Looking for WiFi 7 APs that are compatible with DIY routers and are able to roaming

I’m planning on building a DIY router with 2-3 APs.  I haven’t decided if I should use OpenWRT or pfSense or something else (would love to hear your inputs on that).

If I want it to have mesh roaming capabilites, what are the things I need to keep in mind?  Would I be able to use any APs, or would I need to use one from the same brand/model?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I went with Ubiquiti and haven’t looked back. Very good equipment for my home needs. I love the POE cameras but I don’t like how often they change their app functionality.

2 hours ago, johnt said:

I went with Ubiquiti and haven’t looked back. Very good equipment for my home needs. I love the POE cameras but I don’t like how often they change their app functionality.

which one's functioning as a router?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

Mobile devices

4 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

which one's functioning as a router?

You need a “Cloud” labeled device from them to function as a router if you want that route. 

But you can download UniFi network server directly from them onto a PC and use it as the router/gateway. You would need a switch or a NIC because your PC would need an input and an output. This is the DIY approach. You can find APs on Amazon, Craigslist, FB marketplace. It’s free so I toyed with it for a while before purchasing all my gear. 

8 minutes ago, johnt said:

You need a “Cloud” labeled device from them to function as a router if you want that route. 

But you can download UniFi network server directly from them onto a PC and use it as the router/gateway. You would need a switch or a NIC because your PC would need an input and an output. This is the DIY approach. You can find APs on Amazon, Craigslist, FB marketplace. It’s free so I toyed with it for a while before purchasing all my gear. 

Oh! I think I'm seeing the picture, and I'm starting to think that I was misunderstanding something fundamental.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ability to roam won't be in the router's OS, but in the APs themselves?  And to manage the AP's WiFi capabilities, it'll be done on a separate network server/software that's built for that specific AP?

So this means that if I want a seamless roam, it'll be based on the APs I purchase?

Desktop

Mobile devices

6 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Oh! I think I'm seeing the picture, and I'm starting to think that I was misunderstanding something fundamental.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ability to roam won't be in the router's OS, but in the APs themselves?  And to manage the AP's WiFi capabilities, it'll be done on a separate network server/software that's built for that specific AP?

So this means that if I want a seamless roam, it'll be based on the APs I purchase?

Sorry I think I confused you. You need both 1) an operating system that can support mesh or roaming (they are different), and 2) the APs are separate in the UniFi ecosystem so they just do what the OS tells it to. Also, you need a device that can handle mesh or roaming, like a phone with a modern OS. 

The UniFi network server is the OS that will use the APs to enable mesh or roaming. It can do either or both at the same time. The APs are just antennas placed in different places to give you the best or continuous signal. I’ve found roaming is a lot better. 

Mesh basically uses APs in WiFi mode to extend your network reach. The overall throughput is reduced. The farthest AP uses the closer APs to communicate. Roaming uses the APs separately, so each one connects directly to the OS server, and the device (like a phone) will figure out which AP is providing the strongest signal, and connect to that one. Newer devices seamlessly roam between APs.