Coil Whine question

em_lab
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
1 hour ago, em_lab said:

well i already had a 2016 build with this PSU. Last year i upgrade the PC ,new case + mobo+cpu +gpu 3090 but i kept the PSU and i was forced to use others cables that came from a RM550 much older and another RM850 newer due to that i dont think that i was not neccesay to buy a new PSU

If your GPU is having coilwhine then there isn't anything you can do about it.  Coilwhine is not dangerous or harmful in any way and does not affect the lifespan of the product.  Coilwhine is safe but it is annoying.

Hi i recently discover a Coil Whine effect in my PC, i didn't knew such thing exist

It happend when i start unreal engine in my PC then i heard a zzz zzzz zzzzz sound

that came from somewhere between the CPU zone and the PSU, i can not tell exactly

then i discover that when Unreal is actifs the power consumption of the GPU goes up to +350W

My PSU is a Corsair RM850x plus gold, so a 850w PSU  (8 years old)

My GPU is a MSI Suprim X rtx3090

When i mounted this build i used PSU cables form others PSU i had

I would like to ask you if this is bad or not, or if i must change my PSU or the cables

thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, em_lab said:

I would like to ask you if this is bad or not, or if i must change my PSU or the cables

If you can live with the noise, you don't have to do anything.

Coil whine is caused by resonating inductors that produce an audible noise, as far as I know it's not harmful.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG w. PWM

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

9 minutes ago, em_lab said:

Hi i recently discover a Coil Whine effect in my PC, i didn't knew such thing exist

It happend when i start unreal engine in my PC then i heard a zzz zzzz zzzzz sound

that came from somewhere between the CPU zone and the PSU, i can not tell exactly

then i discover that when Unreal is actifs the power consumption of the GPU goes up to +350W

My PSU is a Corsair RM850x plus gold, so a 850w PSU  (8 years old)

My GPU is a MSI Suprim X rtx3090

When i mounted this build i used PSU cables form others PSU i had

thanks in advance

What was your previous PSU?  Using old PSU cables with a new PSU is absolutely not recommended.

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

What was your previous PSU?  Using old PSU cables with a new PSU is absolutely not recommended.

well i already had a 2016 build with this PSU. Last year i upgrade the PC ,new case + mobo+cpu +gpu 3090 but i kept the PSU and i was forced to use others cables that came from a RM550 much older and another RM850 newer due to that i dont think that i was not neccesay to buy a new PSU

The cause of the coil whine may not be the power supply at all, but may be the graphics card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, em_lab said:

If your GPU is having coilwhine then there isn't anything you can do about it.  Coilwhine is not dangerous or harmful in any way and does not affect the lifespan of the product.  Coilwhine is safe but it is annoying.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The cause of the coil whine may not be the power supply at all, but may be the graphics card.

the sound does not come from the gpu but somewhere between the cpu and the psu (i got a fractal torrent case so the PSU is mounted at the top of the case) 

29 minutes ago, em_lab said:

the sound does not come from the gpu but somewhere between the cpu and the psu (i got a fractal torrent case so the PSU is mounted at the top of the case) 

PSU's can also have slight coilwhine.  My own RM750i has coilwhine as well.

Do you use an AIO that could maybe cause this sound?

Posted (edited)

psu and gpus can have coile wine and i think mb can also have it but mostly gpus and psus.

for gpus it gets more loud based on fps more fps the more loud it is. so limting fps can help but suxs to do it. in menus were you get get realy hi fps is were you mostly notic it. cant really fix it other then sell the gpu... you can get a more closed off case but that make it hotter so i dont no.

for psu is cheaper then a gpu in most case and can be replaced and since you got a mish mach psu ied recommend that. but first fined out witch it is.

other thing would be headphones i guess.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links