Got an audio interface with a subwoofer now whenever I play dune 2 Lisan al Gaib I get crackles in my studiomonitors

Hey peops I recently got a decent secondhand deal including a presonus 8 inch subwoofer and an audiobox USB 96 (also presonus, all cables needed included). Now I do love me some dune so I was listening to the dune 2 soundtrack, Lisan al Gaib specifically and my studio monitors (3.5 eris) started crackling at the lower bass ends. I have HPF enabled on the presonus 8 inch subwoofer and I tested the speakers with the normal RCA to audio jack method, no crackle. I have tried other songs or base tests, no crackle. Is Hans Zimmer attacking my studio monitors? Back panels of audio equipment given in attachments. I am pretty sure I plugged everything in right, if not, could that be the issue (like switching left/right or doing in out/input wrong). Help would be greatly appreciated, what is life without the dune 2 soundtrack?20240325_202531.thumb.jpg.7206768cf9c9f91f9559457461082e3b.jpg20240325_202609.thumb.jpg.38a2b123a979f7bfed01a1e6b343eb58.jpg20240325_202510.thumb.jpg.8c77dbf80b0062504d721be9c61a74de.jpg

Eliminate just the audio interface first. So normal PC 3.5mm to RCA out to the Unbalanced RCA intput on the sub, then RCA unbalanced out to the RCA unbalanced in on the speakers. What sample rate and bit depth do you have the output set to for that audio interface in Windows? 

For one, it's hard to tell from the pic if these are set for +3 or -3, but set those to 12 o'clock (0db).

image.png.b5b208f93b26c9621d68d1139a65e4ee.png

Turn the gain on this one to 0db as well, and then the low pass filter to 100-120hz (further to the right than you have it currently; or 'up'). If the HPF is based off of the LPF cutoff, the monitors are trying to go down to ~65hz which could cause crackling. But it is a little odd that the monitors without sub do not crackle.

image.png.3fca8e25d9d7c666933f251ee1c32590.png

Try the other recommendations from @GuiltySpark_ as well. If it's a 'digital' crackling sample rate mismatch is definitely a likely culprit; but if it's distortion/'analog' crackling it's likely a crossover/gain issue. The other possibility is that you aren't using balanced cables. Are they TRS plugs like this:

image.png.9faa6476c5abee7bbb7c6f63a44afa80.png

or TS like this:

image.png.eaf6f373148822071e69a8e4c2b8c74e.png

20 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Eliminate just the audio interface first. So normal PC 3.5mm to RCA out to the Unbalanced RCA intput on the sub, then RCA unbalanced out to the RCA unbalanced in on the speakers. What sample rate and bit depth do you have the output set to for that audio interface in Windows? 

I tried it without audio interface, there was no crackle. In sound settings the sample rate and bit depth are 96kHz and 24 bit respectively. These match what I have put it on the "universal control" program. I am not using balanced plugs, but if the audio interface is causing the crackle, can that still cause a crackle? Thanks for the responses!

14 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

For one, it's hard to tell from the pic if these are set for +3 or -3, but set those to 12 o'clock (0db).

Turn the gain on this one to 0db as well, and then the low pass filter to 100-120hz (further to the right than you have it currently; or 'up'). If the HPF is based off of the LPF cutoff, the monitors are trying to go down to ~65hz which could cause crackling. But it is a little odd that the monitors without sub do not crackle.

Try the other recommendations from @GuiltySpark_ as well. If it's a 'digital' crackling sample rate mismatch is definitely a likely culprit; but if it's distortion/'analog' crackling it's likely a crossover/gain issue. The other possibility is that you aren't using balanced cables. Are they TRS plugs like this:

or TS like this:

Just now, IHaveSeveralQuestions said:

I tried it without audio interface, there was no crackle. In sound settings the sample rate and bit depth are 96kHz and 24 bit respectively. These match what I have put it on the "universal control" program. I am not using balanced plugs, but if the audio interface is causing the crackle, can that still cause a crackle? Thanks for the responses!

Oh and I also  tried a different USB cable, while doing so I notitced the connector was a bit loose, I could press it in. Is that cause of concern?

15 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

or TS like this:

21 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I have an update, I somehow didnt notice it before, but when I listen with my headphones via the audiobox, I also get crackles on the mentioned audiotrack. It is 100% the box then, do I get a new one? Like I said, the usb connector on the back is kinda loose, maybe there is something wrong there.

1 minute ago, IHaveSeveralQuestions said:

It is 100% the box then

Again I'd look at my sample rate and bit depth settings in the Audio control panel. 

Search windows for "mmsys.cpl". Should open the old Sound control panel. In the Playback tab, find that Presonus device and go to Properties, then the Advanced tab. 

9 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Again I'd look at my sample rate and bit depth settings in the Audio control panel. 

Search windows for "mmsys.cpl". Should open the old Sound control panel. In the Playback tab, find that Presonus device and go to Properties, then the Advanced tab. 

Sorry its in Dutch, but I think the numbers are the most important part. Screenshots from both record and playback.image.thumb.png.7e72dab36d48c5d62a2f67cf43393a83.pngimage.thumb.png.af0476ffe4e104b56c5c836b58ae288c.png

Try 16-bit, 48000 Hz. See if anything changes. 

3 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Try 16-bit, 48000 Hz. See if anything changes. 

Nope that doesnt work 😞 I can't change the bitrate in universal control either, so only the sample rate matches. I think the marketplace dude sold me a bad unit, I am considering buying a new one... I really appreciate the help and dedication for replying to all my posts.

Definitely seems like the Audiobox is the issue. For the time being you could run 3.5mm to RCA from your PC's line out to the RCA inputs on the subwoofer. You don't need to change the cables from the subwoofer to the monitors.

On 3/26/2024 at 11:05 PM, Omon_Ra said:

Definitely seems like the Audiobox is the issue. For the time being you could run 3.5mm to RCA from your PC's line out to the RCA inputs on the subwoofer. You don't need to change the cables from the subwoofer to the monitors.

Yes I bought the same one new but a new issue popped up: a static sound in the headphones, the studio monitors are fine though. I am using the audio technica m40x with a TRS adapter.

EDIT:tried playing some games, now there is also intereference/static on my speakers....