Cloning a Physical Win XP/98 machine to run on a VM (P2V)

Hi.

I some industrial machines that have there one PC with all the software that the machines needs to work. Some PC's have win xp others have win 98.

So i cant upgrade to a newer version of windows because the software are not compatible with newer versions of windows and even if wase compatible the configuration processes are complicated.

I allready have done one machine and its working fine but on the 2nd machine i have encouter a issue.

Im using a Solftware called Disk2VHD and on the 1st machine i made the VHD file on the physical and worked fine now doing the same on the 2nd machine it dosent start "cloning" and gives me a error of "ERROR: INCORRECT FUNCION". So i took the HDD from the physical machine and using a HDD Dock i connected to my win 11 machine., and the "cloning" start but at the end it get stock and dosent give me any error just stops.

I allready try to use StarWind V2V Converter but no success. on 26% it gives me a error "error read file"

Any one have a solucion ou a alternative?

1 hour ago, KrAzYY said:

Hi.

I some industrial machines that have there one PC with all the software that the machines needs to work. Some PC's have win xp others have win 98.

So i cant upgrade to a newer version of windows because the software are not compatible with newer versions of windows and even if wase compatible the configuration processes are complicated.

I allready have done one machine and its working fine but on the 2nd machine i have encouter a issue.

Im using a Solftware called Disk2VHD and on the 1st machine i made the VHD file on the physical and worked fine now doing the same on the 2nd machine it dosent start "cloning" and gives me a error of "ERROR: INCORRECT FUNCION". So i took the HDD from the physical machine and using a HDD Dock i connected to my win 11 machine., and the "cloning" start but at the end it get stock and dosent give me any error just stops.

I allready try to use StarWind V2V Converter but no success. on 26% it gives me a error "error read file"

Any one have a solucion ou a alternative?

I've used StarWind V2V Converter a few times personally.

Regarding old machines like that, I recently upgraded a Server 2000 industrial machine to Windows 10. The software might've not been 'compatible', but it might surprise you that it works with the right compatibility configurations.

Does the credential you're using to run Starwind have full admin of every file? I could see the 'error read file' error being from permissions.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

49 minutes ago, Agall said:

I've used StarWind V2V Converter a few times personally.

Regarding old machines like that, I recently upgraded a Server 2000 industrial machine to Windows 10. The software might've not been 'compatible', but it might surprise you that it works with the right compatibility configurations.

Does the credential you're using to run Starwind have full admin of every file? I could see the 'error read file' error being from permissions.

Regarding the compatibility i have allready try some machines and the manufactor program dont work and in some cases the manufactor have ended suport to that software. 

Yes StarWind V2V Converter its started as administrator

55 minutes ago, Agall said:

Regarding old machines like that, I recently upgraded a Server 2000 industrial machine to Windows 10. The software might've not been 'compatible', but it might surprise you that it works with the right compatibility configurations

Yeah, but you gotta understand, these are industrial machine control units. They are the wildest, most jury rigged towers you have ever seen. 

2 hours ago, KrAzYY said:

So i took the HDD from the physical machine and using a HDD Dock i connected to my win 11 machine., and the "cloning" start but at the end it get stock and dosent give me any error just stops.

I'd check to see if there are any extremely long file paths. Also probably clone the HDD to an SSD just in case the drive dies.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

16 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Yeah, but you gotta understand, these are industrial machine control units. They are the wildest, most jury rigged towers you have ever seen. 

I'd check to see if there are any extremely long file paths. Also probably clone the HDD to an SSD just in case the drive dies.

Exacly, some times only technicians from the manufactor are able to config the PC to work with the machine/CNC.

I make backups every 2 week and made one before starting this project.

Any suggestions to resolve the problem?

24 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Oh sorry I did not see the part that you talk about "extremely long file paths". Well there are 2 files that are 35gb each, I will try to make the migration without that 2 files to see if it works.

57 minutes ago, KrAzYY said:

Oh sorry I did not see the part that you talk about "extremely long file paths". Well there are 2 files that are 35gb each, I will try to make the migration without that 2 files to see if it works.

Not file size, but total path length. Sometimes those can exceed the maximum allowed for windows and you have to edit a reg key to allow windows to access them

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, OddOod said:

I've had to fix several of these type machines. Most recently a control computer for a machine that ran win7 and a special set of software. The software ran normal on WIndows 10, but had several pieces of software like an encryption one that the installation media didn't have. I haven't yet found a disk for that software, but at least its an entirely offline computer. It has some special encryption process for the USB to serial adapter that interfaces to the machine.

I've had to troubleshoot 90s era Windows NT 4.0 machines that also ran large industrial equipment. The example I gave was a specialty machine with its specialty software that even had a parallel licensing key. I was able to successfully install that software on a Windows 10 machine and effectively reverse engineer the installation process to get every layer of configuration, including reconfiguring the Windows NT 4.0 machine to use TCP/IP instead of netBEUI.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

17 hours ago, OddOod said:

Not file size, but total path length. Sometimes those can exceed the maximum allowed for windows and you have to edit a reg key to allow windows to access them

How can i know if the patch length it exceed's the maximum allowed?

Well i took a look at the log form Starwind and i see this error "???WARNING: P2V::getBuffer: ReadFile - 23. Erro de dados (erro por redundância Cíclica)." translating to english is "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

Sounds like you need to run a chkdsk