240Hz Owners Speak Up!

Hi all, I am looking to upgrade to a 240Hz monitor from a 144Hz (also upgrading from 1080p to 1440p), is there a clear difference? After watching plenty of youtube videos the results are kind of a mixed bag. 

For people have upgraded from 144 to 240, did you notice it?

Apprentice Software Developer

I barely notice the difference.

However, 1080p to 1440p is a MASSIVE difference in general PC usage. Using 1080p is just pain.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Just now, saintlouisbagels said:

I barely notice the difference.

However, 1080p to 1440p is a MASSIVE difference in general PC usage. Using 1080p is just pain.

Everyone has said that to me, and I can't see why.

1080p looks perfectly fine to me, although I imagine once I see the clarity difference I won't want to go back?

1440p is 77% more pixels than 1080p.

You're going to be shocked at how much screen you were not seeing this whole time.

I use a 4K screen and it's not that big of a "experience" difference from 1440p. Just lots of wasted white space.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

4 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

I imagine once I see the clarity difference I won't want to go back?

Yes you won't go back to 1080p, I just recently changed monitor from 1080p to 1440p last Sunday and man 1080p looks like ass to me now HAHAHA

2 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

1440p is 77% more pixels than 1080p.

That sounds fake but its true, wow

Only reason I am going for the 240Hz as well is because "why not", might as well get a good solid monitor now rather than having to upgrade AGAIN later

Just now, 3llyas said:

Yes you won't go back to 1080p, I just recently changed monitor from 1080p to 1440p last Sunday and man 1080p looks like ass to me now HAHAHA

I'm prepared to be spoiled

That sounds fake but its true, wow

Only reason I am going for the 240Hz as well is because "why not", might as well get a good solid monitor now rather than having to upgrade AGAIN later

There's such a thing as diminishing returns.

Just because technology gets better on paper, it doesn't mean our human perception sees it.

Like, going from 100ms to 10ms latency is huge. Going from 10ms to 1ms is almost imperceptible. From 1ms to 0.1ms is lolwhat.

60Hz to 75/90Hz is huge. 90Hz to 120/144Hz is huge. 240Hz? Nah, I see almost no difference.

8K resolution is such a joke when 4K is barely utilized to its full potential.

Just now, saintlouisbagels said:

There's such a thing as diminishing returns.

Just because technology gets better on paper, it doesn't mean our human perception sees it.

Like, going from 100ms to 10ms latency is huge. Going from 10ms to 1ms is almost imperceptible. From 1ms to 0.1ms is lolwhat.

60Hz to 75/90Hz is huge. 90Hz to 120/144Hz is huge. 240Hz? Nah, I see almost no difference.

I'll pop to the computer shop after work to see one for myself, if I can't tell then probably no point going 240.

Although, I do play a lot of competitive FPS games, if I want every advantage possible 240 is the way to go I guess

2 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

I'll pop to the computer shop after work to see one for myself, if I can't tell then probably no point going 240.

Although, I do play a lot of competitive FPS games, if I want every advantage possible 240 is the way to go I guess

Playing competitive FPS games and actually being competitive are 2 different things.

Unless you have aspirations to be in an esports teams or be a highly skilled Twitch streamer, there is no reason to think that you need tools that makes you a better gamer. Pro gamers can use junk equipment and still eliminate noobs. Noobs can use pro equipment and still be noobs.

15 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

170Hz is an even smaller jump but its still an increase, but i say this just because there are a ton of great 1440p 170Hz monitors, gigabytes M27Q, Lenovo has a very similar one and LG too, but i cant for the life of me remember their names

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

12 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Playing competitive FPS games and actually being competitive are 2 different things.

Unless you have aspirations to be in an esports teams or be a highly skilled Twitch streamer, there is no reason to think that you need tools that makes you a better gamer. Pro gamers can use junk equipment and still eliminate noobs. Noobs can use pro equipment and still be noobs.

I would like to climb the ranks, no idea if I'll get pro anytime soon

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

170Hz is an even smaller jump but its still an increase, but i say this just because there are a ton of great 1440p 170Hz monitors, gigabytes M27Q, Lenovo has a very similar one and LG too, but i cant for the life of me remember the name

Another reason I'm going 240 is because there is a monitor I'm eyeing up on sale, and its cheaper than some 144hz 1440p, kinda a no brainer

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Another reason I'm going 240 is because there is a monitor I'm eyeing up on sale, and its cheaper than some 144hz 1440p, kinda a no brainer

Ah, which monitor?

System specs:

Seems pretty good for the price, some complaints of a hit or miss HDR and some screen flickering/dimming the latter of which seems to be able to be fixed with a driver update though, but hard to beat for £250 ngl

System specs:

You probably won't notice much of a difference when you upgrade. With these things, you usually notice the difference after you get used to it and then downgrade again.

I went from 144Hz to 240Hz and it wasn't that big of a difference. Then again, I don't play competitive games anymore. After trying the 240Hz monitor for a few days, I changed my mind and went with a 120Hz OLED, and for my personal use, the slower refresh rate doesn't make much of a difference. However, the better picture quality and HDR definitely do make a difference.

In the end, the types of games you play are the most important factor in how much you can get out of higher refresh rates. Can you reliably hit >200 FPS in the games you play? If yes, then it can make a lot of sense.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

44 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Seems pretty good for the price, some complaints of a hit or miss HDR and some screen flickering/dimming the latter of which seems to be able to be fixed with a driver update though, but hard to beat for £250 ngl

Yeah I'm not bothered about HDR, I can't tell too much of a difference on the family LG TV, and I play in a dark room anyway.

Yeah its bloody good value, that's why I'm tempted. Currently have a 4070 Super, kinda wasted on 1080 144

20 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

In the end, the types of games you play are the most important factor in how much you can get out of higher refresh rates. Can you reliably hit >200 FPS in the games you play? If yes, then it can make a lot of sense.

Yeah, I play a lot of FPS games like CS and Doom, easy to run.

I play the occasional taxing game like Cyberpunk, but G-Sync should help me with not hitting 240 at 1440p

9 minutes ago, Likwid said:

Based on reviews from https://www.youtube.com/@monitorsunboxed

Most 240+ Hz monitors fail to hit response times necessary to be real 240Hz monitors so actually most chep ones could be running 160-180Hz and thats not a big gain compared to good 144hz

One review I saw measured the response time at 3-4 ms, which is lower than what 240Hz needs to be, so I'm not worried there

48 minutes ago, Likwid said:

Most 240+ Hz monitors fail to hit response times necessary to be real 240Hz monitors so actually most chep ones could be running 160-180Hz and thats not a big gain compared to good 144hz

If the response times are a tad too slow, you won't get better motion clarity. You still get the lower input lag coming from a higher refresh rate though.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Going from 144 to 240/280 was huge for me the difference is instantly noticeable but going from 280 to 360 was not big at all.

Currently sitting on 1440p 300hz and it seams fine for 30+yo me atm. 

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

2 minutes ago, KnoT said:

Going from 144 to 240/280 was huge for me the difference is instantly noticeable but going from 280 to 360 was not big at all.

Currently sitting on 1440p 300hz and it seams fine for 30+yo me atm. 

See this is what I mean lmao, some people say its hard to tell, whereas others say it's game changing

I guess I'll just have to give one a go in a shop?

9 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

See this is what I mean lmao, some people say its hard to tell, whereas others say it's game changing

I guess I'll just have to give one a go in a shop?

It's different for every person. As strange as it sounds there are people who can't even tell the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz.

But there are basically 3 aspects that change with the refresh rate, all of which have been tested by YouTubers and reviewers:

Blind tests done by JayzTwoCents showed they could all reliably tell the difference between 60 and 120, but between 120 and 240 they were just guessing. They were basically only looking at motion smoothness though.

In terms of input lag, LTT measured a very noticeable upgrade in player performance from 60 to 144, but not a big upgrade to 240. So to get a big advantage out of 240 Hz you will need the skill to back it up. The monitor won't magically make you better. More casual players like Pauls Hardware couldn't get much out of 240Hz, but Shroud certainly could.

In terms of motion clarity, the monitor in question needs the response times to back the refresh rate up. For example an OLED using 240Hz is roughly comparable to slower LCDs that run 360Hz. A 360Hz OLED is roughly comparable to slower LCDs running 540Hz and so on.