Home NAS build with docker

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

Yes I have a lot of opinions here.

your RAM Choice is horrible.  You can get 32GB DDR4 RAM for way less than that.  You can get faster ram for 55$ for 32GB.

1TB HDDs are stupid, and those are a TERRIBLE price.  do not waste your money on that.  Honestly for anything under 4TB, getting HDDs is kinda dumb?  But if you really want HDDs?  you can get a 3TB IronWolf NAS Drive for 100$ and run 2x in raid1 for /actually/ 3TB.  (3x 1tb drives will be 2TB of space with RAID.)

If you want to run a RAID:  I'd suggest getting at least 4TB Drives.  (If you wait for a good sale, you can find 8TB Drives in the 100-125$ Range at times.)

Hi, I'd like to move away from raspberry to something more substantial. The idea is to have a dedicated machine, that would run probably Unraid with couple docker containers. The main purpose of the machine is NAS. In Docker I'd like to have home assistant server, plex server, invoice ninja (https://www.invoiceninja.org) and maybe one or 2 other things. My main goal is to have my own cloud storage accessible on home network and from the outside for stuff like photo backups, important documents, not huge media library (hence plex) etc. and to host HA.

I have created this parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rCNvt7 which I believe could accommodate my needs. I know the motherboard only supports 1gig ethernet and it's okey. We don't have that fast internet anyway and won't be moving any huge files over internal network (Plex is gonna stream to Apple TV over wifi anyway most probably).

Can you please confirm if such build would be sufficient and if not propose changes? 

Thank you very much

2 minutes ago, MatejZima said:

Hi, I'd like to move away from raspberry to something more substantial. The idea is to have a dedicated machine, that would run probably Unraid with couple docker containers. The main purpose of the machine is NAS. In Docker I'd like to have home assistant server, plex server, invoice ninja (https://www.invoiceninja.org) and maybe one or 2 other things. My main goal is to have my own cloud storage accessible on home network and from the outside for stuff like photo backups, important documents, not huge media library (hence plex) etc. and to host HA.

I have created this parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rCNvt7 which I believe could accommodate my needs. I know the motherboard only supports 1gig ethernet and it's okey. We don't have that fast internet anyway and won't be moving any huge files over internal network (Plex is gonna stream to Apple TV over wifi anyway most probably).

Can you please confirm if such build would be sufficient and if not propose changes? 

Thank you very much

build looks good to me. the 10105 is a decent CPU. The 32gb of ram should be able to support all of the nas tasks, and 3tb should be sufficient. The build should be good enough for your needs.

The 10105 included a cooler, so use that instead getting a different one.

I'd get fewer bigger drives, so probably 1x4TB or 2x4TB or bigger here.

Make sure to get a USB for unraid boot drive. 

I'd probably skip the cache ssd and just get larger HDDS. 1TB drives fill up fast with media.

your RAM Choice is horrible.  You can get 32GB DDR4 RAM for way less than that.  You can get faster ram for 55$ for 32GB.

1TB HDDs are stupid, and those are a TERRIBLE price.  do not waste your money on that.  Honestly for anything under 4TB, getting HDDs is kinda dumb?  But if you really want HDDs?  you can get a 3TB IronWolf NAS Drive for 100$ and run 2x in raid1 for /actually/ 3TB.  (3x 1tb drives will be 2TB of space with RAID.)

If you want to run a RAID:  I'd suggest getting at least 4TB Drives.  (If you wait for a good sale, you can find 8TB Drives in the 100-125$ Range at times.)

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The 10105 included a cooler, so use that instead getting a different one.

I'd get fewer bigger drives, so probably 1x4TB or 2x4TB or bigger here.

Make sure to get a USB for unraid boot drive. 

I'd probably skip the cache ssd and just get larger HDDS. 1TB drives fill up fast with media.

Hey, thanks for the comment. I know it has a cooler, this one was just so I don't get compatibility comment from the Part Picker 😄 
The ssd is suppose to be boot drive, but I forgot unraid boots from usb stick. 😕 that's a shame. Any way around it? Having USB drive sticking out feels dumb

5 minutes ago, MatejZima said:

Hey, thanks for the comment. I know it has a cooler, this one was just so I don't get compatibility comment from the Part Picker 😄 
The ssd is suppose to be boot drive, but I forgot unraid boots from usb stick. 😕 that's a shame. Any way around it? Having USB drive sticking out feels dumb

you can put the usb drive internally using a internal USB header.

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

Hey thanks for the opinions.

My understanding was that the Intel Core i3-10105 is limited to 2666 MHz so the RAM would adjust to that. Am I wrong? If so, I'd be happy to select faster RAM. As for the price, I'm from Czech Republic and I put together the list on the biggest online store here, so you're probably right, I could find better deals, I just want to figure out the specs first. 

HDDs, again, the price...same store as above. As for the capacity, I don't really need that much storage and I can always upgrade it down the line. I looking to get started for a lower price (from what I saw, the drives actually take up a significant part of the overall price) on good enough specs (CPU, RAM, etc) and when I need more storage, I will upgrade it.

Also, I want to eventually setup site-to-site VPN to our cottage and have maybe just a raspberry there with external drive plug into it and backup some important files there for offsite backup. 

Yes, you can easily run 3200, 3600 or faster memory on that CPU.  

as for the HDDs, my opinion hasn't changed:
1TB HDDs are a terrible purchase no matter how you cut it.   (The ones in your PCPP link are *more* expensive than 1TB SATA SSDs.)  

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

1TB HDDs are a terrible purchase no matter how you cut it.   (The ones in your PCPP link are *more* expensive than 1TB SATA SSDs.)  

fair enough...good point on the price. I checked here and really can get 2 or 3 TB drives for about 10 bucks more per drive. That's no brainer. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Isn't ram overclocking locked to the chipset also? With a h510 I don't think you can oc the memory past the stock speed on the CPU.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Isn't ram overclocking locked to the chipset also? With a h510 I don't think you can oc the memory past the stock speed on the CPU.

XMP should still be there.  

29 minutes ago, tkitch said:

XMP should still be there.  

If I may few more questions...
Will the data and power sata cables be included with the motherboard or the drives, or maybe the PSU? 
Will the stock cooler have pre-applied thermal paste? Or will I need to get that as well?

Thanks a lot! 🙏

8 minutes ago, MatejZima said:

If I may few more questions...
Will the data and power sata cables be included with the motherboard or the drives, or maybe the PSU? 
Will the stock cooler have pre-applied thermal paste? Or will I need to get that as well?

Thanks a lot! 🙏

at least a couple SATA cables will be included with the motherboard.

Power cables are part of the PSU.

Yes, if you don't turn on XMP it'll default to CPU Stock speeds (2666)