How do iOS apps obtain the personal data they list in app store privacy section?

For instance, in the iOS app store there is a section that lists what info the app collects that is linked to you or not, if its used for tracking, marketing etc. personal info linked to my identity "that may be collected" by apps.

If i look at a game like Call of Duty mobile, it lists Email address.

If i look at Duolingo, it lists Coarse location, email address, Name, phone number.
Some other apps list all of the above plus more like financial information.payment information.
If I am not literally giving these apps any of this info like typing it in, how would they get my email address, phone number, name, or location... does iOS just automatically grant it to the app?

basically im trying to understand.
If it lists my Full Name as an item it collects, and i literally didnt type it into the app. how does it get it, iOS gives them my full name because its in my apple ID info?
if it lists phone number as an item in the list it may colelct and i won't input it into the app, how would they getting it, ios just gives them my phone number?
same with email address? so everything on that list, iOS automatically hands to the app? or is it collected only if you input it yourself

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

11 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

so everything on that list, iOS automatically hands to the app? or is it collected only if you input it yourself

No, iOS does not just hand your private data to an app. An app can request access to certain things, but you have to grant access before the app can read it.

The information about what type of data that is collected is provided by the developer. It doesn't mean the app always has access to that information, but rather that it may collect it in some cases, with your consent. For example CoD may give you the ability to log in to an account, so in that case the app does collect an email address. But only if you use that functionality. They still have to list it to comply with Apple's rules.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

No, iOS does not just hand your private data to an app. An app can request access to certain things, but you have to grant access before the app can read it.

The information about what type of data that is collected is provided by the developer. It doesn't mean the app always has access to that information, but rather that it may collect it in some cases, with your consent. For example CoD may give you the ability to log in to an account, so in that case the app does collect an email address. But only if you use that functionality. They still have to list it to comply with Apple's rules.

ahhh good to know. so its not automatic

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

2 hours ago, kofman13 said:

ahhh good to know. so its not automatic

Yep. It'll even snitch on apps now, it will double-check with you on whether you want to allow the app to track you cross-app (to other apps in general or back and forth from your browser). I always say no to this. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

20 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

An app can request access to certain things, but you have to grant access before the app can read it.

I've never used iOS, but any droid app I use asking for access to "contacts"* gets uninstalled - at that point you are sharing other peoples data too.

Google "social media shadow profiles".

*without good reason

1 hour ago, Ralphred said:

but any droid app I use asking for access to "contacts"*

Depends a lot on what the app does. And you can always not grant access, if it isn't essential to its functionality

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

25 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

if it isn't essential to its functionality

Hence the *.

If it isn't essential I'm not interested in using, let alone supporting, that software. An alternative will nearly always exist, if it doesn't; make it yourself.

The "EULA" cartoon by IllWIllPress springs to mind...