Wi-Fi option is literally... gone?

Go to solution Solved by Azade12,

UPDATE:

I booted my PC up and the wifi is back.

I decided to use my phone as a wired connection through a hotspot and usb-c

I'm not sure if that was it, but the Wi-Fi options came back when I booted up the PC today and then networks began discoverable once I enabled the wired hotspot.

I appreciate you all for your help. I would roll back to Windows 7, but Microsoft stopped supporting it years ago.

Hey everyone, hope everyone is having a happy May.

I booted my PC this evening only to realize the entire wifi panel is gone. The pop up, the control panel and even in network devices. It literally just disappeared. 

I pinged 172.1.1.1 with administrator and the test came back OK, so I know it isn't a hardware error.

I have updated drivers, re-enabled services: nothing.

What seems to have happened is my literal network card, in the software, is just... literally gone? Windows failed a rollback and now the restore point is useless. BIOS confirmed the network card was enabled. Disabling and re-enabling it has not yielded any results.

I upgraded my tower to 32G ram and 3TB Nvm.e about a week and a half ago. Things worked very well up until today.

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

5 minutes ago, Azade12 said:

Hey everyone, hope everyone is having a happy May.

I booted my PC this evening only to realize the entire wifi panel is gone. The pop up, the control panel and even in network devices. It literally just disappeared. 

I pinged 172.1.1.1 with administrator and the test came back OK, so I know it isn't a hardware error.

I have updated drivers, re-enabled services: nothing.

What seems to have happened is my literal network card, in the software, is just... literally gone? Windows failed a rollback and now the restore point is useless. BIOS confirmed the network card was enabled. Disabling and re-enabling it has not yielded any results.

I upgraded my tower to 32G ram and 3TB Nvm.e about a week and a half ago. Things worked very well up until today.

try just removing it and re seating it, sounds dumb but fixes the problem more times than not

Just now, BentleyOwen123 said:

try just removing it and re seating it, sounds dumb but fixes the problem more times than not

My Wi-FI is not a separate card, it is built into my motherboard

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

oh what the hell? it just disappeared??? does your bluetooth still work?

4 minutes ago, Azade12 said:

My Wi-FI is not a separate card, it is built into my motherboard

Reinstall the driver for the corresponding wifi card. If you can't do that then you can try uninstalling the wifi driver through device manager and in the next reboot windows should put the driver back and hopefully it works, though the former option is better. 

4 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

oh what the hell? it just disappeared??? does your bluetooth still work?

It all... just... left...?

image.png

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

4 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

and have you tried reinstalling windows?

No, I have not. This computer worked fine two days ago, but I've been trying for the last 45 minutes to figure out what is going on

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

2 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

Reinstall the driver for the corresponding wifi card. If you can't do that then you can try uninstalling the wifi driver through device manager and in the next reboot windows should put the driver back and hopefully it works, though the former option is better. 

The wifi card is GONE 😭, like I can't even re-install the driver. It no longer exists on the PC? I could send a screenshot of my device manager, the wifi adapter is just a far of dream, or some imagination. It does not exist anymore

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

use a wifi cable now.

check in your uefi and see if it was disabled. windows now automatically updates the motherboard firmware so maybe a firmware update disabled it on accident or something.
check your version number and compare it with the manufacturer website and see if it was released/installed recently. you may have to roll back to a previous version if this is the case and it isnt simply disabled

3 hours ago, Azade12 said:

The wifi card is GONE 😭

Firstly, have you tried a fresh install of Windows?

Secondly, try booting a linux distro like Ubuntu. You can install it within Windows like any other application OR you can create a live bootable USB stick and try it that way. Either way, if Linux can't find the card then its proper borked!

Is your BIOS up to date?

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

Can you share the screenshot of your Device manager?
If it shows the Wi-Fi device but with warning sign, that could means that there are some driver issue

I have a similar problem before (only for Wi-Fi, Ethernet and Bluetooth works fine), the Wi-Fi and hotspot option would gray out when I click on the bottom right and it turns out to be the Wi-Fi that comes from the motherboard is problematic

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Can I get a serious moment for one sec

Can you do specifically a restart? NOT A SHUTDOWN. I really, REALLY mean it.

I oversee a lot of Windows 11 machines, and this REPEATEDLY comes up: a restart fixes this exact issue.

I also beg of you not to say you already have done, like 90% of my users do when I ask them to specifically restart, not shut down.

If this fails to make a difference, can we see a screenshot of device manager with network section expanded?

restart, enter bios, disable wifi module in bios, restart, load into windows, restart, enter bios, enable wifi module in bios, restart, load into bios.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:35 AM, manikyath said:

restart, enter bios, disable wifi module in bios, restart, load into windows, restart, enter bios, enable wifi module in bios, restart, load into bios.

I already said I did that, it did not work

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

On 5/10/2024 at 1:30 AM, whispous said:

Can I get a serious moment for one sec

Can you do specifically a restart? NOT A SHUTDOWN. I really, REALLY mean it.

I oversee a lot of Windows 11 machines, and this REPEATEDLY comes up: a restart fixes this exact issue.

I also beg of you not to say you already have done, like 90% of my users do when I ask them to specifically restart, not shut down.

If this fails to make a difference, can we see a screenshot of device manager with network section expanded?

I have done both already, it does not work. This is a Windows 10 machine.

I'll send a ss soon

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

To help rule out a stupid Windows problem can you boot up a USB stick with whatever recent Linux OS you'd like to try out. If it also can't find the wifi hardware either automatically or by running a command 'ls pci' to list all PCI/PCIe devices then it's probably dead hardware on the board. Usually that'd show up as an error'd device on device manager but not always.

Assuming you have a dead wifi chip then you can get a solid usb wifi antenna from amazon under 20 bucks. 

UPDATE:

I booted my PC up and the wifi is back.

I decided to use my phone as a wired connection through a hotspot and usb-c

I'm not sure if that was it, but the Wi-Fi options came back when I booted up the PC today and then networks began discoverable once I enabled the wired hotspot.

I appreciate you all for your help. I would roll back to Windows 7, but Microsoft stopped supporting it years ago.

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD