Dual-Channel RAM with asymmetrical sticks

I've got a laptop which has 8gb soldered and a SODIMM slot, also with 8gb. I'd like to upgrade the SODIMM slot to 16 or even 32GB, but I'm unclear on whether this would adversely affect performance or interfere with dual-channel wizardry. Can anyone advise?

it's time

28 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I'd like to upgrade the SODIMM slot to 16 or even 32GB, but I'm unclear on whether this would adversely affect performance or interfere with dual-channel wizardry. Can anyone advise?

You'll end up in a sort of hybrid mode for memory performance (IIRC called flex mode), where the first 16GB will be in dual channel and perform as such, but the last 8GB or last 24GB respectively will be in single channel. It will be a straight performance uplift, since either you don't need more than 16GB and it's at the same speed it was before, or you do need more than 16GB and it's sped up infinitely because you aren't having to resort to the page file or getting out of memory errors.

You will get the first 16GB in dual channel (8 soldered and 8 from the dimm) and any excess memory will run in single channel
Do make sure your specific laptop can support the amount of memory you are planning on installing. Some laptops max out at 32GB and will not boot with more. 
I had one that capped at 8GB 😞

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup