7950X3D is broken AF

I do belive this is why jays 2 cents went back to intel

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

5 hours ago, Plermpel said:

I think so too, but it's definitely EXPO RAM.

The super odd thing is that it just happens if I change ANYTHING in the BIOS, for example, I was just tinkering again and if I load BIOS defaults, the system will at least run almost everytime, now I did just change the fan curves, saved the settings and it started to fail again!

It looks like ASUS is only applying standart timings with the optimized defaults, as soon as you save the BIOS settings a second time it will start to mess around with some stuff that is set to auto.

The UEFI might be defaulted to apply XMP/EXPO settings if its not in default, I wouldn't be surprised if Asus started doing that with their 'AI overclocking' features. There's various issues that XMP/EXPO profiles can cause too, like adjusting the SoC and/or MCLK voltages incorrectly, its a whole rabbit hole of potential issues.

I've had good luck with the two Ryzen 7000 series systems I own, both kits I bought were proper EXPO kits, both 2x16GB 6000MT/sec kits, one G.skill with 30-38-38-96 and one Corsair with 36-36-36-76.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

23 hours ago, Agall said:

one Corsair with 36-36-36-76.

You most likely have the same kit than, or maybe dominator or nun RGB with the same chips, could you tell me the exact timings your BIOS went for and relevant voltages VDDIO, VDDP, SOC and so on...

EDIT.: Nope, my bad, I've 30-36-36-76, still would be interesting

Also I just found out something quite interesting, Memory frequency is set to 3000MHz and BIOS and HWInfo also shows that, but CPU-Z reads that the memory frequency is fluctuating between 2800-2950MHz. Is that normal?

1 hour ago, Plermpel said:

You most likely have the same kit than, or maybe dominator or nun RGB with the same chips, could you tell me the exact timings your BIOS went for and relevant voltages VDDIO, VDDP, SOC and so on...

EDIT.: Nope, my bad, I've 30-36-36-76, still would be interesting

Also I just found out something quite interesting, Memory frequency is set to 3000MHz and BIOS and HWInfo also shows that, but CPU-Z reads that the memory frequency is fluctuating between 2800-2950MHz. Is that normal?

MCLK and UCLK shouldn't fluctuate, at least I don't believe it does. That should be operating at 3000MHz with a 6000MT/sec kit. If your base clock is fluctuating, which would be the way to 'overclock' a 7950x3D to circumvent a multiplier lock, then that would affect the memory's bus. The CPU and memory controllers use the base clock with respective multipliers.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I Believe ASUS and Corsair memory has been known to be problematic.

I'm on an MSI board and G.Skill (XMP) memory. Even at 6400MT/s, no issues at all here on my rig. (7950X3D) MCR is on, Power Down enabled, tighter tertiary timings selected in BIOS.

So a quick update, the new Ram didn't change anything, It would be really helpfull, if someone with a working ASUS + 7950X3D + EXPO Setup could post his full BIOS settings, with voltages and everything.

26 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

So a quick update, the new Ram didn't change anything, It would be really helpfull, if someone with a working ASUS + 7950X3D + EXPO Setup could post his full BIOS settings, with voltages and everything.

Bro go watch jays 2 cents personal build with a 7950x3d with a asus board

its just broken af

swap the board to a known working combination 

Jay had to run ddr5 at 4800 with 2 sticks or the whole thing went to shit, he has a mini series on all the problems and everything g he tried 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Even if, the board is broken af. There still must be a way o set everything manully to known working values.

22 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Even if, the board is broken af. There still must be a way o set everything manully to known working values.

If there was wouldn’t Asus do it in a bios update ?

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

That con not really be the case. For exaple there is a video from corsair germany where der 8auer build a system very similar to mine and he didn't had any issues at all. Also in his video Memclock and Uncore does not fluctuate as mine, but I just can't find out what's the reason for that.

Bild

11 hours ago, Plermpel said:

That con not really be the case. For exaple there is a video from corsair germany where der 8auer build a system very similar to mine and he didn't had any issues at all. Also in his video Memclock and Uncore does not fluctuate as mine, but I just can't find out what's the reason for that.

Bild

I'll tell you not to have expectations of what it's going to do or not do strictly based on what der8auer has achieved.

Remember he's a pro at tweaking stuff so naturally if he spots a problem, he can probrably get it to work. He also gets samples from various hardware vendors to mess around with because that's part of what he does and frankly, has been doing for years now.

I'm one of those guys myself but I'm not "Connected" (Sponsored) like he and others are in that way so I have to buy my own hardware and work it out (Have an idea about it) for myself when I do run into a problem but at least I can do it based on what symptoms I see about it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 4/13/2024 at 9:38 PM, Beerzerker said:

but at least I can do it based on what symptoms I see about it.

Yes me too, but this time, it just doesn't make sense