I Need Help With My Old Nintendo DS.

Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,
3 minutes ago, DeepFriedWater316 said:

I have already gotten an r4 card with homebrew and twilight installed!  Got my ROMs working flawlessly.  But the battery is acting weird along with the bottom screen.

you cant fix the screen only replace it with a working one. witch meant parts or another one... i no you just want to fix it but probably be cheaper to just get another and sell that one for parts imo

So I'm the kinda guy who loves retro games.  I love old DSs especially.  They're a large part of my childhood.  I recently picked up a used one from a friend as a trade in deal, however there's two issues with it.  The bottom screen seems to be dying with dead pixels all over the place (see the picture to a clearer idea of what I'm talking about), and I'm having battery issues.  The battery light flickers green and red flashingly at random times.  No clue why that's happening.  

Does anyone know where I can get parts for this old thing?  I need a bottom screen with touch screen support, a tutorial on how hard it is, and a good battery suggestion mine seems to be dying.  

By the way this is an original 2004 model NDS not a DSi or DSi Lite.  

Anyone got any suggestions to help me out here or can help me outsource some good replacement parts that'll last me a good few years?  I wanna play Pokémon Black 2 more but this thing started dying way too fast for an original NDS.  

(Also I got some homebrew stuff on it myself which I'm really proud of due to me being an idiot for the most part.  But I just want to make sure I can fix this ds before things get worse.)

Those aren't specs on my screen or dirt.  They're apparently dead pixels.

PXL_20240430_015828431.jpg

For a broader term.  This is the PhatDS, the og big boy DS.  The one that predates the DSi Lite.  

I should also mention that it saw pretty heavy use by my friends siblings, but for the most part has been sitting still in their attic for 10 years or so.  So if anything is really wrong with it, I'd bet my grandma's hip replacement it's the battery that's dying.  Or my r4 card.  It's a coin toss.  

hard to say if there parts for it. there prity cheap so probably just get another one or find another parts one.

the original nds is nice for the gba games. thow i think the gba and sp with mods could be better i would think

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

19 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

hard to say if there parts for it. there prity cheap so probably just get another one or find another parts one.

the original nds is nice for the gba games. thow i think the gba and sp with mods could be better i would think

Oh there are parts on Amazon.  But hell if I know what are good and what's not.  You see.  My brain is smooth.  No wrinkles in sight.  It's monkey see monkey do up here brother.

There's so many of them on Amazon and sites like ali express but I can't find what I actually need or what those wired bottom screen glitches are.  Are they LEDs burned out or is the screen itself chalked?

I don't know!  It sucks!  Man's just wanna play Pokémon again like it's 2011! 

21 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

I have already gotten an r4 card with homebrew and twilight installed!  Got my ROMs working flawlessly.  But the battery is acting weird along with the bottom screen.

you cant fix the screen only replace it with a working one. witch meant parts or another one... i no you just want to fix it but probably be cheaper to just get another and sell that one for parts imo

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

11 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

I might actually pick up a 3ds this year instead.  They have cetfied refurbished ones on gamestop's website for like $150!  For an og and like $180 for an xl.  Which I might get because myopia is awful.  The old ds screen is so tiny.  Even for me.  

16 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

Double checked.  It's $210 for a used refurbished 3DS XL.  Not a "New" Nintendo 3ds XL, the old model.  With an up to 7 hour battery life frome 3 hours!  Not bad eh?  I think that's worth it if I'm gonna homebrew some pokémon games.  Cuz hell if I'm paying $200 for a "legit" copy of Black 2.  

Double checked.  It's $210 for a used refurbished 3DS XL.  Not a "New" Nintendo 3ds XL, the old model.  With an up to 7 hour battery life frome 3 hours!  Not bad eh?  I think that's worth it if I'm gonna homebrew some pokémon games.  Cuz hell if I'm paying $200 for a "legit" copy of Black 2.  

im not in to the handheld i used them before i own some i just like consoles when posable. i no there no ds console so its just emulators. i have an orange dsi but want to get a modded orange dsi xxl some day. (orange was mostly in japan... and i like orange...)

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

im not in to the handheld i used them before i own some i just like consoles when posable. i no there no ds console so its just emulators. i have an orange dsi but want to get a modded orange dsi xxl some day. (orange was mostly in japan... and i like orange...)

Speaking of consoles, you ever seen a commador 64?  I picked one up recently and a CRT to boot.  We going full retro this year baby.

Just now, DeepFriedWater316 said:

Speaking of consoles, you ever seen a commador 64?  I picked one up recently and a CRT to boot.  We going full retro this year baby.

no never had a c64. i had an atari 2700 but only had joysticks and not the padles and just sold it. i need a crt.

thats my setup atm dont have it all set up quie like i wanted it.

systems 002.jpg

systems 003.jpg

systems 005.jpg

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

no never had a c64. i had an atari 2700 but only had joysticks and not the padles and just sold it. i need a crt.

thats my setup atm dont have it all set up quie like i wanted it.

systems 002.jpg

systems 003.jpg

systems 005.jpg

Dude here's my setup.  This thing is sick.  I don't know if it works yet.  But I plan on finding out sometime this year.  You've heard of windows xp, but how about DOS?

BEHOLD!  THE ORGINAL 1987 IBM MODEL 8503-001!

IBM Computer-1.jpg

2 minutes ago, DeepFriedWater316 said:

Dude here's my setup.  This thing is sick.  I don't know if it works yet.  But I plan on finding out sometime this year.  You've heard of windows xp, but how about DOS?

BEHOLD!  THE ORGINAL 1987 IBM MODEL 8503-001!

IBM Computer-1.jpg

ya not much in to dos last game i would call dos would be duke nukem 3d. i once got a apple computer from the school and took it home and well it was not working right and tryed to fix it and well i broke it... 🤷‍♂️ no organ trail for me...

but heres my build logs some 98se build, xp build, console build as well as other stuff.

i did play on my friends 486 man we had fun times on that thing.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya not much in to dos last game i would call dos would be duke nukem 3d. i once got a apple computer from the school and took it home and well it was not working right and tryed to fix it and well i broke it... 🤷‍♂️ no organ trail for me...

but heres my build logs some 98se build, xp build, console build as well as other stuff.

i did play on my friends 486 man we had fun times on that thing.

This was my grandpa's first PC.  From 87.  Old man filed his taxes on floppy disks.  Now it's mine by being passed down from grandma.  I wanna get this fixed so she can see it again someday.  I love old junk like this.  Without it.  We wouldn't have the new stuff you know?

1 minute ago, DeepFriedWater316 said:

This was my grandpa's first PC.  From 87.  Old man filed his taxes on floppy disks.  Now it's mine by being passed down from grandma.  I wanna get this fixed so she can see it again someday.  I love old junk like this.  Without it.  We wouldn't have the new stuff you know?

ya i hear ya love old stuff too as well as old games. i still play diablo 2...

my grampa would play dr mario on the nes. and i grew up on a nes and later a snes. think i had a pc before i had a n64 and game cube if i remember right .

i once was given this old laptop with floppy drive for school...but word didn't have spellcheck so it was useless to me and well tryied to put games on it...

ya family pc had 95 and later on 98 and remember flopys. mario teches typing my sister would play. i later on payed $800 for my own pc a p4.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i hear ya love old stuff too as well as old games. i still play diablo 2...

my grampa would play dr mario on the nes. and i grew up on a nes and later a snes. think i had a pc before i had a n64 and game cube if i remember right .

i once was given this old laptop with floppy drive for school...but word didn't have spellcheck so it was useless to me and well tryied to put games on it...

ya family pc had 95 and later on 98 and remember flopys. mario teches typing my sister would play. i later on payed $800 for my own pc a p4.

My family never played games I was the only one.  So having all this old junk to myself is kinda nice.  Eventually I will pay some lucky bastard a good sum of money to repair this whole device and all my old junk to their fullest working order.  Just don't have space for this 50lb machine.  I have a 4090 and I'm gonna use it until it burns with the cable adapter.