NOTHING lets me boot into Windows, and it can't be "fixed"?

Go to solution Solved by BoomerDutch,
13 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

New problem. "Temp" folder in AppData. Can't even open it. "The directory is corrupted and unreadable."

Okay it's possible that ssd is faulty.

Might be possible that you need new ssd.

Considering more things is corrupt and broken.

It is unfortunate news it was not recoverable even with cloning since ssd is faulty.

If you can't sleep regardless you can keep salvaging it put it D: drive before that drive degrades further if it's the case.

I'm heading off, ill reply later.

Wish you good luck!

8 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Uhhh can you avoid system folder at least?

Then yeah try and see if it works.

For whatever reason, I can't copy things out of C. It all shows up, but when I drag it, it does the usual "discovering, 20GB, 35GB, 50GB..." and then says the copy operation completes in like 2 seconds and there's nothing in the backup folder at all. I tried doing the whole contents of the drive, I tried just the users folder, no dice...

4 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

For whatever reason, I can't copy things out of C. It all shows up, but when I drag it, it does the usual "discovering, 20GB, 35GB, 50GB..." and then says the copy operation completes in like 2 seconds and there's nothing in the backup folder at all. I tried doing the whole contents of the drive, I tried just the users folder, no dice...

Can you enter those folders at least and see your files?

Is drive full?

If so then its permission issue probably.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

12 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Uhhh can you avoid system folder at least?

Then yeah try and see if it works.

Yeah, I'm going in deeper now. Making manual folders and dropping contents of the originals inside, ya know? Not "users" but making a new folder in the backup called "users" and then dragging over the contents.

It's going to be tedious, but it seems to be working this way, albeit slowly.

OOH! "Can't read from the source file or disk: file called Windows.edb"
I hit "try again" and it's a 12GB file. That sounds like a big problem, yeah?

2 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Yeah, I'm going in deeper now. Making manual folders and dropping contents of the originals inside, ya know? Not "users" but making a new folder in the backup called "users" and then dragging over the contents.

OOH! "Can't read from the source file or disk: file called Windows.edb"
I hit "try again" and it's a 12GB file. That sounds like a big problem, yeah?

Not all files can be copied because windows put protections on it.

That file can be skipped anything you don't know can be skipped.

1 minute ago, BoomerDutch said:

Not all files can be copied because windows put protections on it.

That file can be skipped anything you don't know can be skipped.

But if I have to format the drive to reinstall Windows, doesn't that mean 12GB of potentially important things I lose?

4 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

I'm with you whole progress so you got your tech guy.

9 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

But if I have to format the drive to reinstall Windows, doesn't that mean 12GB of potentially important things I lose?

Its part of windows system assuming you're talking about windows.edb file some files can be reinstalled since it's not data so it's not important because you're getting new windows.edb assuming its windows system.

And some files is lock files or cache files meaning you started program once and now its cached so it loads faster so its not data as well.

Assuming some of those cannot be copied.

2 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Its part of windows system assuming you're talking about windows.edb file some files can be reinstalled since it's not data so it's not important because you're getting new windows.edb assuming its windows system.

INTERESTING new problem. Opening my "application data" folder... it's a recurring loop. 
User>name>Local>Application Data>Application Data>Application Data... It shows all the appdata for the other things, too. Inside this whole loop it still shows appdada folders for all the other apps/companies. So when I try to copy the folder, it errors.

10 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Also just copy instead move that will copy better.

3 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

INTERESTING new problem. Opening my "application data" folder... it's a recurring loop. 
User>name>Local>Application Data>Application Data>Application Data... It shows all the appdata for the other things, too. Inside this whole loop it still shows appdada folders for all the other apps/companies. So when I try to copy the folder, it errors.

Looks like something drastic happend in appdata maybe you found causes of bsod.

Try copy first directory skip second appdata avoid some stuff that is strange.

13 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Looks like something drastic happend in appdata maybe you found causes of bsod.

Try copy first directory skip second appdata avoid some stuff that is strange.

New problem. "Temp" folder in AppData. Can't even open it. "The directory is corrupted and unreadable."

13 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

It is unfortunate news it was not recoverable even with cloning since ssd is faulty.

If you can't sleep regardless you can keep salvaging it put it D: drive before that drive degrades further if it's the case.

Wish you good luck!

8 hours ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

So do I do your first thing with the new SSD? 
Or do I just install windows again on the current one?
This is my C drive. Most important things are on D:, but I'd like to be able to salvage the C drive.

If I did a new install, how much would I lose? I imagine all things that aren't Windows files stay intact, right? Other programs and whatnot?

A fresh install means everything on the c drive will be lost as you'll need to wipe it.

Hence why I also suggested the option of a secondary ssd or a live boot tk firstly recover files.

Also UNPLUG THE OTHER DRIVER!!!!! When installing windows just in case so nothing weird happens.

When doing the fresh install you will NEED to delete all partitions on the ssd and start from blank otgerwise weirdness can happen.

5 hours ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Down side is that I have no idea if Best Buy sells a drive that will even WORK in my m.2 slot. The internet isn't helpful with that. It says a lot of t

Just get a sata ssd. You wont notice any performanxe difference WHAT SO EVER..

The crucial mx500 and the samsung 860/870 evo are amongst the best and also not exepnsive priced sata drives. DO NOT GET A SAMSUNG QVO!!!! They are miserable garbage.

6 hours ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

I really want to just fix my old drive, THEN clone the Windows installation and all to the new one. Is that an option? 

I really recommend starting over. You'll eventually have to when you replace this pc.

Since ita still thw original windows install and its basically already incredibly far gone I give it basically no chance it will work well again and stay working for more than a month.

Fyi win 11 will run on your pc if you use rufus to create a bootable media drive.

4 hours ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Oh yeah ok thats not good there is a cause of the bsod probably.

Keep in mind temp is a volatine folder normally everything gets deleted on reboot in there

From what I can tell, the SSD drive has gone "Bye-Bye" with it's age and that's to be expected with it's apparent age (9 years old). 

From what I've ran into before, things like documents, vids and pics for example could be copied over to a new drive setup as an archive so you shoudn't lose any of that as long as those files aren't corrupt or inaccesible due to the host drive's condition. 

Other things like programs/apps that have to register to Windows with an install are a different thing - Those most likely can't be copied over to a new OS install and work as they did before BUT there would be files (Such as game saves) that can be.

I'd suggest along with the replacement drive for your actual OS to get another for archive use.
This way you don't have it all on one drive and have a better chance of not losing anything important like documents, vids and pics.

For an archive drive - It doesn't have to be an internal one, external would probrably be better for that purpose and the fact you don't have to use it everytime you start the machine, saving wear and tear on it.

This is an example of such a drive:
Fantom Drives G-Force 2TB USB 3.0/eSATA Aluminum Desktop External Hard Drive Black - Newegg.com

Note it has an "On/Off" switch meaning you can do just that with it as needed.

Turn it on and the OS will detect and automatically mount/load it, simply turn it off and it "Goes Away" like a drive that's been ejected but with no ill-effects because you turned it off, meaning there is no need to "Eject" the drive before you do that.

Best of all that does give a bit of security too in that it's only accessible by the system while it's switched on.

Great for stashing the really important stuff you don't want to lose because of a problem with your OS or even the system in general. It's also a platter HDD so it's not subject to suddenly quit without warning either, chances are you'd still be able to recover what's there before it goes completely out.

Note that an SSD drive is just as good for this use but it's subject to the same risks regarding sudden failure with little to no chance of data recovery in many cases vs a platter type drive.

I have two of these drives (Both HDD platter types) and one of them is well over 10 years old now but it doesn't have alot of runtime on it since new because of how I use it.
Unless I have to access it to either retrive or store a file, it's off and that's why.
The USB cable interface isn't bad and read/write speeds are sufficient for it's purpose.

TIP:
If you happen to get one of these (Fantom Drives) have the blank end of it away from you, it has a blue activity LED that's bright enough to be more than just an annoyance - Like when Ash was like "I'm blind - I'm blind" in the movie "Army of Darkness". 😁

Instead I have both of mine with the switch/plug side facing me (You'd want it that way anyway for convenience) so it won't blind me but I can see the light of it reflecting on the wall behind it and know it's working.

Really any external drive of sufficient size for you would be useable this way so it's just a suggestion you could follow up on.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

From what I've ran into before, things like documents, vids and pics for example could be copied over to a new drive setup as an archive so you shoudn't lose any of that as long as those files aren't corrupt or inaccesible due to the host drive's condition. 

I'd suggest along with the replacement drive for your actual OS to get another for archive use.
This way you don't have it all on one drive and have a better chance of not losing anything important like documents, vids and pics.

Really any external drive of sufficient size for you would be useable this way so it's just a suggestion you could follow up on.

I have a D: Drive, and it was upgraded only a few years ago. It's where all my libraries (pictures, videos, most games, documents) are. Had a 3TB and upgraded to a 6TB in like 2019.

I am going to buy a new SSD in a few hours when stores open, and I just want to do my best to install Windows and clone everything else on the drive.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

When doing the fresh install you will NEED to delete all partitions on the ssd and start from blank otgerwise weirdness can happen.

If I'm getting a new SSD, I'm not putting Windows on the old one again. Getting a new drive, installing Windows, then doing my best to just PLONK everything from the old drive that isn't Windows folders onto the new one. That shouldn't be a problem, from what I know and what I've gathered here, right?

9 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

Wish you good luck!

I'm getting a new SSD regardless. Getting a bigger one in a couple hours. That will be my new C drive. I didn't try cloning yet, just drag-and-dropping all the folders from the old one. I'm thinking buy SSD > put in computer > install Windows > open old drive in Explorer > try to drag and drop again > see what's missing or what is lost forever. I tried to move as many things as possible to my D drive just a couple months ago, so MOST of it should be in there, but I also condensed down a bunch of stuff on C, so that should be slightly less bad than it was. It was all far more cluttered in February... 

24 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

I'm getting a new SSD regardless. Getting a bigger one in a couple hours. That will be my new C drive. I didn't try cloning yet, just drag-and-dropping all the folders from the old one. I'm thinking buy SSD > put in computer > install Windows > open old drive in Explorer > try to drag and drop again > see what's missing or what is lost forever. I tried to move as many things as possible to my D drive just a couple months ago, so MOST of it should be in there, but I also condensed down a bunch of stuff on C, so that should be slightly less bad than it was. It was all far more cluttered in February... 

Glad not everything is lost.

Thank yourself in the past you certainly prevented mass data loss without even knowning it.

Yes that's right way to go.

New ssd - install new windows - move possible all files except system.

It is unfortunate stressful event I'm fairly certain it will be almost back to it was before eventually you'll encounter missing things but I'm fairly certain you'll remember what you had.

So after a month it will be back to your usual computer.

Because of usual habits.

30 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

If I'm getting a new SSD, I'm not putting Windows on the old one again. Getting a new drive, installing Windows, then doing my best to just PLONK everything from the old drive that isn't Windows folders onto the new one. That shouldn't be a problem, from what I know and what I've gathered here, right?

Copying programs doesn't work. You always need to install them so all the registery edits and everything are there.

Steam games and such are an exception.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Copying programs doesn't work. You always need to install them so all the registery edits and everything are there.

I've mentioned multiple times so at this point its user choice.

And yeah I've said try it its probably hit or miss.

39 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

I've mentioned multiple times so at this point its user choice.

And yeah I've said try it its probably hit or miss.

They'll quickly notice it dont work like that either way

1 hour ago, BoomerDutch said:

Glad not everything is lost.

Thank yourself in the past you certainly prevented mass data loss without even knowning it.

Yes that's right way to go.

New ssd - install new windows - move possible all files except system.

It is unfortunate stressful event I'm fairly certain it will be almost back to it was before eventually you'll encounter missing things but I'm fairly certain you'll remember what you had.

So after a month it will be back to your usual computer.

Because of usual habits.

9 years is a LONG time, and I've basically been using this thing every day nonstop. Between the 200+ Skyrim mods, custom launchers for beta games like Clone Hero, and little tiny programs like "redirect Cortana to Google" and stuff, there's been thousands of little things. I'll never get them all. I just hope that even if I can't clone the drive perfectly, I can at least ACCESS the things on the old drive. I won't wipe it. I'll keep it as an E drive if I ever need to look for something that didn't transfer.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

THAT will be a big problem then. I'll NEVER find them all again...