Underwear 3-pack - Am I really an XL?

Go to solution Solved by DadT3ch,

I'm 5'10" and about 180lbs with a skinny/pudgy Dad build.  I traditionally buy size medium underwear; mostly Hanes and Kirkland boxer briefs.  I also usually buy 33-34 inch waist pants.  I managed to snag the half off deal this past holiday season and I went with the size L due to the most recent sizing recommendations.  New out of the package the L fit good but there was an ever so slight gap around the waist, less than a pinky finger.  Once they went through a wash/dry cycle they fit perfectly.  Not as snug as my other garments but I was already teetering on the sizing threshold for mediums in Hanes and Kirkland.

I'm very happy with them so far.  Sizing, feel, pattern, all amazing. Not 50 dollars + shipping for 3 amazing but thats what holiday sales are for and I will absolutely be buying more this year if they go BOGO for 50% off again.

So, I bought the first gen underwear many years ago and they are size medium (a bit snug after washing) and I'm considering buying more but the product page and reviews:

https://www.lttstore.com/products/mens-underwear-3-pack-green-purple-black?_pos=6&_fid=4dcd17cea&_ss=c

say to pay very close attention to the new sizing and guide.  I'm about 5'9 180 (although I plan on losing 10-15lbs this spring), and measured my waist where my underwear actually sits and it's 38 inches.

Should I really get the XL?

48 minutes ago, uno99 said:

So, I bought the first gen underwear many years ago and they are size medium (a bit snug after washing) and I'm considering buying more but the product page and reviews:

https://www.lttstore.com/products/mens-underwear-3-pack-green-purple-black?_pos=6&_fid=4dcd17cea&_ss=c

say to pay very close attention to the new sizing and guide.  I'm about 5'9 180 (although I plan on losing 10-15lbs this spring), and measured my waist where my underwear actually sits and it's 38 inches.

Seems so. These are more form fitting boxers from what I see in the pics so the safest bet after your measurements would be to opt for the xl. Eventually they'll shrink a tiny bit from washing which would mean they'll keep decently form shaped after you lose the planned weight.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Seems so. These are more form fitting boxers from what I see in the pics so the safest bet after your measurements would be to opt for the xl. Eventually they'll shrink a tiny bit from washing which would mean they'll keep decently form shaped after you lose the planned weight.

I know but I really don't trust than I'm an XL and a M in everything else... Hopefully someone who's bought recently will chime in to be sure! I'm betting there's no exchange or refund on these items (for good reason)

1 minute ago, uno99 said:

I know but I really don't trust than I'm an XL and a M in everything else... Hopefully someone who's bought recently will chime in to be sure! I'm betting there's no exchange or refund on these items (for good reason)

I have stopped caring about sizes and just fit clothes.

According to that I am a S M L XL 2XL 😛

I literally have form fitting xl shirts and then baggy s sized shirts. Its wack.

Or like with pants I'm usually between 30-32 but somehow a 27 slim fit is loose and I have a tight 36 regular fits.

These sizes are wack.

What I assume is happening is that they are following an asian standard of the sizes which is a lot smaller. Hence why I have some 2xl japanese merch that fits me well but isnt loose.

20 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I have stopped caring about sizes and just fit clothes.

According to that I am a S M L XL 2XL 😛

I literally have form fitting xl shirts and then baggy s sized shirts. Its wack.

Or like with pants I'm usually between 30-32 but somehow a 27 slim fit is loose and I have a tight 36 regular fits.

These sizes are wack.

What I assume is happening is that they are following an asian standard of the sizes which is a lot smaller. Hence why I have some 2xl japanese merch that fits me well but isnt loose.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Asian sizing, just never experienced it with the boys down under before 😄

I have the L and am 5'9" 200lb and theyre almost too big.  Definitely do not get xl.  The underwear seems to run big 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On 4/2/2024 at 11:31 PM, uno99 said:

I mean that puts you in overweight. Not sure why you expect to be a medium.

6 hours ago, Neroon said:

I mean that puts you in overweight.

No, that just means you are small and weak.

I do agree that 180 is not a medium though.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 4/5/2024 at 1:27 PM, Yoinkerman said:

I have the L and am 5'9" 200lb and theyre almost too big.  Definitely do not get xl.  The underwear seems to run big 

Damn so confused now, I'm gonna have to contact customer service before ordering. Sounds like I'd wanna order Medium yet the size chart says XL.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:41 AM, Neroon said:

I mean that puts you in overweight. Not sure why you expect to be a medium.

I don't expect anything, I don't care one bit what the tag says on any article of clothing, I just want underwear that fits and not have to go through the hassle of returning. If I gotta order a XXXL size then so be it!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, uno99 said:

Damn so confused now, I'm gonna have to contact customer service before ordering. Sounds like I'd wanna order Medium yet the size chart says XL.

Edit: Nvm, posted redundant information, the OP already knows about.

Edited by Alex T88
Added a correction.

18 hours ago, uno99 said:

I don't expect anything, I don't care one bit what the tag says on any article of clothing, I just want underwear that fits and not have to go through the hassle of returning. If I gotta order a XXXL size then so be it!

I get that, but you said you don't believe you're an XL because you're an M in everything else. That doesn't make sense though because if you fit an M while overweight, that sizing is way off.

Sizing in general is a clusterfuck, and terms like S, M, L etc are stupid anyway, because they are completely meaningless, but with your weight, you should generally have L/XL, and M should basically never fit, M should be like midrange of a healthy size.

I'm 5'10" and about 180lbs with a skinny/pudgy Dad build.  I traditionally buy size medium underwear; mostly Hanes and Kirkland boxer briefs.  I also usually buy 33-34 inch waist pants.  I managed to snag the half off deal this past holiday season and I went with the size L due to the most recent sizing recommendations.  New out of the package the L fit good but there was an ever so slight gap around the waist, less than a pinky finger.  Once they went through a wash/dry cycle they fit perfectly.  Not as snug as my other garments but I was already teetering on the sizing threshold for mediums in Hanes and Kirkland.

I'm very happy with them so far.  Sizing, feel, pattern, all amazing. Not 50 dollars + shipping for 3 amazing but thats what holiday sales are for and I will absolutely be buying more this year if they go BOGO for 50% off again.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:46 AM, DadT3ch said:

Perfect answer thanks!!!