I'm shopping for a UPS and huh... I'm unfamiliar with them

Lebon14

Hey y'all.

I'm not really sure where to make this thread... since that's power related, I guess that could in PSUs.

So, I'm looking to buy a UPS from Eaton. I was looking at that one:
https://www.eaton.com/ca/en-gb/skuPage.5S1000LCD.html

(Eaton 5S1000LCD if page 404'd even though I just copied it off their site)

It can give 600W if I understand it.

I want to attach to it the following device:

- My Synology NAS (Model: DS1821+ - 4×10TB WD Red Pro drives, extra 10gbe ethernet card)

- My Asus RT-AX86U router

- FTTH Nokia ONT

- My main desktop and everything related (see my rig for details)

- A Minisforum Mini-PC

- A Nintendo switch

- A LED lamp

My PC, according to Extreme Outer Vision PSU calculator, at 90% TDP, my PC could pull around 566W and it has a 800W Seasonic PSU. Now, obviously, I'm never running my PC that hard for long. Heck, I'm most likely pulling barely 150W coz I'm most doing surfing stuff.

Maybe I could do with less?

BEFORE I FORGET

I want the thing to be silent. My place at work as some Eaton UPSes and they are NOISY AF. That's also because the thing will be in my bedroom. So, yeah.

There's no budget yet set for this. But I'd be preferably looking for less than 500$CAD.

Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance. I really could use for advice.

you braking everything down in to wat hours so if you switch uses 100w and hour you have 6 hours of play time.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you braking everything down in to wat hours so if you switch uses 100w and hour you have 6 hours of play time.

A UPS generally isn't intended to power your devices for extended periods of time.

Their use case, from a business standpoint, is to power hardware just long enough to either:

• Do a controlled shutdown
  • Allow backup generators to kick in

So you what you want is a UPS that can keep all of your devices running for e.g. 10 minutes. Worst case scenario is likely a power outage at a time where all of them are in use at the same time as you're running a gaming workload.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

A UPS generally isn't intended to power your devices for extended periods of time.

Their use case, from a business standpoint, is to power hardware just long enough to either:

So you what you want is a UPS that can keep all of your devices running for e.g. 10 minutes. Worst case scenario is likely a power outage at a time where all of them are in use at the same time as you're running a gaming workload.

ya but a switch is not a normally thing to keep powered up. and you can buy big backups now like 2500wh+ i have a 1400 and its a ups.

all the stuff listed seems like its to be used well power is out imo

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's my understanding as well. I want a UPS to protect my hardware from extremely short power outages (that I call "flashes"). If the power goes out for a longer period of time, that I'll be able to close my Minisforum PC, NAS and main PC in that specific order. In other words, a controlled shutdown. If I didn't have my PC to worry about, I'd get a cheaper 100W one and call it a day. However, because my PC takes much more watts than anything else I listed... like, 566W at 90% TDP but I have only a 600W bank... it'll be depleted in a flash. I don't decide when power outages happen either. I could only be browsing or I could render a video or I could play a game. If I happen to do something more taxing, well, I need the UPS to have enough juice so I can cancel everything and do a control shutdown.

Also, I'm not a business lol. Just the regular consumer that is tired of playing Russian Roulette every time a "flash" happens and have to read "(NAS Name) has had frequent improper shutdowns. Consider getting a UPS." messages from my NAS.

So, yesterday, I was browsing Newegg and out of curiosity, I checked the rankings of the most sold UPS and it was this:

https://www.newegg.ca/cyberpower-cp1500pfclcd-nema-5-15r/p/N82E16842102134

The CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. Anybody has this? Is it reliable? I know that older versions were a ticking bomb because some kind of product would turn conductive but that seemed something of the past.

Because otherwise, it ticks all my boxes and more.