Fastest way to spread the word of folding to non tech users.

What suggestions do you all have on how to "spread the word" of folding to non tech people, or just people who don't know about it yet in general?

Would like a quick and efficient way to do this, so do any of you now any relevant large forums, besides LTT, groups, or other places where this info could reach a large amount of people in a short time?

I think there is such a gigantic potential for folding still, cause most "regular" people still don't even know that it's possible.

Unfortunately that's probably a pipe dream, most "regular" people don't have a spare computer or desktop they would be willing to leave on constantly. Im betting the vast majority of people that have a computer own a laptop and they won't want to leave it on and running constantly. Odds are when they are done using its closed and set somewhere. I know my laptops often end up on their side upright on the middle cushion against the couch or on the coffee table. I also wouldn't want one of my laptops running constantly.

As far as trying to get more people involved that don't know would be through advertising and I have a suspicion they don't have the budget to do so. Im sure most tech channels would talk about it for free but other channels trying to reach non tech people probably wouldn't. Next best hope would be to get companies involved, I know at my office a couple departments have powerful desktops that go idle at night and weekends but I doubt the higher ups would approve them running the software.

33 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

What suggestions do you all have on how to "spread the word" of folding to non tech people, or just people who don't know about it yet in general?

Would like a quick and efficient way to do this, so do any of you now any relevant large forums, besides LTT, groups, or other places where this info could reach a large amount of people in a short time?

I think there is such a gigantic potential for folding still, cause most "regular" people still don't even know that it's possible.

Are you trying to get the word out or push people into it?

Advertise.  Get into Google Adspace.  Have pop ups when I go into my email, or anywhere.  Facebook, Insta, etc etc etc.

Are you now some major proponent of Folding?  What's driving this?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

44 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

They don't care. It's a niche for people that have the cash to burn on electricity. The average person does not or will not.

55 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

I think a lot of people don't care, or can't afford/don't want to afford the electricity that essentially just gets turned into heat for no immediate benefit to them.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

38 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Are you trying to get the word out or push people into it?

Advertise.  Get into Google Adspace.  Have pop ups when I go into my email, or anywhere.  Facebook, Insta, etc etc etc.

Are you now some major proponent of Folding?  What's driving this?

No, I don't wanna "push" anything. I just wanna spread the word of folding, cause I think it's an ingenius version of charity, where you don't have to work for free or donate money to contribute, and I think especially young people, who wanna do something "good", but can't seem to get any influence politically or whatever, would love to know that they are helping out science for "free", only costs a little extra in power, especially if they're only using the mobile folding app "Dreamlab", which only runs when the phone is connected to power. I have no connection to any "money" or company, this is a personal hobby and interest of wanting to get more people to fold, willingly, again, not trying to "push" anything 🙂. If you really wanna know, I play the organ for a living, and have simply always had an interest/hobby in computers and IT.

29 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

They don't care. It's a niche for people that have the cash to burn on electricity. The average person does not or will not.

I think many young people would love to do "good"/charity work essentially, without having to spend time or money doing it.

41 minutes ago, voyager_ said:

Unfortunately that's probably a pipe dream, most "regular" people don't have a spare computer or desktop they would be willing to leave on constantly. Im betting the vast majority of people that have a computer own a laptop and they won't want to leave it on and running constantly. Odds are when they are done using its closed and set somewhere. I know my laptops often end up on their side upright on the middle cushion against the couch or on the coffee table. I also wouldn't want one of my laptops running constantly.

As far as trying to get more people involved that don't know would be through advertising and I have a suspicion they don't have the budget to do so. Im sure most tech channels would talk about it for free but other channels trying to reach non tech people probably wouldn't. Next best hope would be to get companies involved, I know at my office a couple departments have powerful desktops that go idle at night and weekends but I doubt the higher ups would approve them running the software.

That's why the folding app "Dreamlab" exists, to solve the computer issue you're mentioning here.

16 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

without having to spend time or money doing it.

Your electricity doesn't cost you anything?

20 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

here you don't have to work for free

I have to work to be able to afford my power bill. And if part of that power bill is spent on things with no immediate benefit, I am effectively working "for free"

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

31 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

No, I don't wanna "push" anything. I just wanna spread the word of folding, cause I think it's an ingenius version of charity, where you don't have to work for free or donate money to contribute, and I think especially young people, who wanna do something "good", but can't seem to get any influence politically or whatever, would love to know that they are helping out science for "free", only costs a little extra in power, especially if they're only using the mobile folding app "Dreamlab", which only runs when the phone is connected to power. I have no connection to any "money" or company, this is a personal hobby and interest of wanting to get more people to fold, willingly, again, not trying to "push" anything 🙂. If you really wanna know, I play the organ for a living, and have simply always had an interest/hobby in computers and IT.

Not saying you have an agenda, though your post history definitely shows a push for tech stuff and trying to spread information.

Folding isn't free at all.  It uses resources like electricity, but also generates heat so a home has A/C increases, for example.  Plus, many people just don't know HOW to do all this and any little bit  that is frustrating can cause a lockdown.   People have a very low tolerance for things that don't directly benefit themselves, especially young people who can't even imagine disease or mortality issues.  We were all invincible once 🙂

Don't forget that many people will think they're damaging their machines over time or introducing wear/tear on it.  Forum is chock full of even techy people asking this stuff.

I'd just say get the word out thru advertising, let people dig into it on their terms.   Basic marketing to reach the most people for hte least amount of money.  Even with the thousands here,  you only get a decent handful seeing a post.  So ads are the way to go IMO.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

As others said, power is a cost. If you use a laptop or phone and don't leave it plugged in all day, then the additional battery cycles are another cost eventually, as you'll have to get that battery replaced or suffer with shite battery life. Temps and noise are also a concern for both, running loud and hot can be a major inconvenience. 

There's also no great need (AFAIK) for a massive influx of folders. F@H already struggles with distributing work units during some folding events, they'll often have access to so much hardware that they don't actually have anything for it to do. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

t's a niche for people that have the cash to burn on electricity. 

^ basically this. It's a fun thing (due to the points system/leaderboard) for computer gearheads to do. Like charity events for car or motorcycle gearheads, etc. An excuse to flex the stuff they work on in their hobby for a good cause. Not a practical thing for everyone to engage in.

Though it can be practical in the winter if you have cheap power and a very power hungry computer, you can run F@H as a decent space heater under those conditions. As dedayog noted it's the opposite when it's warm out, you fight your own AC then. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

22 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

That's why the folding app "Dreamlab" exists, to solve the computer issue you're mentioning here.

You're still going to run into similar issues, it's just added wear and tear on a phone. Many people wirelessly charge their phones and that already makes the phones warm, last thing I want to do is have it also process a task all night making it run hotter.

I'm willing to bet people would be even more against using their phone then using their computer when at this point people use their phone for everything and won't trust an app running on their phone doing stuff that they don't understand. 

It all comes down to the same basic issues: No advertising to spread awareness/support, wear and tear on devices, power usage, and trust. You can run all the ads you want about it and the benefits and im sure some people will jump on board with their phones or computers but at the end of the day if I see an ad for something that says to download this and let us use your device to process data people won't trust it. It sounds sketchy and while that may not be the case for every 1 good charity there are 1000+ scams out there. 

1 hour ago, kasdashd said:

I think many young people would love to do "good"/charity work essentially, without having to spend time or money doing it.

🤔 🤨

4 hours ago, Average Nerd said:

I think a lot of people don't care, or can't afford/don't want to afford the electricity that essentially just gets turned into heat for no immediate benefit to them.

Then they can save on heating, and it’s something you prioritize, paying more for power for your PC to fold, a selfless choice.

4 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Your electricity doesn't cost you anything?

I have to work to be able to afford my power bill. And if part of that power bill is spent on things with no immediate benefit, I am effectively working "for free"

Yes, power costs, and if you can’t afford that increase, don’t fold, but many people can, I’m not trying to get every single person to fold, but just those who want to, and can afford to. If it doesn’t work for you, that’s fair. And working for free is a selfless choice, not something you yourself have to benefit from.

4 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Not saying you have an agenda, though your post history definitely shows a push for tech stuff and trying to spread information.

Folding isn't free at all.  It uses resources like electricity, but also generates heat so a home has A/C increases, for example.  Plus, many people just don't know HOW to do all this and any little bit  that is frustrating can cause a lockdown.   People have a very low tolerance for things that don't directly benefit themselves, especially young people who can't even imagine disease or mortality issues.  We were all invincible once 🙂

Don't forget that many people will think they're damaging their machines over time or introducing wear/tear on it.  Forum is chock full of even techy people asking this stuff.

I'd just say get the word out thru advertising, let people dig into it on their terms.   Basic marketing to reach the most people for hte least amount of money.  Even with the thousands here,  you only get a decent handful seeing a post.  So ads are the way to go IMO.

Low tolerance, lockdown, fear of damaging hardware. These are all human fears and faults, which can be fi ed with objective information and teaching. And if a forum isn’t used to spread information, and do “good” with that information, then what’s it worth? Helping individuals and discussion opinions till the cows come home, results in no change in the world.

4 hours ago, Zando_ said:

As others said, power is a cost. If you use a laptop or phone and don't leave it plugged in all day, then the additional battery cycles are another cost eventually, as you'll have to get that battery replaced or suffer with shite battery life. Temps and noise are also a concern for both, running loud and hot can be a major inconvenience. 

There's also no great need (AFAIK) for a massive influx of folders. F@H already struggles with distributing work units during some folding events, they'll often have access to so much hardware that they don't actually have anything for it to do. 

^ basically this. It's a fun thing (due to the points system/leaderboard) for computer gearheads to do. Like charity events for car or motorcycle gearheads, etc. An excuse to flex the stuff they work on in their hobby for a good cause. Not a practical thing for everyone to engage in.

Though it can be practical in the winter if you have cheap power and a very power hungry computer, you can run F@H as a decent space heater under those conditions. As dedayog noted it's the opposite when it's warm out, you fight your own AC then. 

Some of us still live at home, where we don’t pay our parents extra for a higher power bill, or don’t pay them at all, if we’re under 18. And sorry, if you can’t afford that extra power, then your budget is too tight, and you gotta fix your economy.

4 hours ago, voyager_ said:

You're still going to run into similar issues, it's just added wear and tear on a phone. Many people wirelessly charge their phones and that already makes the phones warm, last thing I want to do is have it also process a task all night making it run hotter.

I'm willing to bet people would be even more against using their phone then using their computer when at this point people use their phone for everything and won't trust an app running on their phone doing stuff that they don't understand. 

It all comes down to the same basic issues: No advertising to spread awareness/support, wear and tear on devices, power usage, and trust. You can run all the ads you want about it and the benefits and im sure some people will jump on board with their phones or computers but at the end of the day if I see an ad for something that says to download this and let us use your device to process data people won't trust it. It sounds sketchy and while that may not be the case for every 1 good charity there are 1000+ scams out there. 

But the mobile dreamlab app stops folding when the phone get too hot, so it doesn’t wear and tear too much. Of course the designers have thought about this, and the phone is being heavily underutilized for this app anyway.

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

🤔 🤨

Humans are lazy, can’t change that, but embrace it.

Then they can save on heating,

Not really. As I said, it can work as a neat space heater. Not gonna beat a proper HVAC system for anything but a single room though. My power bill doubled when I ran a few GPUs 24/7 for a folding event. In winter, so assisting the HVAC not fighting it.

paying more for power for your PC to fold, a selfless choice.

Not everyone can do so, nor do they want to.

And sorry, if you can’t afford that extra power, then your budget is too tight, and you gotta fix your economy.

🤓 <- that's the only appropriate reaction I have for this statement lmao.

Some of us still live at home, where we don’t pay our parents extra for a higher power bill, or don’t pay them at all, if we’re under 18.

You assume everyone's parents can just magically afford a higher bill. Mom and Dad don't poof money out of a hat infinitely for their kids projects. I've had the privilege of financially stable parents who can both shrug off an increased power bill and have helped me financially in a bunch of other ways, most people do not get that. It is very important to understand that that is a less and less common privilege these days, so you don't come across as an entitled twat.

I don't get the fixation on F@H. As I said earlier it seems to be going fine, and they regularly have more hardware than they can actually use enrolled. I'm not sure what point there would be in the masses running F@H on very slow and inefficient devices (really anything but a decent to great GPU is practically useless for F@H, I only run CPU folding when I want the heat output). If you want to effect the world in a positive way, look into how batteries are produced from raw materials to final product (both environmental and human cost), then come back and advocate for burning through the limited useful life of mobile and laptop batteries to accomplish barely anything as F@H doesn't scale well on those devices. If they could even be served work units.

On the speed of F@H, back during the covid push in 2020, the network was 2x faster than the fastest supercomputer on the planet: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/folding-at-home-worlds-top-supercomputers-coronavirus-covid-19. This article also does a good job of mentioning that you can contribute with your hardware if you want, but not being too pushy over it.

On mobile, unless they've changed it, DreamLab seems especially bad on modern phones: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=32951. Relevant bit here:

DreamLab darkens the screen but doesn't allow it to switch off so that it can keep on working - you end up with a black screen with a tiny silhouetted DreamLab logo in the center (and I don't run it on my iPhone for this reason - the logo never moves, so even though it's extremely dim, it will contribute to OLED screen burn-in eventually).

Lots of even cheaper phones now are often OLED, seems a bad idea to try and kill screens faster for dubious benefit.

TLDR: Folding @ Home seems a weird thing to want to get regular (non-techie) folks into. It's doing very well (again AFAIK, I haven't seen some massive "we're losing hardware help" message from the F@H team, and we have some hardcore Folders here on the forum so it would have been mentioned if so) in its niche, and doesn't really fit anywhere else due to a multitude of overlapping concerns that may or may not be an issue depending on the individual non-techie person.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, kasdashd said:

Humans are lazy, can’t change that, but embrace it.

🤔

Some of us still live at home, where we don’t pay our parents extra for a higher power bill, or don’t pay them at all, if we’re under 18. And sorry, if you can’t afford that extra power, then your budget is too tight, and you gotta fix your economy.

Ah, got my answer. Gotcha.

4 hours ago, kasdashd said:

Yes, power costs, and if you can’t afford that increase, don’t fold, but many people can, I’m not trying to get every single person to fold, but just those who want to, and can afford to. If it doesn’t work for you, that’s fair. And working for free is a selfless choice, not something you yourself have to benefit from.

<-- as you can see by that badge, I did contribute to folding.

During that time the down payment for my power bill doubled. And that was back when I still paid 32 cent per kWh. Since then the cost for electricity has gone up to 43.5 cent per kWh (+35%), as has the cost of everything else.

If you have parents who can just shrug that off, cool. If you just shrug that off because it's not your money, uncool.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Not really. As I said, it can work as a neat space heater. Not gonna beat a proper HVAC system for anything but a single room though. My power bill doubled when I ran a few GPUs 24/7 for a folding event. In winter, so assisting the HVAC not fighting it.

Not everyone can do so, nor do they want to.

🤓 <- that's the only appropriate reaction I have for this statement lmao.

You assume everyone's parents can just magically afford a higher bill. Mom and Dad don't poof money out of a hat infinitely for their kids projects. I've had the privilege of financially stable parents who can both shrug off an increased power bill and have helped me financially in a bunch of other ways, most people do not get that. It is very important to understand that that is a less and less common privilege these days, so you don't come across as an entitled twat.

I don't get the fixation on F@H. As I said earlier it seems to be going fine, and they regularly have more hardware than they can actually use enrolled. I'm not sure what point there would be in the masses running F@H on very slow and inefficient devices (really anything but a decent to great GPU is practically useless for F@H, I only run CPU folding when I want the heat output). If you want to effect the world in a positive way, look into how batteries are produced from raw materials to final product (both environmental and human cost), then come back and advocate for burning through the limited useful life of mobile and laptop batteries to accomplish barely anything as F@H doesn't scale well on those devices. If they could even be served work units.

On the speed of F@H, back during the covid push in 2020, the network was 2x faster than the fastest supercomputer on the planet: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/folding-at-home-worlds-top-supercomputers-coronavirus-covid-19. This article also does a good job of mentioning that you can contribute with your hardware if you want, but not being too pushy over it.

On mobile, unless they've changed it, DreamLab seems especially bad on modern phones: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=32951. Relevant bit here:

Lots of even cheaper phones now are often OLED, seems a bad idea to try and kill screens faster for dubious benefit.

TLDR: Folding @ Home seems a weird thing to want to get regular (non-techie) folks into. It's doing very well (again AFAIK, I haven't seen some massive "we're losing hardware help" message from the F@H team, and we have some hardcore Folders here on the forum so it would have been mentioned if so) in its niche, and doesn't really fit anywhere else due to a multitude of overlapping concerns that may or may not be an issue depending on the individual non-techie person.

I don’t wanna waste time discussing folding in general. If you don’t have any other suggestions on how to spread the word of folding, then we’re done here.

3 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

<-- as you can see by that badge, I did contribute to folding.

During that time the down payment for my power bill doubled. And that was back when I still paid 32 cent per kWh. Since then the cost for electricity has gone up to 43.5 cent per kWh (+35%), as has the cost of everything else.

If you have parents who can just shrug that off, cool. If you just shrug that off because it's not your money, uncool.

Yes, uncool, but that’s my decision. Thanks for all the suggestions. I now consider this matter closed.

I don’t wanna waste time discussing folding in general. If you don’t have any other suggestions on how to spread the word of folding, then we’re done here.

I think we are trying to talk about FoH and why spreading the word and getting people to do it may run into challenges.  It's not as simple as just spreading the word.

I get it, being young and finding a cause to back is a big deal.  It feels like it's such a no-brainer, right?  Wouldn't everyone donate PC time to help cure diseases!!!!  Duh!!!

But it's more nuanced than that, and people who are older and more experienced are trying to explain that to you.  But then again, with your age and passion comes other factors that make it difficult to get thru  🙂

Hope you realize people aren't trying to undercut your idea, but they ARE fleshing out the other sides of the coin in making it happen.

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech: