. 1866MHz  GPU: EVGA SC 780 PSU: Corsair ax850 Case: Define R4 BlackOut Edition SSD: Samsung 840 EVO HDD: Two WD Black 7200RPM 1TB

I hate greedy Nvidia and I hate ATI/AMD's drivers even more. There is no win situation here...;)

What card do you recommend then? I heard good things about msi gaming r9 290 and gigabyte but not so much from asus

I have the XFX card and it's great (as long as you have a waterblock on it), but I can't really speak for the others, I'm not even sure if the standard waterblock will fit the MSI and Gigabyte cards.

THE CLASH OF THE FORCES

I look at it since the 290 is $100 cheaper, that's already paid for the water block.

If you're water cooling, is there any need for a non reference card? Unless they are the same price or you specifically want a higher binned chip, the performance should be pretty much the same under water where thermals are not the issue.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

Team red

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

I hate greedy Nvidia and I hate ATI/AMD's drivers even more. There is no win situation here... ;)

Intel hd 3000 for life yeah!

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Just saw the evga sc acx 6gb 780 for $570 which is awesome might get that