240Hz Owners Speak Up!

TL;DR: Test it for yourself. But try to stay unbiased. If you have any chance of doing blind tests, like letting someone else change the refresh rate, then trying it out to see if you can tell. Or do one of these aim training maps at different refresh rates in CS2 to see if you can actually score higher. There are plenty of tests you can run to see if you get something out of 240hz before the return window closes.

Maybe you will also just turn the monitor on, immediately tell the difference and just be happy with it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

As strange as it sounds there are people who can't even tell the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz.

Bonkers

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

More casual players like Pauls Hardware couldn't get much out of 240Hz, but Shroud certainly could.

I feel like I could get a noticeable difference, how big that difference is I will have to see

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

In terms of motion clarity, the monitor in question needs the response times to back the refresh rate up. For example an OLED using 240Hz is roughly comparable to slower LCDs that run 360Hz. A 360Hz OLED is roughly comparable to slower LCDs running 540Hz and so on.

The reviews that I have seen said the response time is perfectly okay for a monitor like this, there was no ghosting or anything

Apprentice Software Developer

Just now, Stahlmann said:

TL;DR: Test it for yourself. But try to stay unbiased. If you have any chance of doing blind tests, like letting someone else change the refresh rate, then trying it out to see if you can tell. Or do one of these aim training maps at different refresh rates in CS2 to see if you can actually score higher. There are plenty of tests you can run to see if you get something out of 240hz before the return window closes.

Might ask the staff to help if it's not too busy, can't interfere with everyone else

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Maybe you will also just turn the monitor on, immediately tell the difference and just be happy with it.

That would be too easy, I know this is gonna be a hard decision lmao

3 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

90Hz to 120/144Hz is huge. 240Hz? Nah, I see almost no difference.

I'd call that a skill issue tbh,

3 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Playing competitive FPS games and actually being competitive are 2 different things.

Unless you have aspirations to be in an esports teams or be a highly skilled Twitch streamer, there is no reason to think that you need tools that makes you a better gamer. Pro gamers can use junk equipment and still eliminate noobs. Noobs can use pro equipment and still be noobs.

l2g95clivon51.webp.05bd35fa932fb8e9b50f9b3cd55b5345.webp

@Hinjima this guy has a monitor, but he ain't online rn

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

3 minutes ago, podkall said:

@Hinjima this guy has a monitor, but he ain't online rn

We wait patiently for Jeremy Clarkson to advise

12 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

yes I love this guy's pfp

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Just now, podkall said:

yes I love this guy's pfp

Maybe it's actually Jeremy?

43 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Can you give me a TDLR I can answer? I am not reading this entire thing 😄

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Can you give me a TDLR I can answer? I am not reading this entire thing 😄

Haha of course

Basically I have found a good budget monitor on amazon, 1440p 240hz (good reviews, all tests passed), and wondered if there is much difference between 144hz and 240hz? Or would I be better off getting a more "premium" 1440p 144hz?

8 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Haha of course

Basically I have found a good budget monitor on amazon, 1440p 240hz (good reviews, all tests passed), and wondered if there is much difference between 144hz and 240hz? Or would I be better off getting a more "premium" 1440p 144hz?

I did notice a little difference between 240hz and 144hz when I got my monitor! It definitely felt smoother on the desktop and in games but the jump is no where near 60hz to 144hz.  I would be fine with a 144hz monitor, I would not have any issues going back.

I would invest in a premium 1440p 144hz/ 165hz monitor over a cheap 240hz monitor any day. 

I see you use an Nvidia GPU so getting a premium monitor with Gsync would be incredible to keep it smooth if you drop a few frames.

I of course have Gsync on my 240hz monitor and it helps a lot but they are quite expensive.

I really like my LG UltraGear 27GP850 144hz monitor.  My 240hz monitor is the 32'' LG Ultragear 32GQ850-B

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I did notice a little difference between 240hz and 144hz when I got my monitor! It definitely felt smoother on the desktop and in games but the jump is no where near 60hz to 144hz.  I would be fine with a 144hz monitor, I would not have any issues going back.

I would invest in a premium 1440p 144hz/ 165hz monitor over a cheap 240hz monitor any day. 

I see you use an Nvidia GPU so getting a premium monitor with Gsync would be incredible to keep it smooth if you drop a few frames.

I of course have Gsync on my 240hz monitor and it helps a lot but they are quite expensive.

I really like my LG UltraGear 27GP850 144hz monitor.  My 240hz monitor is the 32'' LG Ultragear 32GQ850-B

The one I am looking at works with G-Sync, would you still say to get a premium 144 instead?

There is clear difference in res and Hz yes. What you care for more is up to you. Upgrade is always nice. 4K is also an upgrade and to me min ppi to mitigate screendoor effect or jagged text and detail. 240Hz min for solid smoothness, I do play competitive. 

Those are cheap now too so yeah. Also PC outputing high fps in such games, why also not freaking see it right.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

There is clear difference in res and Hz yes. What you care for more is up to you. Upgrade is always nice. 4K is also an upgrade and to me min ppi to mitigate screendoor effect or jagged text and detail. 240Hz min for solid smoothness, I do play competitive. 

Those are cheap now too so yeah. Also PC outputing high fps in such games, why also not freaking see it right.

So if you changed your refresh rate to 144, could you tell the difference? And vice versa.

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

So if you changed your refresh rate to 144, could you tell the difference? And vice versa.

I definitely do. Even with 240Hz+ there is a difference. Sure it may not be needed for most yeah, but the difference can be shown and seen on desktop even with mouse and dragging window. For fast moving fps games for sure, we're running them fast for these new monitors. 

We're only now reaching clarity we lost from fast CRT days.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

I definitely do. Even with 240Hz+ there is a difference. Sure it may not be needed for most yeah, but the difference can be shown and seen on desktop even with mouse and dragging window. For fast moving fps games for sure, we're running them fast for these new monitors. 

We're only now reaching clarity we lost from fast CRT days.

I see, that's interesting. I hope its a clear difference for me, will make shopping for a new monitor easier.

Just now, Blasty Blosty said:

I see, that's interesting. I hope its a clear difference for me, will make shopping for a new monitor easier.

Yeah 240Hz is becoming more of a standard lately with OLED monitors for example. Just check reviews too and not buy cheapest in it's category. Monitors unboxed as example for reviews.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:43 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah 240Hz is becoming more of a standard lately with OLED monitors for example. Just check reviews too and not buy cheapest in it's category. Monitors unboxed as example for reviews.

I've seen 2 reviews, both said for the price it's basically unbeatable

The response time is good, the colour accuracy is good, hard to complain

On 5/10/2024 at 1:43 PM, Doobeedoo said:

I bought the monitor, the resolution increase is fantastic, games like cyberpunk and dead space really popped in 1440p. The refresh rate wasn't as big of a jump as I knew it would be, but it is definitely there and I can feel the difference/

On 5/10/2024 at 7:40 AM, saintlouisbagels said:

I barely notice the difference.

However, 1080p to 1440p is a MASSIVE difference in general PC usage. Using 1080p is just pain.

I definitely felt this, especially at 27". My 1080 looks horrendous now compared to 1440. All the text on 1440 is so sharp and crisp I love it

5 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

I bought the monitor, the resolution increase is fantastic, games like cyberpunk and dead space really popped in 1440p. The refresh rate wasn't as big of a jump as I knew it would be, but it is definitely there and I can feel the difference/

Nice. For sure, text and detail is not jagged as much. I mean yeah the higher refresh rate will for sure be more noticable in like faster online games like shooters with high framerate. 

12 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Nice. For sure, text and detail is not jagged as much. I mean yeah the higher refresh rate will for sure be more noticable in like faster online games like shooters with high framerate. 

Yeah, I seemed a bit better with the AWP in CS2, felt much more fluid.

I was laughing at how small my desktop icons were at first without the scaling too lmao

48 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Yeah, I seemed a bit better with the AWP in CS2, felt much more fluid.

I was laughing at how small my desktop icons were at first without the scaling too lmao

Whenever I see someone working on a 1080p monitor I’m envious that they’re able to work with such a tiny screen real estate. My job requires having 3 documents open and I HATE using multiple monitors, so I love high-density displays.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Just now, saintlouisbagels said:

Whenever I see someone working on a 1080p monitor I’m envious that they’re able to work with such a tiny screen real estate. My job requires having 3 documents open and I HATE using multiple monitors, so I love high-density displays.

With the 24" we have at work, it's perfectly fine, but with the 27" I had it wasn't hard to see the pixels

So I don't really notice the sharpness at work, the pixel density is high enough for the size.

But I do love my 77% more pixels

144hz to 240hz is very noticeable. Like a difference between flavoured milk vs a milkshake, both are good but omg the milkshake, mmmm so good and tasty...! I go into a matrix mode when playing Mordhau and when I had to play on 144hz for a while I felt like a blind cripple. Same with shooters. 240hz I've got all the time in the world to aim at the enemy (my shit aim has a negative effect to accuracy) so it's a solid recommendation from me.

Of course there's more to 240hz like motion clarity, pixel response and so on but if all are as good as they get, I can't really go back to 144hz. Only problem is that not that many games actually can be played at 240hz, only eSport ones or really well optimised new games. For example, many games themselves have engine caps of 144fps like Titanfall 2 and because of that Apex Legends has a falloff in fps stability past 144. GTA 5 has to be capped at 181 to avoid insane stutter cause the engine's shitting bricks.

Had normies and grandparents try and see the difference and most can't, some even say the 60fps is the same as 120 or 240. Only time they sort of agree is the UFO test. 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker