(cursed setup rig showcase) Can We Put A Cursed Category For Setups?

Here me out.  This is both an old school and technically modern setup.  However.  This is exceptionally cursed.  Thus, I think we should add a cursed build.  And before you ask.  

Yes.  I tried to play siege like this.  

And yes.  I did legitimately daily drove this until I got a 4090 rig.  Just thought I'd put this here because I can't tell if this is a modern or old school thread post.  But mods feel free to change that and please add a cursed listing for builds/setups.

Anyways.  Here's my setup.  On a scale from 1/10 what y'all give it?

markup_1000000432.jpg

I honestly don't see what's cursed about that. Is it just the old kb+m?

I guess this qualifies for a regular post on the "show your build" thread.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

I thought the PS2 to USB A to a model M keyboard and hooked up to a laptop would do it but I guess it's not as cursed as my discord buds said but fair enough.  I thought the model m would make it technically both but I do think we need a cursed thread here for just henious setups.

I have a model M too so I can't give it a 1/10 just like that, the PS/2 to USB adapter is fine as that's a laptop, but I wouldn't like it if it was a desktop. The mouse... I dunno, it's fine to show off but it's not something that'd be comfy to daily drive, the lack of a scroll wheel being its biggest issue.

Certainly not a fan of LED monitors, it just looks bad paired with the keyboard.

And what's with the horizontal light switches... installed where the sockets go? but they're classic so that adds like half a point.

I'd give it 4 out of 10 for the effort.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

4 minutes ago, igormp said:

I might redo this setup and hook up my 4090 to a CRT.  Would that do it?

Just now, Caroline said:

I have a model M too so I can't give it a 1/10 just like that, the PS/2 to USB adapter is fine as that's a laptop, but I wouldn't like it if it was a desktop. The mouse... I dunno, it's fine to show off but it's not something that'd be comfy to daily drive, the lack of a scroll wheel being its biggest issue.

Certainly not a fan of LED monitors, it just looks bad paired with the keyboard.

And what's with the horizontal light switches... installed where the sockets go? but they're classic so that adds like half a point.

Side note.  When I had this 2 years ago it was ALL I had.  Just to be clear.  I'm not using this now.  But I think there's something wrong with using something like a model M keyboard on a laptop with a PS2 port adapter.  That just feels so wrong.  But it was really funny to do.

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Btw.  I have a whole original 1980 IBM machine sitting in my closet.  CRT, keyboard, the whole none yards.  It's like an 8503-001 or something like that.

Just now, da na said:

IMO a "cursed setup" is more along the lines of connecting a graphics card to a satellite radio receiver and running Windows on it. Just a keyboard with some adapters isn't quite outlandish on its own

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.5de2ed22f024bbda49f79e36de44c427.png

image.thumb.png.5449f472085025c6df7eb9ab7891e8a3.png

I could theoretically hook up my CRT to the laptop.  Or would a 4090 be funnier?  I'm trying to think of henious ideas I could do for a setup like my old one when I literally had just those things to work with for like 5 months or so.  Any ideas on how to push this more into the realm of "oh God what have you done?" As someone who's only used to modern hardware.  Seeing a PS/2 to USB adapter is an unholy amount of wrong to me but that's just because I'm used to modern tech now 

6 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

I could theoretically hook up my CRT to the laptop.  Or would a 4090 be funnier?  I'm trying to think of henious ideas I could do for a setup like my old one when I literally had just those things to work with for like 5 months or so.  Any ideas on how to push this more into the realm of "oh God what have you done?" As someone who's only used to modern hardware.  Seeing a PS/2 to USB adapter is an unholy amount of wrong to me but that's just because I'm used to modern tech now 

Take the laptop out of its case and nail the motherboard to the wall through the screwholes.

This bullshit was my computer for a few years

image.thumb.png.4981f0ca3e5e308807754584ad238074.png

1 minute ago, da na said:

Take the laptop out of its case and nail the motherboard to the wall through the screwholes.

People do that.

Y'all are kidding right?  I don't even know where the old laptop is but I got a ton of old junk in my closet.  If I find it I'll see about that and maybe hooking that up to the 4090 just for memes.  I wanna bottleneck the hell out of that laptop for all its put me throufh.  I have another old laptop/hybrid desktop docking stations for some Windows XP/Vista laptop my grandpa used to file taxes on.  Love old junk like that.  Turns out it's from like the early 90s or early 2000s.  Like early early 2000s.  Never seen a laptop with a docking station before it even had a printer port!  It's so weird to me.

Hooking up a CRT would not be cursed. Mine is far better than the craptastic monitors available in my country, it'd be a downgrade to replace it for a LED where black is a sad grey and everything is opaque, yes, they're that bad, I have to bear with those at work.

This bad boy hits 95Hz, compared to the ghosted 60 of LEDs I'd say it's not worth to replace it. The only downside is having to use a signal converter, but it's hidden behind the case so not a big deal.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

5 minutes ago, da na said:

This bullshit was my computer for a few years

image.thumb.png.4981f0ca3e5e308807754584ad238074.png

That's horrible but I respect the grindset. My laptop cost me $2k which now realizing it, was a total rip.  1650 GTX Nvidia mobile GPU.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Hooking up a CRT would not be cursed. Mine is far better than the craptastic monitors available in my country, it'd be a downgrade to replace it for a LED where black is a sad grey and everything is opaque, yes, they're that bad, I have to bear with those at work.

This bad boy hits 95Hz, compared to the ghosted 60 of LEDs I'd say it's not worth to replace it. The only downside is having to use a signal converter, but it's hidden behind the case so not a big deal.

Very true.

Once you use a really good CRT or hell, even a CCFL, you'll never want to go back to LED

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

What's cursed is I have a new 4K LG C3 Evo OLED 48" TV now in place of that LCD panel.  But it would be funny to just have the wires all go to the CRT instead.  Having a TV that expensive next to a CRT and the CRT is the primary display would be funny AF!

Very true.

Once you use a really good CRT or hell, even a CCFL, you'll never want to go back to LED

I have an LG C3 48" Evo oled now.  But for retro games I could hook up the CRT to the 4090.  I'm serious about that.

Just now, APCNewbie209 said:

What's cursed is I have a new 4K LG C3 Evo OLED 48" TV now in place of that LCD panel.  But it would be funny to just have the wires all go to the CRT instead.  Having a TV that expensive next to a CRT and the CRT is the primary display would be funny AF!

It'd be a little cursed if you had a really crappy display next to an excellent one. The good one being the CRT of course

1 minute ago, APCNewbie209 said:

I have an LG C3 48" Evo oled now.  But for retro games I could hook up the CRT to the 4090.  I'm serious about that.

Graphics cards often have video outputs, and often monitors have video inputs as well. Sometimes they plug into each other, I've heard

2 minutes ago, da na said:

Very true.

What else am I gonna use 3 DPs for other than hooking it up to random bs.  4090 to the CRT I guess I'm gonna try and do that.  I'll let you know how it goes once my motherboard returns from RMA.  Chipset driver install crashed cooking my MB so I'm 4090less for a week or so.

5 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

I have another old laptop/hybrid desktop docking stations for some Windows XP/Vista laptop my grandpa used to file taxes on.  Love old junk like that.  Turns out it's from like the early 90s or early 2000s.  Like early early 2000s.  Never seen a laptop with a docking station before it even had a printer port!  It's so weird to me.

Ah docking stations my beloved. Is it one of the docking stations with IDE passthrough? 

Dell made some weird docking stations for the XPS laptops (M1710 in particular) that connected PCIe lanes on the docking station to the laptop, and you could actually run SLI with a graphics card on the docking station + one in the laptop

It'd be a little cursed if you had a really crappy display next to an excellent one. The good one being the CRT of course

Dual monitor setup.  CRT + 48" flat screen.  I could use the CRT for reading chat.  And retro emulation.  

1 minute ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Chipset driver install crashed cooking my MB so I'm 4090less for a week or so.

Ooh, ouch. One of those MSI motherboards or whatever that has the broken chipsets? Or did the driver really crash that hard

2 minutes ago, da na said:

Graphics cards often have video outputs, and often monitors have video inputs as well. Sometimes they plug into each other, I've heard

Can't I just do DP to VGA 15 pin?

Just now, da na said:

Ooh, ouch. One of those MSI motherboards or whatever that has the broken chipsets? Or did the driver really crash that hard

Nah armor crate Asus update..  it was a z790 dark hero.  I literally cried.  

Just now, APCNewbie209 said:

Can't I just do DP to VGA 15 pin?

Yep, should work fine. Unless the CRT is CGA or monochrome. You'd then need a little more converting or you could wire up some analog circuitry yourself if you're up for the task.