Broke CPU while trying to remove from cooler

Go to solution Solved by Radialbog9,

Still won't post.

Debug LEDs on motherboard were showing CPU as error before, now show DRAM (which probably means something's still wrong with the CPU).

Welp. Gotta buy a new one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

While trying to replace thermal paste, I accidentally lifted the CPU (Ryzen 7 3700X) out with the cooler. Existing paste had turned solid. Tried to pry it off with the help of some heat and a knife, but it ended up flying off and landed on the floor.

Happened to have a macro camera on hand, so here's the damage:

image.thumb.png.d8f3bbba6f68bb80293830fdb12c6933.png

image.png.72b65063f2fe67a37302e7d7db8d6178.png

Looks absolutely mangled, so I'm guessing there's nothing I can do to fix it. Won't boot. Suggestions?

I'm pressing "F" for you. That's a rough one.

As to helping you, are all your other pins straight (and intact)? It's also possible some of the layers are shorted together. Cleaning up the damage *might* yield favorable results.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Goofed. Unlucky. It's dead, Jim.

Some advice on "solidified" paste - assuming there's no pressing reason to not do so, turning the machine on, even without a boot device for a few mins will warm the paste and help with removal in the future 🙂

10 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I'm pressing "F" for you. That's a rough one.

As to helping you, are all your other pins straight (and intact)? It's also possible some of the layers are shorted together. Cleaning up the damage *might* yield favorable results.

Yeah, all the pins are straight. Just the edge of the PCB's completely broken.

Since it's already "dead," might as well try to straighten/sand/whatever-you-gotta-do to that corner. Worst-case scenario, it's still dead; best case, you make it functional again.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

11 minutes ago, whispous said:

Goofed. Unlucky. It's dead, Jim.

Some advice on "solidified" paste - assuming there's no pressing reason to not do so, turning the machine on, even without a boot device for a few mins will warm the paste and help with removal in the future 🙂

I had the PC on for an hour and a half before turning off and removing the cooler, so I'm not entirely sure what happened. Entirely possible the thermal paste that was on there just completely solidified because it was quite old.

Guess I'm buying a new CPU then. Thanks for the advice.

1 minute ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Since it's already "dead," might as well try to straighten/sand/whatever-you-gotta-do to that corner. Worst-case scenario, it's still dead; best case, you make it functional again.

I'll try it and see if it works. Thanks for the advice.

14 minutes ago, Radialbog9 said:

Yeah, all the pins are straight. Just the edge of the PCB's completely broken.

You know, it's possible that you haven't actually killed it. Might just be that that corner is keeping the pins from making full contact. If you have a utility/exacto knife and a *very* steady hand you can try slicing off the bits that are bent towards the mobo and retry.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

You may be alr, put it in and try to boot

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8-Core Processor

Memory: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4

SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 1TB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12G oc

Motherboard: Asus Prime B-450 A2

Case: MuseTex k2 Mid Tower

Monitor 1: Samsung SyncMaster S27D360

Monitor 2: Samsung Syncmaster S27B350

Keyboard: Razer Onata

Mouse: Razer Viper

19 minutes ago, OddOod said:

You know, it's possible that you haven't actually killed it. Might just be that that corner is keeping the pins from making full contact. If you have a utility/exacto knife and a *very* steady hand you can try slicing off the bits that are bent towards the mobo and retry.

Just remembered when I put the CPU back in to quickly check if it was working (and it didn't post) I didn't put the cooler back on, so that might've been the problem so might not actually be dead. Gonna try the exactoknife to bend those bits away from the mobo + mount cpu back with cooler and keep you guys updated.

Still won't post.

Debug LEDs on motherboard were showing CPU as error before, now show DRAM (which probably means something's still wrong with the CPU).

9 minutes ago, Radialbog9 said:

Still won't post.

You could always buy the cheapest, slowest possible second hand one off ebay that is the same generation to test with, then resell it

EDIT: scratch that, they're all $$$$$$