Hyper backup , compression or not ? 1 hdd daily backup , 1 hdd backup one time or monthly

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

I would assume backup compression is lossless. What software in particular are you talking about, does it have any specific options for images and video?

Ah, missed that you're talking about Hyper Backup. It is using lossless compression, it won't re-encode your images and videos. Whether compression is worth it depends on how compressible that data you're backing up is. If it is mostly images and videos (which are already compressed formats), it won't provide much or any additional compression.

Hello ,
I can't decide , I have 2 of 2tb external hdd's , not sure what compression doing
1 daily backup ,
1 monthly or any new update just spare ,
but compression option will reduce quality of image and videos ? 

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

I would assume backup compression is lossless. What software in particular are you talking about, does it have any specific options for images and video?

Ah, missed that you're talking about Hyper Backup. It is using lossless compression, it won't re-encode your images and videos. Whether compression is worth it depends on how compressible that data you're backing up is. If it is mostly images and videos (which are already compressed formats), it won't provide much or any additional compression.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

54 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

basically what compression meaans tho, if the company goes out of business it could render your backups useless. 

that's why i always clone, you could at least always read your files. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

basically what compression meaans tho, if the company goes out of business it could render your backups useless.

If you backup to the cloud and the company goes out of business, your backup is gone, regardless of compression or not. If you backup to your own hardware and the software you use still works, you don't have to care whether the manufacturer/developer is still around.

Hyper Backup isn't limited to cloud backups: https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/feature/hyper_backup

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

that's why i always clone, you could at least always read your files. 

so better non compression  ?

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you backup to the cloud and the company goes out of business, your backup is gone, regardless of compression or not. If you backup to your own hardware and the software you use still works, you don't have to care whether the manufacturer/developer is still around.

Hyper Backup isn't limited to cloud backups: https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/feature/hyper_backup

make me asking , want backup to external usb drive , so 

Just now, PSP. said:

make me asking , want backup to external usb drive , so 

As I said, it really depends on what you're backing up. If it is mostly text files you can save a ton of space. If it is mostly images and video, compression isn't going to do much, since the files are already compressed.

No compression is going to be faster, and easier to access without requiring specific software. So in that sense I agree with @Mark Kaine, it's usually the more sensible option. Compression primarily makes sense if you have a ton of (highly compressible) data and can't afford disks that are big enough.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

As I said, it really depends on what you're backing up. If it is mostly text files you can save a ton of space. If it is mostly images and video, compression isn't going to do much, since the files are already compressed.

No compression is going to be faster, and easier to access without requiring specific software. So in that sense I agree with @Mark Kaine, it's usually the more sensible option. Compression primarily makes sense if you have a ton of (highly compressible) data and can't afford disks that are big enough.

backing up non compression first drive videos for plex Anime and movies  + Synology photo all with videos  + Synology drive .rar files + app's checked everything , second drive will test compression 

was worried  to lose videos quality I did many things , 
so compression or not fine then

2024-03-27 23_21_33-PSP - Brave.png

2024-03-27 23_28_46-Plex - Brave.png