Any (Ultra)-Wide monitor advice?

mCode

Hello guys & gals

Currently in the search of a new monitor, but I don't know much about the current 'best bang for buck'. I got a 1200 euros (absolute max) budget but it's nice to go a little under. I'm from the Netherlands for reference. 

Minimum Criteria

• Must work with USB-C to attach a Macbook Pro
  • Must work with DP to attach my Windows computer
  • 144FPS 
  • Maximum of 1MS response time
  • Not famous for burn-in (if OLED) / I can't afford to ''just buy a new one''
  • Between 30 & 40 inches. 

What I do with it

• Video editing at 1440P (so colour & density must accurate)
  • Video gaming. I play every RPG you can image (e.g.: RDR2, Elden Ring, WoW)
  • Software developing (Long hours if that matters?) 

• RTX 3080
  • z690 ASROCK Mini ITX
  • Coolermaster 240mm Masterliquid
  • 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro SL
  • Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold
  • 2TB 980 Pro m.2

How do you feel about 32:9 aspect ratio? My spouse LOVES the AGON 49" DQHD monitor. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 3/29/2024 at 8:50 AM, mCode said:

Hello guys & gals

Currently in the search of a new monitor, but I don't know much about the current 'best bang for buck'. I got a 1200 euros (absolute max) budget but it's nice to go a little under. I'm from the Netherlands for reference. 

Minimum Criteria

• Must work with USB-C to attach a Macbook Pro
  • Must work with DP to attach my Windows computer
  • 144FPS 
  • Maximum of 1MS response time
  • Not famous for burn-in (if OLED) / I can't afford to ''just buy a new one''
  • Between 30 & 40 inches. 

What I do with it

• Video editing at 1440P (so colour & density must accurate)
  • Video gaming. I play every RPG you can image (e.g.: RDR2, Elden Ring, WoW)
  • Software developing (Long hours if that matters?) 

Well... QD-OLED offers a 3-year warranty, I think it's worth considering it just for the quality itself. I mean... 3 years divided by $777.77, that's the current price for the AW3423DWF, I think it's worth the shot. But if you really don't want it, I would recommend an IPS one over VA. Here are a few options:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#a=21009&sort=price&X=1942,887500&P=2&D=95000,540000&r=344001440

It starts at $369.99 and you can filter for curved if you prefer, which I do in this size. 32:9 is pretty cool, but the games that support it are few... most games just stretch the image so... I would stick with 21:9.

Either the Dell/Alienware AW3423DWF that was already mentioned, or if you really don't want to go with OLED, I'd recommend the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. This Samsung monitor is as good as it gets with regular LCD.

But if you're not 100% fixated on ultrawide, I'd recommend to get one of the newer 32" 4K 240Hz QD-OLED monitors. They're significantly better than the AW3423DWF and should still be in budget.

A regular 16:9 monitor will also have much better compatibility with every application. Not to mention 4K will have much better text quality so working on them is also easier on the eyes.

Here are a few examples:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I'll say the only proper solution to that is to get yourself dual monitors. One OLED/mini-LED for gaming and media consumption and one cheap regular LCD or two.

As per the latest Burn-in study by rting, I'll say any high  HDR monitors are at risk of failing with heavy usage. OLED burnt-in and (mini-LED) LCD either straight up dying or suffer severe banding. After all, any display malfunctions if significant portions of their LEDs stop working, and mini-LED still has lot of LED even if not as many as OLED.

In rting study, many of them failed just as fast as OLED (if not faster), if you can't take any failing risk, regular SDR LCD with traditional backlight is your answer (well, not even that but they should at least be more stable than HDR)