Can bad gpu cause glitches in games?

Go to solution Solved by QwertyChouskie,

Minecraft Java uses OpenGL for rendering, and AMD's OpenGL support on Windows has historically been... not good.  Given that the devs states they test on a AMD+Linux config, give that a try, as the AMD OpenGL drivers on Linux are much, MUCH better in both speed and conformance.

I've been trying out some different minecraft shaders on my rx 580, but some of the more demanding ones seem to have some glitches in the shadows. Could this be caused by my gpu?

I doubt anyone can tell you without more information.

• Which specific shader(s) cause the issue?
  • What does the issue look like? (Maybe provide a screenshot)

Could be an issue with the GPU, but could also simply be a bug with the particular shader. Is it the RX 580 4 GB or 8 GB? If the shaders are more demanding, could potentially be an issue of too little VRAM.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

19 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I doubt anyone can tell you without more information.

• Which specific shader(s) cause the issue?
  • What does the issue look like? (Maybe provide a screenshot)

Could be an issue with the GPU, but could also simply be a bug with the particular shader. Is it the RX 580 4 GB or 8 GB? If the shaders are more demanding, could potentially be an issue of too little VRAM.

I have the 8gb version of the 580. 

The shadows are just wrong:

wKcwAswT.png?format=webp&quality=lossless

I dont think its a vram issue either as shown below:

image.png

I'm using rethinking voxels which are quite demanding shaders and have "RTX" that technically dont use rt cores but are supposed to immitate them. Heres what they are supposed to look like:

image.png.0b7caef4eddd265dda70a747d23c834d.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

The shadows are just wrong:

I'm using rethinking voxels which are quite demanding shaders and have "RTX" that technically dont use rt cores but are supposed to immitate them. Heres what they are supposed to look like:

Difficult to tell if it's wrong, since your geometry and light setup are completely different from their example. I would try to recreate that as much as possible to compare.

Maybe you've found an edge case where the shader simply breaks. As far as I can see, the whole thing is marked as a beta. Are you combining it with any other shaders?

Also note the author's comments:

This shader is developed on Iris, using an AMD graphics card on linux, and it is also tested on an NVidia graphics card on linux. While it usually works on other platforms, bugs that appear only there are not caught by my testing and hence they take longer to fix. To use this shader pack, the Iris shader loader is required.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Difficult to tell if it's wrong, since your geometry and light setup are completely different from their example. I would try to recreate that as much as possible to compare.

Maybe you've found an edge case where the shader simply breaks. As far as I can see, the whole thing is marked as a beta. Are you combining it with any other shaders?

Also note the author's comments:

Nope I just used this shader. The glitch only happened when I was in a confined space looking at the player shadow. After checking the download link i used, yea I was playing with a beta. That was 99.9% probrably the issue but im abouta go to bed and already turned off my pc, on my laptop rn. I'll get back to u with whether or not downloading the most updated version fixed the problem. Thx for the help!

23 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

The glitch only happened when I was in a confined space looking at the player shadow.

I would assume that's it. Objects close to a light source can often cause glitches in lighting systems, because shadows get really large

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I would assume that's it. Objects close to a light source can often cause glitches in lighting systems, because shadows get really large

That and transparancies can often break when multiple light sources or reflections of light meet when faking ray traced shadows.

This just looks like a random bug and may just be specific to users with similar hardware or settings or ... plenty other things where you just have just the right combination of stuff to trigger it and it may just be uncommon.

Minecraft Java uses OpenGL for rendering, and AMD's OpenGL support on Windows has historically been... not good.  Given that the devs states they test on a AMD+Linux config, give that a try, as the AMD OpenGL drivers on Linux are much, MUCH better in both speed and conformance.