Intel ARC A770 16 GB VS RTX 4060 8 GB

I know most people would automatically go for the RTX card but I'm not wanting to do any overclocking and they are both at the same price at the moment, what would you recommend is the best card to get out of the 2 for both video editing and gaming?

If you play in 4k, A770 simply for the vram

If not, the 4060 is slightly faster.

The A770 is likely to have a longer useful life, but the 4060 is superior in most other ways (e.g. power consumption/efficiency, performance).

5 minutes ago, LukeCorbishley said:

both video editing and gaming?

what res for gaming? what res for video editing? if it's 1080p then 4060 will be fine. But if either is 4k then get the a770. If gaming is 4k then definitely the a770

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

The footage I edit is usually 4k but occasionally working with higher res footage which is usually RED 8k raw (Which I use proxies for) and gaming is just going to be as high res as the card allows, that's not as important to me as the video editing.

1 minute ago, LukeCorbishley said:

and gaming is just going to be as high res as the card allows, that's not as important to me as the video editing.

The A770 actually gets faster (versus the competition) as the resolution goes up, so it sounds like you're better off with that.

27 minutes ago, LukeCorbishley said:

I know most people would automatically go for the RTX card but I'm not wanting to do any overclocking and they are both at the same price at the moment, what would you recommend is the best card to get out of the 2 for both video editing and gaming?

What price ?

I'd get an AMD card in this budget range, 7600XT or 6700XT

Faster, enough VRAM, decent drivers

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

for video editing its not even a question,  nvidia has NVENC, the others don't.  especially intel is probably extremely immature in that aspect,  all they care is about gaming performance (hint: they don't really care)

is that really a serious question? professional video editing? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

for video editing its not even a question,  nvidia has NVENC, the others don't.  especially intel is probably extremely immature in that aspect,  all they care is about gaming performance (hint: they don't really care)

Arcs dedicated av1 hardware is pretty comparable in this regard, to the extent half the reason anyone buys an A380 is for that feature in streaming or capture PCs.

This would be mostly down to the choice of encode/decode where nvenc av1 is slower than Intels av1, though nvenc HEVC is faster than what arc can do hardware wise for hevc.

6 hours ago, PDifolco said:

What price ?

I'd get an AMD card in this budget range, 7600XT or 6700XT

Faster, enough VRAM, decent drivers

They are both around £300, just looking for something slightly newer then I currently have that has a little bit more horsepower as I can't afford a 4080 or anything like that

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

AMD 7000 GPU have NV1 as well, for video editing I suppose they're ok now (don't do it myself so not sure)

2 hours ago, LukeCorbishley said:

They are both around £300, just looking for something slightly newer then I currently have that has a little bit more horsepower as I can't afford a 4080 or anything like that

Newer than what ? there's really nothing new worthwhile below £300 atm imo... Last gen is a bit less costly but older AMD cards aren't good at video, maybe a 3060 12GB ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I am definitely biased as the owner of a 16gb A770, but with doing anything in 4k it's definitely the go-to here in my opinion. 16gb of vram will keep it alive in modern titles for far longer than an 8gb card.

16 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

AMD 7000 GPU have NV1 as well, for video editing I suppose they're ok now (don't do it myself so not sure)

that's the thing... with amd and intel you're gambling that it "might" work, with NVENC you *know* it'll work... 

im just really skeptical they could catch up by now, sure it'll be improved somewhat... but why take the gamble?

now, idk if it was just for gaming I'd actually say why not... 

(but since i record and edit a lot, always with NVENC, and it literally just works its not really an option to me for these purposes) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Newer than what ? there's really nothing new worthwhile below £300 atm imo... Last gen is a bit less costly but older AMD cards aren't good at video, maybe a 3060 12GB

agreed,  that's actually the important information we don't have... upgrade "from what?"

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm looking at upgrading from a RTX 2060 Super as its starting to show its age a bit in some tasks

16 minutes ago, LukeCorbishley said:

I'm looking at upgrading from a RTX 2060 Super as its starting to show its age a bit in some tasks

2060S costed around £400 on release, you can't have a good upgrade for £300 now...

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

2060S costed around £400 on release, you can't have a good upgrade for £300 now...

I get that I'm just on a budget and was looking if it was worthwhile me upgrading for the price I can currently afford, both of these cards seem better for my uses then the 2060 super I currently have. If not the two I have said, what would you suggest in your opinion if I were to spend some more

9 minutes ago, LukeCorbishley said:

I get that I'm just on a budget and was looking if it was worthwhile me upgrading for the price I can currently afford, both of these cards seem better for my uses then the 2060 super I currently have. If not the two I have said, what would you suggest in your opinion if I were to spend some more

Well best you can get for £300 is only +20% vs your current 2060S, not worth it imo

You need £500 to get a really better GPU, 4070 or 7800XT

image.png.a86970186f9f6d06735b0883e142f0db.png

Just now, PDifolco said:

Well best you can get for £300 is only +20% vs your current 2060S, not worth it imo

You need £500 to get a really better GPU, 4070 or 7800XT

image.png.a86970186f9f6d06735b0883e142f0db.png

Thanks for that, really appreciate it! I will put a bit extra money to the side and get something a bit more expensive, what are you using to get that comparison by the way? It looks like it could be really useful

Just now, LukeCorbishley said:

Thanks for that, really appreciate it! I will put a bit extra money to the side and get something a bit more expensive, what are you using to get that comparison by the way? It looks like it could be really useful

Techpowerup GPU database, a real gold mine 🙂

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2060-super.c3441

6 minutes ago, LukeCorbishley said:

Thanks! I will use that to have a look when I have a bit more budget for it. Do you know if there's a similar site for CPUs?

Not really afaik...

Thanks! I will use that to have a look when I have a bit more budget for it. Do you know if there's a similar site for CPUs?

You can use this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleCompare.php

The single thread score is somewhat comparable to gaming performance. TPU's reviews include a lot of CPUs too, so if you take one of the latest ones (e.g. 7800X3D review) there's a lot of numbers.

29 minutes ago, Tetras said:

You can use this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleCompare.php

The single thread score is somewhat comparable to gaming performance. TPU's reviews include a lot of CPUs too, so if you take one of the latest ones (e.g. 7800X3D review) there's a lot of numbers.

Thank you! I will have a look at that

9 hours ago, LukeCorbishley said:

well a used 3070 or something would do the trick.

or 6700xt or whatever you can get in that bracket really.  3060 maybe.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity