PC Restarts fine, but requires a PSU power toggle to POST after shutting down

decolon

So I recently upgraded to a B650/7800x3d/DDR5 6000 and a new RMx850 PSU. After assembling the build I have a specific issue where only on a startup from a shut down I cannot post, but if I turn off the psu and turn it back on or unplug and replug I can get a post. Also a restart works fine, so its only after shutting down the system that I have issues. Does anyone have experience with this problem or know where to start with troubleshooting?

Can you share the specifics?

Mobo mfr and model

Memory mfr and part no

Got the Corsair RMx850 PSU. It's probably not at fault here. I'm suspecting something with the mobo, memory, or maybe it is having problems with AMD EXPO?

4 minutes ago, sounds said:

Can you share the specifics?

Mobo mfr and model

Memory mfr and part no

Got the Corsair RMx850 PSU. It's probably not at fault here. I'm suspecting something with the mobo, memory, or maybe it is having problems with AMD EXPO?

Motherboard is Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX V1 rev 1.5 BIOS version F21

Memory is GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000 CL 32 (6000J322X16FX5)

I'd look in the bios and fiddle with these settings in the "Platform Power" section
Power Supply Idle Control

Power Loading

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

What values are recommended for those settings? Is this most likely a BIOS setting and not a hardware issue? If so I'll play around with BIOS to see. Everything except PBO and EXPO are stock

35 minutes ago, decolon said:

What values are recommended for those settings? Is this most likely a BIOS setting and not a hardware issue? If so I'll play around with BIOS to see. Everything except PBO and EXPO are stock

could very well be either at fault. Don't forget, 'Shutdown' isn't a true shutdown anymore, it's a hybrid suspense/hibernate function. Restart is the true 'start a new session' command so that's why it acts differently as you're seeing.

Is it possible this is due to no 4 pin connection on the 8+4 CPU connection? Currently only connected 8pin cpu

I recommend trying taking it back to the default settings in the BIOS. Plug in the 4 pin CPU power connection so it gets the full 8+4 CPU power. Anything you can think of that might give it a better chance to do a shut down, boot up cycle successfully. After you get it working, you can enable PBO, test it, then enable EXPO, test it, and by taking things slow, you'll know exactly at what point it breaks.

Yeah, I think that's the first thing I would do. Try to think of anything I can do to get the system to be closer to its default settings.

I looked at Corsair RMX RM850x. Looks like it has enough modular plugs to be able to do the 8+4 CPU power. Please let us know if we're assuming things - we're trying to debug it remotely.

I also looked at Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX V1 rev 1.5. There's a very useful section on page 19 / 41 of the English manual for the board:

Status Leds

If the CPU/DRAM/VGA LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally; if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet.

If it works the way I think it does, the LEDs turn off in a set sequence. That is showing you where the UEFI BIOS got to in the AGESA memory training, PCI link and video bringup. (Once video is up you can get more details by seeing things on the screen.)

And it sounds like your board doesn't complete that sequence after a power-off...

After you've plugged in a 4pin and reset the BIOS to defaults, try booting and then shutting down to get to the problem. If none of those status LEDs are even lit, then the UEFI BIOS did not even start yet.

Otherwise, I'm curious which of those LEDs are still lit.

Ain't no way...

I've been having an issue very similar to if not the same as this, you got one of Micro Center's bundles, right? I got their 7900X bundle in late Feb, I believe it's got the same memory kit as yours does. 

But yeah, similar issue, except I think mine is a bit more random (as in whether it decides to post or not regardless of what you do), my pc usually posts after either a hard shutdown or unplugging/switching off the PSU, at first I thought it had something to do with my main monitor as it's been giving me issues since the day I bought it (didn't exchange it because I figured it was drivers or software or something), but then it was happening to my 2nd monitor, so I figured maybe it was where it was plugged in, the gpu or motherboard video ports, was stuck on that for awhile, decided to exchange both the board and the ram (every single startup, the memory LED (orange) during the startup sequence thing, would stay on for a good while (from 20 seconds to over 10 minutes) before moving onto the next check), but no, I'm still having the same issue with the replacement motherboard and memory, though I do think that the 1st memory kit was a little defective since it doesn't get hung up on the memory check anymore. Also, probably doesn't matter, but I have the same power supply, except I bought mine a little over a year ago.

Hell, even now from a proper hard shutdown, sometimes it still won't post, just does that thing with the monitor being on but not showing anything.

I did mess with a buncha stuff (reseating ram, reseating cables, changing BIOS settings, updating the BIOS, reverting the BIOS update, etc) before I exchanged the parts, still nothing.

I've found what seems to be a mostly reliable temporary fix/bypass, but with my pc sometimes it still doesn't post and I have to hard shutdown before I try again; and this also might just be applicable to me since I have dual monitors and/or this specific probably faulty monitor, but idk.

What I've been doing is unplugging the display cable from my primary monitor before it finishes that startup check sequence, and as soon as I see the ROG logo (in your case, the GIGABYTE logo) on my 2nd monitor I reconnect the main monitor, OS loads and boom, back to normal, until you shut down/hibernate your pc again. Not really sure if it's possible with a single monitor though.

2 hours ago, SergNMerp said:

Ain't no way...

I've been having an issue very similar to if not the same as this, you got one of Micro Center's bundles, right? I got their 7900X bundle in late Feb, I believe it's got the same memory kit as yours does. 

But yeah, similar issue, except I think mine is a bit more random (as in whether it decides to post or not regardless of what you do), my pc usually posts after either a hard shutdown or unplugging/switching off the PSU, at first I thought it had something to do with my main monitor as it's been giving me issues since the day I bought it (didn't exchange it because I figured it was drivers or software or something), but then it was happening to my 2nd monitor, so I figured maybe it was where it was plugged in, the gpu or motherboard video ports, was stuck on that for awhile, decided to exchange both the board and the ram (every single startup, the memory LED (orange) during the startup sequence thing, would stay on for a good while (from 20 seconds to over 10 minutes) before moving onto the next check), but no, I'm still having the same issue with the replacement motherboard and memory, though I do think that the 1st memory kit was a little defective since it doesn't get hung up on the memory check anymore. Also, probably doesn't matter, but I have the same power supply, except I bought mine a little over a year ago.

Hell, even now from a proper hard shutdown, sometimes it still won't post, just does that thing with the monitor being on but not showing anything.

I did mess with a buncha stuff (reseating ram, reseating cables, changing BIOS settings, updating the BIOS, reverting the BIOS update, etc) before I exchanged the parts, still nothing.

I've found what seems to be a mostly reliable temporary fix/bypass, but with my pc sometimes it still doesn't post and I have to hard shutdown before I try again; and this also might just be applicable to me since I have dual monitors and/or this specific probably faulty monitor, but idk.

What I've been doing is unplugging the display cable from my primary monitor before it finishes that startup check sequence, and as soon as I see the ROG logo (in your case, the GIGABYTE logo) on my 2nd monitor I reconnect the main monitor, OS loads and boom, back to normal, until you shut down/hibernate your pc again. Not really sure if it's possible with a single monitor though.

Yeah it was a microcenter bundle, Im pretty sure its either mobo or cpu that has the issue and im leaning towards the motherboard

18 hours ago, sounds said:

I recommend trying taking it back to the default settings in the BIOS. Plug in the 4 pin CPU power connection so it gets the full 8+4 CPU power. Anything you can think of that might give it a better chance to do a shut down, boot up cycle successfully. After you get it working, you can enable PBO, test it, then enable EXPO, test it, and by taking things slow, you'll know exactly at what point it breaks.

Yeah, I think that's the first thing I would do. Try to think of anything I can do to get the system to be closer to its default settings.

I looked at Corsair RMX RM850x. Looks like it has enough modular plugs to be able to do the 8+4 CPU power. Please let us know if we're assuming things - we're trying to debug it remotely.

I also looked at Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX V1 rev 1.5. There's a very useful section on page 19 / 41 of the English manual for the board:

If it works the way I think it does, the LEDs turn off in a set sequence. That is showing you where the UEFI BIOS got to in the AGESA memory training, PCI link and video bringup. (Once video is up you can get more details by seeing things on the screen.)

And it sounds like your board doesn't complete that sequence after a power-off...

After you've plugged in a 4pin and reset the BIOS to defaults, try booting and then shutting down to get to the problem. If none of those status LEDs are even lit, then the UEFI BIOS did not even start yet.

Otherwise, I'm curious which of those LEDs are still lit.

I get the CPU led when the computer is off and when in BIOS/before posting. If I get a post, the CPU light goes off

I don't really follow you. It sounds like sometimes you do get it to post?

But yeah, that's going to be the best clue we can dig out - the CPU led stays lit - means the CPU didn't start. I think your initial hunch was right, about plugging in the 8+4 CPU power pins.

13 hours ago, sounds said:

I don't really follow you. It sounds like sometimes you do get it to post?

But yeah, that's going to be the best clue we can dig out - the CPU led stays lit - means the CPU didn't start. I think your initial hunch was right, about plugging in the 8+4 CPU power pins.

This is going to be my last resort, I highly doubt this is the case because the 7800x3d doesn't come anywhere close to using the power even from a single 8pin. Yes, I can post if I turn off the PSU and turn it back on after shutting down the PC. But if I don't flip the PSU just turning it on again won't post even if the fans and stuff are on.

Testing out power settings in bios