Want a processor or GPU upgrade.. (Used or new)

Current SPECS: Ryzen 5 3600, 6600XT, 32GB 3200MHz, Aorus Elite B450M, XPG Pylon 650

Budget (including currency): 100-150 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V, RUST, RDR2, AC Valhalla & I do 4K video editing too (mostly large projects). Plus I'm learning UE5 on this machine.

With that budget, I'm sorry to say you are not really getting anything much better than what you currently have. Save up and wait.

GTA5 should run with no issues with those specs. Pretty sure the same goes for the rest.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

15 minutes ago, u55ama said:

Current SPECS: Ryzen 5 3600, 6600XT, 32GB 3200MHz, Aorus Elite B450M, XPG Pylon 650

Budget (including currency): 100-150 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V, RUST, RDR2, AC Valhalla & I do 4K video editing too (mostly large projects). Plus I'm learning UE5 on this machine.

You can get a RYZEN 5600...

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

With that budget, I'm sorry to say you are not really getting anything much better than what you currently have. Save up and wait.

GTA5 should run with no issues with those specs. Pretty sure the same goes for the rest.

GTA still runs around 100 avg fps bro with ultra settings. Plus I just want a single thing, either a cpu swap or gpu. Getting a good deal for both of them. Just let me know what would benefit me the most.

Just now, BoomerL4D said:

You can get a RYZEN 5600...

I already have an exchange offer for it. My 3600 + 75usd for a 5600X

6 minutes ago, u55ama said:

waste of money

just overclock that 3600 to 4.4-4.6ghz and save up for a used 5800x3d or new 5700x3d

11 minutes ago, u55ama said:

that's a decent upgrade.  I'd consider that myself.

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

waste of money

just overclock that 3600 to 4.4-4.6ghz and save up for a used 5800x3d or new 5700x3d

He is from Pakistan and the market is limited.  Finding used 5800X3D's in Pakistan will be a lot harder than in the US for example.

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

He is from Pakistan and the market is limited.  Finding used 5800X3D's in Pakistan will be a lot harder than in the US for example.

I got an offer for 5800X for about 200usd. I might increase my budget too but the point is that i don't want 6600xt to be a bottleneck then.

4 minutes ago, u55ama said:

I got an offer for 5800X for about 200usd. I might increase my budget too but the point is that i don't want 6600xt to be a bottleneck then.

Of course.  There will always be a bottleneck somewhere 🙂  The 5800x is faster than the 3600 for sure  but I think you would gain more from putting in a faster GPU than swapping CPU's.

This obviously depends on what GPU you can get for 150-200usd that is significantly faster than a 6600XT.

And I don't really think there is one, unless you get a damn good deal on a used card.

Mabybe the CPU upgrade is your best bet here afterall.

With a 5800x you can save up for a faster GPU later without worrying too much about CPU bottleneck in the future.

6 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Of course.  There will always be a bottleneck somewhere 🙂  The 5800x is faster than the 3600 for sure  but I think you would gain more from putting in a faster GPU than swapping CPU's.

This obviously depends on what GPU you can get for 150-200usd that is significantly faster than a 6600XT.

And I don't really think there is one, unless you get a damn good deal on a used card.

Mabybe the CPU upgrade is your best bet here afterall.

With a 5800x you can save up for a faster GPU later without worrying too much about CPU bottleneck in the future.

What's your call on 3070Ti? Is it worth over 6600xt when paired with ryzen 3600?

This is daft but i say this all the time.  get in your most demanding game and turn all your graphical settings down.  Resolution, textures, shadows.  Turn all your CPU settings up.  Crowd density, geometry detail, vegetation detail.  Then run the game for about half an hour.  That will tell you how many draw calls your CPU can handle.  If you think you're getting enough FPS at these settings? Get a GPU.  If it's a little on the low side? Get a CPU.  Like @Hinjima says, there will always be one limiting factor.  Turning your settings down to test the CPU limit is one way of finding out which one you want to be limited by

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

21 hours ago, u55ama said:

Worth it.... doubles the L3 cache, so that's worth 20% in some games.... plus the memory controlled is better in the 5000 series, so you might be able to tune your VRAM.

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

⚠️ UPDATE:

so i went a bit over my budget and bought an ASUS TUF 3070Ti as well as a Ryzen 7 5800X.

The problem now is that my CPU temps are 90 degrees while gaming. Although I have an 240mm AIO but isn’t 90 degree too hot to damage my motherboard?

P.S I even got a XPG Core Reactor II Gold 750 too! So I kinda destroyed my budget lol

I'm assuming the CPU is okay - it's pretty tough to break an AM4 CPU other than really reckless overclocking or bending the pins.

B450's support 5800X CPU's once updated, but do you have the latest BIOS update? Maybe not worth a reset if the previous CPU was all stock, but I'd consider that if it is drawing too much power; maybe worth running HWMon* and checking how much power it is drawing, I think that CPU is "105W", but some motherboards push them to 120W without any meddling from the user and overclocked, they'll go WAY higher.  

*after it starts, reset the counters - I don't place too much faith the "min"/"max" values until after that - launching the software or the PC goign to sleep really seems to break that!

If all the above seems in line with expectations (BIOS updated, no funky overclock and Power draw around 120W max), then I'm guessing there must be something wrong with that AIO, which one one is it?!? Either something wrong with it or badly fitted.

The comparison with mine won't be easy as I am running a 280mm* AIO, but also 5900X (also technically a 105W CPU, but 12 cores)... and mine is overclocked from 4.7 to 5Ghz (all core) draws around 180W when it gets hot and will push around 80C after 15mins of 12-core stress test.

*similar heat-soak capacity to a 240mm, but 140mm fans generate a LOT more airflow than 120mm.

Under gaming, it normally maxes out around 70C, but that is partly because I have the fans set to 300rpm until it gets over 60C.... general desktop use, it is usually around 45C, even with 300rpm fans.

If I put it on stock 4.7Ghz 12 core boost and set the fan profile to spin up earlier, it probably won't go over 60C under gaming.

It's really strange that you're getting that hot during gaming: bear in mind that most games only use 4 to 6 cores and in games with higher graphics settings, it will be more likely to be GPU-limited, so the CPU won't even be doing that much!

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:24 AM, BahnStormer said:

I'm assuming the CPU is okay - it's pretty tough to break an AM4 CPU other than really reckless overclocking or bending the pins.

B450's support 5800X CPU's once updated, but do you have the latest BIOS update? Maybe not worth a reset if the previous CPU was all stock, but I'd consider that if it is drawing too much power; maybe worth running HWMon* and checking how much power it is drawing, I think that CPU is "105W", but some motherboards push them to 120W without any meddling from the user and overclocked, they'll go WAY higher.  

*after it starts, reset the counters - I don't place too much faith the "min"/"max" values until after that - launching the software or the PC goign to sleep really seems to break that!

If all the above seems in line with expectations (BIOS updated, no funky overclock and Power draw around 120W max), then I'm guessing there must be something wrong with that AIO, which one one is it?!? Either something wrong with it or badly fitted.

The comparison with mine won't be easy as I am running a 280mm* AIO, but also 5900X (also technically a 105W CPU, but 12 cores)... and mine is overclocked from 4.7 to 5Ghz (all core) draws around 180W when it gets hot and will push around 80C after 15mins of 12-core stress test.

*similar heat-soak capacity to a 240mm, but 140mm fans generate a LOT more airflow than 120mm.

Under gaming, it normally maxes out around 70C, but that is partly because I have the fans set to 300rpm until it gets over 60C.... general desktop use, it is usually around 45C, even with 300rpm fans.

If I put it on stock 4.7Ghz 12 core boost and set the fan profile to spin up earlier, it probably won't go over 60C under gaming.

It's really strange that you're getting that hot during gaming: bear in mind that most games only use 4 to 6 cores and in games with higher graphics settings, it will be more likely to be GPU-limited, so the CPU won't even be doing that much!

Okay so i took some ss.

1-There's no overclocking applied.
2-BIOS was updated on the motherboard to run this 5800X. I think the BIOS version is F66 the only thing enabled from BIOS is XMP support to run my corsair vengeance rgb pro @ 3200mhz.
3-I know nothing about the power usage and voltages, thus showing them as ss with idle screen and running AC Valhalla on Maximum settings 1080p without FSR.
4-I've been using 240mm AIO with the previous 3600 processor. I know that doesn't is a low power processor than this one but this AIO was able to keep it under 70 with mac load (no OC, i never do OC).

In my guess, its either not proper fitting of AIO or the thing you said about power usage and 120W draw of some mobos (maybe)

IDLE.jpg

With Game.jpg

MSI AfterBurner.jpg

screengrabs show you had 120W peak and 91C.... best guess would now be AIO fitment:
Did you clean and re-paste?

Is it under-pasted / over-pasted?

Is it screwed down evenly (over/under tightening can cause problems).

Any idea which brand AIO? Some are better and getting a good fitment, while others are really difficult. 

9 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

screengrabs show you had 120W peak and 91C.... best guess would now be AIO fitment:

Any idea which brand AIO? Some are better and getting a good fitment, while others are really difficult. 

So is the 120W okay for it? As you said 105W is the TDP for 5800X

About the AIO, I'm reusing the one that I used with my 3600. DarkFlash Symphony TR240 AIO 240mm, it's a cheap one but was able to keep 3600 under 70-75.
I did clean and repasted a new thermal paste, a normal one. Not Thermal Grizzly or an Arctic MX. It's pasted perfectly to me, not too much not too less and the screws are perfectly intact. It only has 2 screw mounting points. 

If it's really the AIO, recommend what should I get, already spent a lot more than what I budgeted for. These are some options, you can suggest some too, I'll look for them.
DEEPCOOL INFINITY SERIES LT720 360mm Liquid Cooler,
ASUS TUF Gaming LC II 360 ARGB Liquid CPU Cooler
ASUS ROG Strix LC II 240 ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler,
LIAN LI GALAHAD 240 RGB CLOSED LOOP ALL-IN-ONE BLACK

btw, thanks for the responses man! Appreciate it.

10 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

Additional:
Showing you my current AIO configuration as well. Can't install the AIO on top because I have this FSP CMT510 case.
3 120mm front intake fans (2 for radiator, one extra) and 2 120mm exhaust fans (one on top, one at the back)

WhatsAppImage2024-04-13at07_25.28_b588bace.thumb.jpg.2f0ec092d4ea024030c787732b64754b.jpg

1 hour ago, u55ama said:

Additional:
Showing you my current AIO configuration as well. Can't install the AIO on top because I have this FSP CMT510 case.
3 120mm front intake fans (2 for radiator, one extra) and 2 120mm exhaust fans (one on top, one at the back)

WhatsAppImage2024-04-13at07_25.28_b588bace.thumb.jpg.2f0ec092d4ea024030c787732b64754b.jpg

Replaced aio fans with case fans?

No shit its performing like crap cause the aio cant even dissipate the heat due to rubbish fans that cant push air through the radiator

57 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Replaced aio fans with case fans?

No shit its performing like crap cause the aio cant even dissipate the heat due to rubbish fans that cant push air through the radiator

i wanted to keep similar fans together. Will getting 5 similar good rated fans help? or AIO replacement is a must?

4 hours ago, u55ama said:

i wanted to keep similar fans together. Will getting 5 similar good rated fans help? or AIO replacement is a must?

That does help

Maybe something like the arctic p12

Though id personally just ditch the aio for an aircooler as itll be much cheaper to just buy a phantom spirit/ag620 then replace a bunch of fans, itll probably outperform the aio too even if you did get better fans

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

That does help

Maybe something like the arctic p12

Though id personally just ditch the aio for an aircooler as itll be much cheaper to just buy a phantom spirit/ag620 then replace a bunch of fans, itll probably outperform the aio too even if you did get better fans

Well at this point I'll do anything to keep the CPU around 70-80 mark.

BUT NO undervolting or such. Please

1 hour ago, u55ama said:

Well at this point I'll do anything to keep the CPU around 70-80 mark.

BUT NO undervolting or such. Please

Just follow an undervolting tutorial

Cant exactly kill a cpu undervolting and it looksto be pretty easy aswell

Otherwise ignore the temps as long as they arent making the cpu throttle

With a 6600XT I would have said just to swap for a decent air cooler, but most RTX designed have a blow-through, which is very effective for the GPU, but some of the hottest air from the GPU gets pumped at the CPU intake on air coolers (not good). I now recommend AIO CPU cooling when the system has a blow-through GPU cooler.

If you are considering a new AIO, then Arctic Freezer 2 (or 3) are some of the best performing out there and way cheaper than some of those other ones that place cosmetics way above actual performance.... you can pay 3x the same price for something that won't actually work as well, but just look better.

Try to get one with the 140mm fans (e.g. the 280/420mm) if you can as they push a lot more air than the ~15% extra size would have you think:

Fan theory:

Think about those fan blades in a 120mm / 140mm form factor spinning at the same rpm.. but there there is ~25% more fan area (the centre 15mm is usually dead space and the next 5-10mm either side is a very ineffective fan blade shape, so you're actually comparing 90mm blades to 110mm blades) AND the extra area they are moving is further out, so at the same RPM , that part of the fan is moving a lot faster and moving more air.

With identical CPU block, pump, etc.... a  280mm (2x140mm) is normally as effective as a 360mm (3x120mm) for outright cooling performance, although the 360mm will have more "heatsoak" capacity due to the larger radiator and therefore more fluid in the system.

Definitely stick to using proper AIO fans - ideally the provided ones or be really careful if you select alternatives.... they need to fit and seal properly and need to be of the right type (optimised for static pressure, not just unobstructed airflow).