Apple Forcefully Sending Users to Software Update Page

My iPhone is not up to date, nor do I intend on updating it. However, I’ve found that every other time I open the settings app the app sends me to the software update page. I can send it off the page and restart the app, but that doesn’t stop it.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Heres a video of this happening:

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Just now, Erioch said:

Sounds like they're just trying to keep peoples devices up to date.

yeah, I know that. I don’t want them to force me to though. They already make me enter my password every day to tell it to not update, and I don’t want it to be taken to that page every other time I launch the app.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

26 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

My iPhone is not up to date, nor do I intend on updating it. However, I’ve found that every other time I open the settings app the app sends me to the software update page. I can send it off the page and restart the app, but that doesn’t stop it.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Heres a video of this happening:

RPReplay_Final1714049215.mov 5.18 MB · 0 downloads  

You chose Apple, so now Apple chooses your setup and what you can do or not with it, it's how things work with them, they're the guards of the walled garden you're in !

For more freedom get Windows, for full freedom get Linux (the one you want, cause you're free) 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

14 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

don’t want them to force me to

Unfortunately you're kinda hooped. The Apple Ethos is to remove as much user control as possible in the name of protecting them. I like to equate it to using a computer with boxing gloves on.
I'm not saying your annoyance is your fault or anything, Apple makes solid hardware, I just loathe their software

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

55 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

yeah, I know that. I don’t want them to force me to though. They already make me enter my password every day to tell it to not update, and I don’t want it to be taken to that page every other time I launch the app.

It's for your own good.  Do not taunt Apple.  If you're lucky, they're force a U2 album onto your device as well.

34 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Unfortunately you're kinda hooped. The Apple Ethos is to remove as much user control as possible in the name of protecting them. I like to equate it to using a computer with boxing gloves on.
I'm not saying your annoyance is your fault or anything, Apple makes solid hardware, I just loathe their software

They are a master of confuse, obfuscate, annoy, dark pattern, fomo, remove agency and take away control of the user.

They do make good hardware tho as long as its not more than a year or 2 old and you replace it often enough because more often than not a couple years (or recently days with the iphone 15 max) the device start showing cleae design flaws/design shortcuts that cause unnecesary breakage/degradation of hardware.

But again they do have impressive stuff non the less.

Unfortunatly for op this will just continue until updated.

You have disabled automatic installation but not automatic downloading - once downloaded it'll keep reminding you to install

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, da na said:

Buy an 8 month old Android phone, you won't have to worry about getting any update notifications ever again because it's already out of support!

If you buy a cheap Chinese phone, yeah

8 minutes ago, da na said:

Buy an 8 month old Android phone, you won't have to worry about getting any update notifications ever again because it's already out of support!

Honestly it is quite nice not getting annoyed 😛

Have gotten a system update in 2 years and silence is bliss.

I have like an update every time I turn on my s6 lite tablet and its super annoying as it is so much slower when an update is ready to be installed. Making me just use it less in reality as it spends more time updating than I can actually use it 😛

Only reason my shield k1 is still around is that I can just pick it up and use it 😛

I do appreciatw getting these updates but man can it be annoying af especially when the do you want to update now box can just pop up in the middle of typing and there is no second aee you sure you want to start confirmation 😄 (oneplus are now masters at this :p)

25 minutes ago, da na said:

Well okay that's a bit of a bias but if you buy from some no-name company then sure 🙂

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

20 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Honestly it is quite nice not getting annoyed 😛

Have gotten a system update in 2 years and silence is bliss.

I have like an update every time I turn on my s6 lite tablet and its super annoying as it is so much slower when an update is ready to be installed. Making me just use it less in reality as it spends more time updating than I can actually use it 😛

Only reason my shield k1 is still around is that I can just pick it up and use it 😛

I do appreciatw getting these updates but man can it be annoying af especially when the do you want to update now box can just pop up in the middle of typing and there is no second aee you sure you want to start confirmation 😄 (oneplus are now masters at this :p)

Exactly, I can't wait for Windows 10 to hit EOL so updates no longer waste my CPU/battery 😛

It's not forcing you to install the update, just tap "General" in the top left to go back up a level in the control panel.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

you can also delete the update from your storage, which, if you have auto downloads off, will prevent it from downloading the update again.

5 hours ago, PDifolco said:

You chose Apple, so now Apple chooses your setup and what you can do or not with it, it's how things work with them, they're the guards of the walled garden you're in !

Well, I technically didn't choose Apple and I do want an android- but I'm cheap so I use what I got lol

4 hours ago, Erioch said:

If you're lucky, they're force a U2 album onto your device as well.

Apple giving stuff for free&*#^$)&@*(&#

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

They do make good hardware tho as long as its not more than a year or 2 old and you replace it often enough because more often than not a couple years (or recently days with the iphone 15 max) the device start showing cleae design flaws/design shortcuts that cause unnecesary breakage/degradation of hardware.

I would disagree with you there. They've certainly become a little worse about it over the last couple of years, but I think for the most part that Apple hardware lasts about as much as competitors or longer (with the exception being first-gen products). 

I use a 2012 MBP that, through various means, can still be upgraded to the latest version of macOS and run completely fine for web browsing and the like (providing you do some upgrades). 

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You have disabled automatic installation but not automatic downloading - once downloaded it'll keep reminding you to install

oh yeah, you're right. This is a slight tangent, but I will say that when in setup on modern iOS there isn't an option to keep it from downloading iOS updates. The two options given are to keep the iDevice up-to-date automatically or to only download the updates. To keep it from downloading them, you have to go into settings after the fact and change it.

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

The S6 lite still gets updates???

4 hours ago, da na said:

Exactly, I can't wait for Windows 10 to hit EOL so updates no longer waste my CPU/battery 😛

That's an interesting way of thinking about that situation...

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

It's not forcing you to install the update, just tap "General" in the top left to go back up a level in the control panel.

In the video, that's what I did. After exiting the app and relaunching 1-2 times it'll put you right back in the software updates menu. 

1 hour ago, matt0725 said:

you can also delete the update from your storage, 

I don't think there's a way to do that.

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

I don't think there's a way to do that.

Unless it's been removed in a very recent IOS update, it's settings>general>iphone storage> and then will be found in the list once everything populates.

The newest IOS versions can sort by size, alphabetically, or last used date, so its position may vary depending on what sort youre using. It may also be all the way at the bottom now, there are separate lists for system data and the OS now. If my phone wasn't currently up to date I'd be able to tell you for sure where to find it. I've 1000% deleted the update before though as i needed space for other stuff and didn't want to update in the past lol

1 minute ago, matt0725 said:

Unless it's been removed in a very recent IOS update, it's settings>general>iphone storage> and then will be found in the list once everything populates.

The newest IOS versions can sort by size, alphabetically, or last used date, so its position may vary depending on what sort youre using. It may also be all the way at the bottom now, there are separate lists for system data and the OS now. If my phone wasn't currently up to date I'd be able to tell you for sure where to find it. I've 1000% deleted the update before though as i needed space for other stuff and didn't want to update in the past lol

I found it, thanks!

23 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Well, I technically didn't choose Apple and I do want an android- but I'm cheap so I use what I got lol

Huh ? Apple is always more expensive than anything else...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

45 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Apple giving stuff for free&*#^$)&@*(&#

You paid for it with your vibes being ruined :'D

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Huh ? Apple is always more expensive than anything else...

i got my phone for free as a hand-me-down

plus, that's not really true; Apple just doesn't have as much low-tier stuff like Android does.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

You paid for it with your vibes being ruined :'D

LOL

28 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Apple just doesn't have as much low-tier stuff like Android does

Nooooope even the higher tiers.

If you went for something that's in line with the newest iphone (probably like a 23 ultra or 23 plus) it's a boat load cheaper. Only thing holding android back is the OS at this point... 

also apple I swear to God if you don't add more ram ☠️

29 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Nooooope even the higher tiers.

If you went for something that's in line with the newest iphone (probably like a 23 ultra or 23 plus) it's a boat load cheaper. Only thing holding android back is the OS at this point... 

also apple I swear to God if you don't add more ram ☠️

The iPhone 15 Pro starts at $999 and the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra starts at $1,300. The iPhone 15 Pro will get software updates for as much as twice as long as the S24. 

I don't think iPhones need more RAM. It's not like they run slow or lag behind in performance.

EDIT: In fact, Geekbench puts the top performer in Android (the S24 Ultra) at a score of 2100 in single-core performance and 6700 in multi-core. The equivalent scores in iOS devices is the iPhone 12 Pro Max in single-core and the iPhone 14 Pro in multi-core performance. The conclusion we can make here is that iPhones crush Android phones in single-core performance, but don't have as strong of a multi-core performance gain on Android phones (but they still have a gain)

14 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

It's not like they run slow or lag behind in performance

Only reason s24 ultra performance even compares to apple performance is because of having double the ram. Cpu benchmarks don't show this off but every game comparison i've seen the s24 keeps up with the 15 pro max. Plus take into account the ram plus feature on samsung, not sure how much you can do on the s24 ultra.

14 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

The iPhone 15 Pro will get software updates for as much as twice as long as the S24. 

image.png.0d89616b4713553a8b31b915efb1f29c.png

image.png.dbf2451ad305f51bdc9d99bc4536d98d.png

nu uh