Gaming Laptop graphics cards issues

Hello There, So this is my last resort cause I was not able to find much useful and working info on this on the web. So I have a gaming laptop and the specs are as follows:

• HP - 15-ec2xx
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
  • Graphics 1: RTX 3050 mobile, Memory: 4GB GDDR6 SDRAM
  • Graphics 2: (Integrated) AMD Cezanne - Internal GPU, Memory: 512 MB DDR4 SDRAM 
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4

So my issues are:

• Whenever I start a game (GTA5 and RDR), the RTX graphics card or AMD card is used. I won't use the RTX card often and that makes the CPU go nuts it takes most of the game load and overheats. To make sure I am not making any other cooling mistakes. I made sure to clean my laptop and also did a repaste, the temps did improve and reduced quite a bit but the GPU issues persist.
  • The second issue I have is that I am not able to train any AI&ML models, I know that 4GB is a pretty low amount of RAM to do any AI&ML training but it's also more than enough to train a few small models to manage quite minute tasks. and I use Python Torch for basic AI&ML training and torch won't acknowledge the RTX GPU nor the AMD GPU and tries to build/train the model using the CPU.

What I did to tackle this:

• I tried a multitude of driver options and also installed dev support for my GPU.
  • I tried installing Ubuntu in duel boot and tried running my training model on that but the same issue persists.
  • I tried using other libraries to train the models and they also failed to detect the GPUs.
  • I tried installing any drivers I found and ran all the tests, but none worked.
  • I tried the Nvidia-utils to detect I have the GPU present and that worked.

What should I do?

What can I do?

How can I determine the issue?

you're throwing a lot of words around, and that includes a lot of (seemingly) conflicting info:

Here's a solid initial troubleshooting step to see:

Step 1:
Run Cinebench, and monitor CPU Speeds & Temps using HWInfo64.

Step 2:  
Do the same thing, but run the GPU Test on the RTX 3050

Step 3:  
Repeat 2, using the AMD iGPU

Step 4: 
Redo step 2, but also load up the CPU at the same time

Step 5:
Redo Step 3, but also load the CPU at the same time

A Gaming Laptop should (generally) be able to handle a gaming load without choking to death too hard.  You need to start with the basics and see where your issue may lie. 

Windows took over control over if the iGPU or dGPU is used. Good luck with that. This used to suck less when Nvidia had control. There is an option somewhere in Windows where you can say what tasks use which GPU. When the dGPU is not in use, it can appear to disappear, which means it can't be used.

Ideally you would turn off the iGPU entirely and only use dGPU for both performance and consistency. This tends to be a higher end laptop option only so might not be an option in this case. Still, you can look in bios to see if it is possible at all.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

21 hours ago, porina said:

Windows took over control over if the iGPU or dGPU is used. Good luck with that. This used to suck less when Nvidia had control. There is an option somewhere in Windows where you can say what tasks use which GPU. When the dGPU is not in use, it can appear to disappear, which means it can't be used.

Ideally you would turn off the iGPU entirely and only use dGPU for both performance and consistency. This tends to be a higher end laptop option only so might not be an option in this case. Still, you can look in bios to see if it is possible at all.

The bios is a complete POS, There is nothing in there that I can change/ edit. I heard there is some kind of switch I believe it is known as Optimus and I have no clue where it is I manually changed all the settings in the Nvidia control panel and assigned which programs can use the igpu and dgpu but still no difference. 😓🥲🥹.

22 hours ago, tkitch said:

you're throwing a lot of words around, and that includes a lot of (seemingly) conflicting info:

Here's a solid initial troubleshooting step to see:

Step 1:
Run Cinebench, and monitor CPU Speeds & Temps using HWInfo64.

Step 2:  
Do the same thing, but run the GPU Test on the RTX 3050

Step 3:  
Repeat 2, using the AMD iGPU

Step 4: 
Redo step 2, but also load up the CPU at the same time

Step 5:
Redo Step 3, but also load the CPU at the same time

A Gaming Laptop should (generally) be able to handle a gaming load without choking to death too hard.  You need to start with the basics and see where your issue may lie. 

I will run this test and then check what results might pop.