Upgrading PC and Considering AIO (First Timer)

Hello, I'm running a Ryzen 5 3600 (6 Core), 16 GB RAM and an ancient 760 GTX (long story on that one). I'm planning some upgrades that include a 4070 RTX, increasing to 64 GB RAM (will be developing personal projects), and a new case My overclocking days are over for now and my main priority is keeping my PC as quiet as possible.

I'm planning on the 4070 TUF Super (link) as it is among the quieter GPUs according to the interwebs. I had an Antec P series case for long time that I loved that was ultra quiet and well built. Currently I have a Nanoxia case that I've been less than thrilled with. It's decently quiet but feels poorly built hence why I'm looking for a new case. I'm willing to spend money on a good case due to the longevity across multiple builds. For the case I'm sold on the Corsair 2500D (link). I've never had a flashy case like this before and I quite like the style and am interested in getting some RGB going for the first time. I'd likely get the Air Flow edition. 

So this brings me to the AIO. I've never used one before. What I'd like to know is:

• How are they in use and do they require much maintenance?
  • Considering my CPU (but also thinking about a future CPU upgrade in a couple years) am I going to get a quieter system vs. air cooling?
    • Right now I have a Noctua D-15 (link) with one fan and it remains off until I hit a certain CPU temp threshold.
  • I've seen some kits (I saw Corsair has them) that look like you can add liquid cooling to the GPU. That would be awesome and could make getting an AIO worth it I think.
    • Would this bring a meaningful drop in my system noise by adding liquid cooling to my GPU?

Another thing I suppose is, if I go with an AIO, what should I plan for my case fans? Do I even need an intake fan since the AIO has them? I assume I wouldn't need any exhaust fans and probably add a fan at the bottom to blow onto the GPU. 

12 minutes ago, superbrett2000 said:

do they require much maintenance?

For sealed unit, the maintenance that wont void your warranty is "throwing it away". You can cut open the tubes and try to refill it but its honestly not worth the hassle for most as usually when the coolant goes bad the pump will follow too sooner or later.

For unsealed unit with a fill port, its just drain and fill like a normal loop, remember to add computer specific biocide/coolant concentrate into your cooling fluid. These are harder to find though and their performance compared to sealed counterparts are mixed.

25 minutes ago, superbrett2000 said:

am I going to get a quieter system

Short answer is "it depends". But in your case, absolutely not. Id consider 2 fan operations on the D-15 again because really that thing is still the best air coolers alive right now, with the matches being purely on value like with Thermalright Peerless Assassin, Scythe Fuma 3, and Deepcool AK/AG620. And quiet goal can be gained pretty easily by keeping the fan at the same speed for the operating temperature and only ramp up at a really high temps. Basically, fan curve wins in terms of gaining quietness for free.

28 minutes ago, superbrett2000 said:

That would be awesome

Overall liquid cooling loops are not worth while whether its a prebuilt kit or a handbuilt from scratch. Its high maintenance, a single leak can cause catastrophic electrical failure, you need to change or top up the coolant every year (or even less if youre going for an opaque suspension based coolant), and you basically need to make sure and i really mean make sure that everything is compatible to the dot because if not you will get thermal and fitment issue. And as another not-fun bonus, you will void your warranty.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

9 hours ago, superbrett2000 said:

So this brings me to the AIO. I've never used one before. What I'd like to know is:

• How are they in use and do they require much maintenance?
  • Considering my CPU (but also thinking about a future CPU upgrade in a couple years) am I going to get a quieter system vs. air cooling?
    • Right now I have a Noctua D-15 (link) with one fan and it remains off until I hit a certain CPU temp threshold.
  • I've seen some kits (I saw Corsair has them) that look like you can add liquid cooling to the GPU. That would be awesome and could make getting an AIO worth it I think.
    • Would this bring a meaningful drop in my system noise by adding liquid cooling to my GPU?

• AIO require very little maintenance after installation. Clearing accumulated dust from the radiator every few years, depending on the environment, is all that is needed.
  • NH-D15 will easily cope with all but the top Intel and AMD desktop CPU. 360 / 420 AIO can offer quieter operation with high CPU loads.
  • A completely liquid cooled system can be very quiet. But custom loops are expensive and require regular maintenance.
9 hours ago, superbrett2000 said:

Another thing I suppose is, if I go with an AIO, what should I plan for my case fans? Do I even need an intake fan since the AIO has them? I assume I wouldn't need any exhaust fans and probably add a fan at the bottom to blow onto the GPU. 

You need both intake and exhaust fans. If a CPU AIO is front mounted you will want at least one exhaust fan. If the AIO is top mounted you will want at least a couple of front intake fans.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks all. My big take away is I'm best going keeping the Noctua cooler since it'll be quieter for most of my usage. Otherwise I wouldn't be against an AIO unit they sound straightforward and reliable enough.

How would throwing a Core i9 12900k or maybe an i9 13900k into the mix change things? At that point if I'm running games like Flight Sim will the AIO deliver lower noise or enough cooling with a reasonable amount of noise? If I go with the i9 it'll be in a mitx build (Corsair iCUE 2000D is what I'm leaning towards). I'm fine with the limited upgrade path and reclaiming the desk space will be worth now that I have a giant work PC moving in.