Does my rig support the I9-14900K?

Hello, everyone. I hope you're all doing great.

I am currently thinking of upgrading my processor to the I9-14900K. At the moment I own the i5-13600K.

My motherboard is the MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WI-FI DDR4 and I have a 850Watt Corsarir PSU.

Does anyone know if my motherboard and PSU fully support the i9-14900K? I also own a 4070 TI and will use my rig only for gaming.

10 minutes ago, Vitavaz said:

Hello, everyone. I hope you're all doing great.

I am currently thinking of upgrading my processor to the I9-14900K. At the moment I own the i5-13600K.

My motherboard is the MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WI-FI DDR4 and I have a 850Watt Corsarir PSU.

Does anyone know if my motherboard and PSU fully support the i9-14900K? I also own a 4070 TI and will use my rig only for gaming.

They should do with a BIOS update, however whats the cooler situation like?

And why are you upgrading past the 13600K?

What resolution are you playing at?

What GPU do you have?

13600K should be largely adequate for most games and most graphics cards

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

17 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

This is my cooler at the moment: 

NZXT Kraken x53 240mm Liquid CPU cooler

1 minute ago, Vitavaz said:

Why are you upgrading the CPU?  What is it not doing for you?  

7 minutes ago, tkitch said:

The 13600kf is a very capable cpu. Unless you have a reason, I don't see why you should upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, Vitavaz said:

Why the upgrade?

What case btw? A x53 is not even remotely close to enough to cool a base 14900k which in games btw is barely faster.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why the upgrade?

What case btw? A x53 is not even remotely close to enough to cool a base 14900k which in games btw is barely faster.

it will cool the cpu fine, just not on unlimited power budget.  At 150 or 250w presets, it'll be okay.

a 14900k is basically a flamethrower

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

it will cool the cpu fine, just not on unlimited power budget.  At 150 or 250w presets, it'll be okay.

At 253w limit it wont. Its at thermal limit. Also it isnt even better at gaming at 253w let alone at 150w. It only starts doing great when letting it rip

But whats the point of the upgrade? a 13600kf is good enough for gaming.

To be honest with you all, I just bought a 500hz monitor and I want to make sure I hit 500fps+ in Valorant (Please don't judge 😂). I've been told that that my processor is the reason why I don't hit that much today.

To be honest with you all, I just bought a 500hz monitor and I want to make sure I hit 500fps+ in Valorant (Please don't judge 😂). I've been told that that my processor is the reason why I don't hit that much today since the 4070 TI is already more than enough.

4 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

But whats the point of the upgrade? a 13600kf is good enough for gaming.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Why the upgrade?

6 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

The 13600kf is a very capable cpu. Unless you have a reason, I don't see why you should upgrade. 

6 hours ago, tkitch said:

6 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

And why are you upgrading past the 13600K?

What GPU do you have?

13600K should be largely adequate for most games and most graphics cards

To be honest with you all, I just bought a 500hz monitor and I want to make sure I hit 500fps+ in Valorant (Please don't judge 😂). I've been told that that my processor is the reason why I don't hit that much today. I know it's dumb, but anyways, just want to make sure I get the most out of the monitor I bought.

6 minutes ago, Vitavaz said:

To be honest with you all, I just bought a 500hz monitor and I want to make sure I hit 500fps+ in Valorant (Please don't judge 😂). I've been told that that my processor is the reason why I don't hit that much today.

Yes. Valorant is very cpu intensive. But the 13600f is still good. How much fps are you currently getting? If its over 500, then there is no point of upgrading. I get 300 fps in val with a 12100f

2 hours ago, Vitavaz said:

If you wanna do that dumb stuff you need a 7800x3d. It's the best gaming cpu out there right now and a 14900k just doesn't live up to it.

For the price of that cpu you can have a GOOD board like the b650 ds3h and the 7800x3d AND still have money left over.

2 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

Yes. Valorant is very cpu intensive. But the 13600f is still good. How much fps are you currently getting? If its over 500, then there is no point of upgrading. I get 300 fps in val with a 12100f

That's the weird thing, I get the same as you. Around 350 on average (on low settings).

9 minutes ago, Vitavaz said:

That's the weird thing, I get the same as you. Around 350 on average (on low settings).

Keep in mind the games that can do 500fps on current best gaming cpu's are like 5 maybe? Most games are hard engine limited and the ones that can do it are either old or purpose made for it. Valorant could do it but well you'd need a 7800x3d or a tamed 13900/14900k (this is hard to do so I simply recommend a switch to the 7800x3d bonus is that they still have at least 1 generation of cpu to come!).

Even then no guarantee.

You bought a marketing special big numbers good display basically and are now the proud owner of a niche product of the userbase of like a couple thousand gamers most likely so don't expect too much intentional support 😛

Either way if you want to have a 13900k/14900k (same cpu btw) and have it run properly aka UNLOCKED power limit you'll need THE BEST coolers out there. Or just swap to amd and don't give a shit. Keep in mind unlocked that intel chip will consume 300w+ so if your power isn't cheap I recommend you don't get it.

11 hours ago, Vitavaz said:

To be honest with you all, I just bought a 500hz monitor and I want to make sure I hit 500fps+ in Valorant (Please don't judge 😂). I've been told that that my processor is the reason why I don't hit that much today. I know it's dumb, but anyways, just want to make sure I get the most out of the monitor I bought.

What GPU do you have?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

It does technically however I feel you might cook the shit out of the vrm, I’d be pointing a fan at the vrm bare minimum and be prepared to underclock and undervolt to 5.3 

On the p cores

psu should be fine if you don’t alow an insane power limit something like 300w on the cpu

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 4/18/2024 at 8:07 PM, Vitavaz said:

To be honest with you all, I just bought a 500hz monitor and I want to make sure I hit 500fps+ in Valorant (Please don't judge 😂). I've been told that that my processor is the reason why I don't hit that much today since the 4070 TI is already more than enough.

In which case turn off your e cores and overclock to 5.5ghz on ur current cpu 

and look into decent ram to overclock would be money spent 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper