(cursed setup rig showcase) Can We Put A Cursed Category For Setups?

Just now, da na said:

Very true.

Once you use a really good CRT or hell, even a CCFL, you'll never want to go back to LED

Where would a BenQ G900 stand here? I got one while I was banned gone, complete in its box. Takes a while to 'warm up' so it's CCFL, pretty sharp picture and decent brightness, DVI-D, square of course. I could use it but I'd rather keep it as a spare, I don't like dual screens, desk already cluttered to the top.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Where would a BenQ G900 stand here? I got one while I was banned gone, complete in its box. Takes a while to 'warm up' so it's CCFL, pretty sharp picture and decent brightness, DVI-D, square of course. I could use it but I'd rather keep it as a spare, I don't like dual screens, desk already cluttered to the top.

That's a midlevel CCFL but probably still looks better than a ton of LEDs. 

The really good ones would be like the Apple Cinema HD Display, Dell E248WFP, etc - 1920x1200. 

IMO CCFLs are most enjoyable on laptops though since laptop LED displays, especially older ones, tend to be awfully horrendous - HP Pavilion DV6000/9000 and DV4 series are my go-to examples of stunning CCFL displays. As @LloydLynx once put it, "suspiciously good-looking TN panel".

3 minutes ago, da na said:

Boy I love modern computers where updating bloatware breaks the board on a hardware level. Good lord

It worked so well until Asus existed.  Here's to hoping their RMA process goes fine.  I wasn't overclocking or nothing.  Just pure stock.  Mid install just died like grandpa.  What a bother.

7 minutes ago, da na said:

That's a midlevel CCFL but probably still looks better than a ton of LEDs. 

The really good ones would be like the Apple Cinema HD Display, Dell E248WFP, etc - 1920x1200. 

IMO CCFLs are most enjoyable on laptops though since laptop LED displays, especially older ones, tend to be awfully horrendous - HP Pavilion DV6000/9000 and DV4 series are my go-to examples of stunning CCFL displays. As @LloydLynx once put it, "suspiciously good-looking TN panel".

I got no clue what you're on about rn.  Can you summarize it in idiot terms for me?  This brain ain't built for thinking too hard.

2 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

I got no clue what you're on about rn.  Can you summarize it in idiot terms for me?  This brain ain't built for thinking too hard.

CCFL: Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp. Older (and subjectively superior) form of monitor backlight that, while using a great deal more power and producing quite a lot more heat than an LED backlight, produces a warmer, more natural light. 

Many LED displays look washed-out, blue, and harsh. CCFLs (particularly glossy ones on laptops, as mentioned) tend to produce a warmer, more natural, less eye-burning light. 

1 minute ago, da na said:

CCFL: Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp. Older (and subjectively superior) form of monitor backlight that, while using a great deal more power and producing quite a lot more heat than an LED backlight, produces a warmer, more natural light. 

Many LED displays look washed-out, blue, and harsh. CCFLs (particularly glossy ones on laptops, as mentioned) tend to produce a warmer, more natural, less eye-burning light. 

What about OLED is it as good as that?  I got me a 4K LG C3 48" Evo OLED I might pair up with that CRT someday.  Think that'll work for a stupid rig?

3 minutes ago, da na said:

This kinda stuff is way outta my field of technology.

3 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

What about OLED is it as good as that?  I got me a 4K LG C3 48" Evo OLED I might pair up with that CRT someday.  Think that'll work for a stupid rig?

I prefer CCFL to anything else myself. Although OLED is the technically superior technology.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

I might redo this setup and hook up my 4090 to a CRT.  Would that do it?

crts are respected these days so no.

bvm are better but also cost $$$

a good monitor with a crt for retro is a good combo

i dont realy care for a laptop desktop build but 🤷‍♂️

if its a manically keyboard thow were sold after... some times better then today stuff...

if its a mouse with a ball then ya that thing sucks balls but cool to look at thow

so cursed build not really.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

11 minutes ago, da na said:

makima_bulbs.jpg.3bcda74988a316c2eb30e046ea1e60dd.jpg

Apply the same to backlights.

OLED has better colours but the burn-in issue.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Cursed setups?

this was my pc at one point

a sempron 3850 and gt 710 glued to a sheet of MDF I found outside 

IMG_2373.thumb.jpeg.4bf3e352a89ec1aad3c59e888027b83d.jpeg

There are already threads for setups 

And retro setups 

So there's no need for extra. But since the discussion isn't photo-based, this can remain open. For now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/8/2024 at 8:57 PM, APCNewbie209 said:

Here me out.  This is both an old school and technically modern setup.  However.  This is exceptionally cursed.  Thus, I think we should add a cursed build.  And before you ask.  

Nah.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:57 PM, APCNewbie209 said:

Anyways.  Here's my setup.  On a scale from 1/10 what y'all give it?

markup_1000000432.jpg

The only thing out of place there is the mouse which looks like it came from the 80's.

Here let me describe the most cursed thing I ever built.

I built a 486sx inside a XT case that I had to take a sheet metal cutter to fit it. Basically things were secured with duct tape inside.

The next cursed thing I built was a 386 with every ISA slot filled.