unRAID doesn't load a web UI anymore

Hey, I could use a little help with something again.

So yesterday I built my unRAID NAS and it worked for the most part.

Today I had to restart it which works over the web UI without a problem. (So proper shutdown, no power cable type thing.)

After restarting the web UI didn't work which was odd, so I plugged a monitor into the server which had now changed IP adress.

After typing in the new IP, nothing happened and the site couldn't load.

It seems like the server is on and working, because it shows an IP instead of an error message.

What I tried:

- pinging the shown IP, no response

- checked multiple times the IP is correct

- tried the old IP despite it showing a new one, nothing came up

- tried three different browsers (Firefox, Chromium and Edge)

- removing the s from https

- unplugging and replugging everything network related

- plugging the unRAID boot drive into Windows. Windows automatically mounted it and could read all the files so that doesn't seem corrupt.

- multiple restarts

How do I give it a static IP so it doesn't change every time I restart?

How can I access the UI?

Key thing about setting an IP that sticks: you do it on the router, not the client.

It sounds like you set an IP on the server - don't do that in this case, leave it on DHCP. Go to your router and reserve the address for that server.

Try booting into GUI mode and see if you can access the interface to set a static IP. However, IMHO the better way to do "static" IP's is to use DHCP reservations on your router

Failure is part of success. I may make mistakes, that's how we all learn.

Folding at Home

2 minutes ago, Sant_HH said:

IMHO the better way to do "static" IP's is to use DHCP reservations on your router

It's not just "better", it's the only thing that's going to work with conventional home network setups. You can't just set a specific IP on a client and expect it to work. It won't.

For a server you really want to avoid DHCP reservations, setting it on the device itself is the right thing to do. Of course that means setting it outside of the DHCP server's pool.

You don't want your server to be unreachable in case the DHCP server isn't operational.

Boot in GUI mode, set a fixed IP, check everything works there.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Had to take a while since I only have one mouse so I have to switch around all the time.

I found the main problem but no solution so far. The server does not have an internet connection according to the GUI (I booted in GUI mode). I confirmed this by using the browser on the server to load up Google. No internet, which is odd.

Everything else has a connection and the server is hooked up with an ethernet cable through powerline.

How can it have an IP when it has no connection apparently? I am confused.

Logged into my router and it doesn't show any devices besides my phone and main PC.

Just tried a different port but no luck.

Didn't even try to fix the DHCP or static IP issue for now because the most important thing now is getting it online again. From there I can configure it to stay that way.

21 minutes ago, myplaybox said:

Had to take a while since I only have one mouse so I have to switch around all the time.

I found the main problem but no solution so far. The server does not have an internet connection according to the GUI (I booted in GUI mode). I confirmed this by using the browser on the server to load up Google. No internet, which is odd.

Everything else has a connection and the server is hooked up with an ethernet cable through powerline.

How can it have an IP when it has no connection apparently? I am confused.

Logged into my router and it doesn't show any devices besides my phone and main PC.

Just tried a different port but no luck.

Didn't even try to fix the DHCP or static IP issue for now because the most important thing now is getting it online again. From there I can configure it to stay that way.

It has an IP because you say you set one.

You can't connect to it over the network because you set a static on the server without getting your router to understand which IP you want it to be.

Just plugged my laptop into the ethernet port my server uses. Works and has internet.

Don't know why the server isn't connecting.

5 minutes ago, whispous said:

It has an IP because you say you set one.

You can't connect to it over the network because you set a static on the server without getting your router to understand which IP you want it to be.

Never set it to an IP, it just chose one on startup.

Also router doesn't see the device at all so nothing I can configure there aswell.

Just now, myplaybox said:

Also router doesn't see the device at all so nothing I can configure there aswell.

That's you setting an IP.

7 hours ago, whispous said:

That's you setting an IP.

OP never mentioned setting an IP manually.

7 hours ago, myplaybox said:

If there's none set (i.e. it's set to DHCP) it will not get an IP on your network unless something gives it one, if it's not the main router you might have a 2nd DHCP server on your network.

What's the IP it's given? Is it consistent with the rest of your network?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Can you check the router to see if the router is seeing it

Sorry I had to try different things out.

So it turned out I am a complete idiot and I solved it.

Since I used a powerline for ethernet it had to be on the same circuit, which it is not. When I tested it out and plugged my laptop in, it connected via wifi so I thought my laptop was online. That made me completely rule out the possibility with the circruit.

ISP provided routers are trash, after I solved the "no connection" issue by using another plug I set my server to DHCP and it seems to have the same IP after a reboot.

Thanks for the help, I was just being dumb.   -.-