Custom reservoir

If I get a length of PVC, install barbed nipples (I think that's what they're called) with silicone, cap the ends of the PVC, one with a glued on cap, the other with a removable cap and rubber gasket, would that work well as a reservoir?

Just a bit of planning for the future. 🙂

Other than PVC, what else would work? Acrylic tube? A mason jar? Aquarium? Plastic container?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Sure, people have done it before. Any of those will work, just make sure you leak test before you get near any parts and go distilled for end fill. I mean leak test for at least 24 hours too, not a hour. Youll find any leaks way into the hours when you flex the water temps, cold at first, then some warm, then cold again and see what it does.

3 minutes ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

Sure, people have done it before. Any of those will work, just make sure you leak test before you get near any parts and go distilled for end fill. I mean leak test for at least 24 hours too, not a hour. Youll find any leaks way into the hours when you flex the water temps, cold at first, then some warm, then cold again and see what it does.

I know. Thanks! Any other suggestions for the res?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

You can just plumb fittings into pvc and only have to use some plumbers tape on them. No need for silicone.

You can use many things really. As long as it seal and doesnt pollute a loop its fine

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can just plumb fittings into pvc and only have to use some plumbers tape on them. No need for silicone.

You can use many things really. As long as it seal and doesnt pollute a loop its fine

That's what I figured, but I wanted to ask the experts here! I might stay away from plumbers tape because I'm afraid of a pressure leak. I've used it before on plumbing and sometimes it can be vexing. I bought a handheld shower addition and the damned thing leaked prodigiously no matter what I tried. I've previously used the tape on similar devices but was always eventually able to stop the leak. Still, a "permanent" silicone seal is easier to do. 🙂

I also learned about heat-fitting PVC.

you could stick hoses into a plastic bottle and it'd serve as a reservoir.

it depends on how janky you are willing to go, how worried you are about seams leaking, and how much you value your own time.

why... res are like $10...

ive seen it dose but makes no sense.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you could stick hoses into a plastic bottle and it'd serve as a reservoir.

it depends on how janky you are willing to go, how worried you are about seams leaking, and how much you value your own time.

Well, I'm not interested in sketchy. I'll make sure it can't leak. I doubt I'll ever go pro and make a hardline loop even though I know that'll really help with osmosis.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

why... res are like $10...

ive seen it dose but makes no sense.

Just planning, that's all. If I find a cheap res that's large enough, I'll get that instead. 🙂

17 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Well, I'm not interested in sketchy. I'll make sure it can't leak. I doubt I'll ever go pro and make a hardline loop even though I know that'll really help with osmosis.

Just planning, that's all. If I find a cheap res that's large enough, I'll get that instead. 🙂

how big dose one need it?

$30 400mm

$21 300mm with pump

i could keep looking for cheaper but you get the point...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

@thrasher_565@jaslion@manikyath@AI_Must_Di3

As far as brands for fittings, I was told that Bykski is pretty good and inexpensive. Is that true? What other brands are recommended? I will NOT buy EK.

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

As far as brands for fittings, I was told that Bykski is pretty good and inexpensive. Is that true? What other brands are recommended? I will NOT buy EK.

any brand is fine.

I have no other suggestions, your creativity is the only thing stopping you. You could do the actual setup a bunch of ways, all h20 inside the pc, all h20 outside the pc in a separate box with just the water hookups, soft tubes, hard tubes of varying types, fittings you can use pretty much any of the big names in h20 cooling or even plain old pipe clamps. You can even put a extraction port in the top of the rad and pull the air from the line as you fill it and seal it so its like a commercial aio. Just make sure you leave a small air pocket for heat expansion/pressure. As long as you test your creations first, youll be good. The skys the limit! 👍

4 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Whatever works. I tend to go alphacool as they are the most price and elivery time effective for me

all the cheaper stuff is the same thing just with a name brad on it for the most part.

gone are the days of $2 fittings...

ive used them all bitspower, bisk, alphcool, koolance, ek, as well as $2 fittings.

the premix is the key to keep it clean and probably matnace

for hardline its more complacanted as good ones need a good fit to the tubeing but with hardline parts of the fittings cant be resued so there desposable... only good thing about hardline is you can make w/e bend you want and no fitting cost and hi flow not that really mater these days. back then before hardline people would use strair up fittings.

then you got stuff like this witch is old school

softtube bending pics guide.png

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

all the cheaper stuff is the same thing just with a name brad on it for the most part.

gone are the days of $2 fittings...

ive used them all bitspower, bisk, alphcool, koolance, ek, as well as $2 fittings.

the premix is the key to keep it clean and probably matnace

for hardline its more complacanted as good ones need a good fit to the tubeing but with hardline parts of the fittings cant be resued so there desposable... only good thing about hardline is you can make w/e bend you want and no fitting cost and hi flow not that really mater these days. back then before hardline people would use strair up fittings.

then you got stuff like this witch is old school

softtube bending pics guide.png

Is that an aquarium pump? Very interesting process for bending the pipe! I would imagine with that kind of pipe that doing a bend with just fire, which is what I did with PVC, isn't even remotely possible. I was only doing pipe fitting anyways, not bending them, and that was to run mountain water to my reservoir so it wasn't pressurized, either.

What's the best liquid mix in a loop? If you can state the chemicals and then maybe suggest a brand or two for each chemical, that would be helpful!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Is that an aquarium pump? Very interesting process for bending the pipe! I would imagine with that kind of pipe that doing a bend with just fire, which is what I did with PVC, isn't even remotely possible. I was only doing pipe fitting anyways, not bending them, and that was to run mountain water to my reservoir so it wasn't pressurized, either.

What's the best liquid mix in a loop? If you can state the chemicals and then maybe suggest a brand or two for each chemical, that would be helpful!

well back then liquid speed was the focuses because evry so much would drop the temps like 1c. but then the jet plate was a huge bottle neck and slowed the flow down but cooled better then the hi flow loops. so that became the norm. so flow speed is not really a problem any more. so people did w/e it takes to get the flow faster and reduce the 90 degrees but didn't want to spend moeny on a 45 so they stuck a spring in the tube heat it up bent it then cooled in ice water to get a tighter bend. later on there were thicker tubeing that could bend more but that was later on.

the pump is a aquacomputer pump they were big and loud from what i heard but i belave the flow was good. the uk was the first to put out water cooling stuff then something happened and then it disaperd...🤷‍♂️ then thrmaltake kinda got water cooling in the west.

aquastream ULTIMATE pump

as for whats good mix i dont no.

Edited by thrasher_565

6 hours ago, Phantasmagoria said:

just go with EK. and if you dont want to support EK cuz of what has been exposed, then im assuming you dont use any meta products and services either. on account of the genocide they caused in Myanmar. also i hope you dont have a intel CPU cuz that one time, they let poisonous gases in the air. ohhh yea and the time where amd had to pay like 12 milli in fines cuz they told people the cPu got 8 cores when it only had like 4. google nvidia scandals. come to think of it, you cant eat fruit unless you grew the tree. do you use gasoline? the more i think about it, its best to move off the grid somewhere in africa.

or just stan your ground and go with EK

Wow. You're so right. I'll just kill myself right away, which is probably what you want, troll. 

1 hour ago, Phantasmagoria said:

or you can just go with  ek

Why? Are you've just pointed out, if I'm going to refuse to buy EK, there's virtually nothing in the world that is okay to buy, so offing myself is the best choice.

20 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

ohhh i see what happened. you got triggered by the picture of big mike. i guess you know what is best for you but if i were you i would go with ek

Oh, wait, I thought that's YOU with Obama. XD

EK is a no go.

singlercomputer is probly better then ek for quality same with some of heatkiller stuff thow they make only blocks i think🤔

ek stuff is just over hyped.

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

singlercomputer is probly better then ek for quality same with some of heatkiller stuff thow they make only blocks i think🤔

Never heard of them. Link?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Never heard of them. Link?

sorry Singularity Computers

link keeps crashing my browser...

Edited by thrasher_565

On 5/7/2024 at 5:58 PM, thrasher_565 said:

Just about every other brand is either as good or better than EK, but most people don't get exposure to other brands. 

We'll probably have a rennaisance now that every Youtuber is dropping EK.   Even JayzEKDickriding has "discovered" other brands now.  That brand is Optimus which is still wildly overpcied and overhyped but still....he's making progress...kinda.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Just about every other brand is either as good or better than EK, but most people don't get exposure to other brands. 

We'll probably have a rennaisance now that every Youtuber is dropping EK.   Even JayzEKDickriding has "discovered" other brands now.  That brand is Optimus which is still wildly overpcied and overhyped but still....he's making progress...kinda.

Optimus is the one that clams to make the best blocks... but was vary hard to justified it...

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

Optimus is the one that clams to make the best blocks... but was vary hard to justified it...

You might as well order a custom-made block from Liquid Ecstacy for that price, eh?