Windows support screwed up my PC big time

dusty12

contacted windows/microsoft support for a simple brightness issue, I could not locate it in the settings where to adjust my brightness, everything else worked fine.  They did a remote session then probably reset a bunch of things they didn't need too and now my PC (ibuypower gaming PC) is screwed up big time.  i have 3, 4k monitors and now they will all only run in 1080, not only that but the PC dose not detect the other monitors so I can only use one.  I got back on with Microsoft support the next day and you better believe that was a lost cause.  I have no idea what to do now other than wait for Monday when Ibuypower opens and see what they can do.

am i at risk of have to send the entire tower back to them so they can undo what microsoft support screwed up?

Who did you contact from microsoft that remoted into the pc? Other than scam places i've never heard of that.

Hmm..

Doesn't system restore points save settings like those? If you have that feature on you could try to revert those changes by going back to a point made before that support guy did.

Microsoft support does not remote into your pc, you’ve been scammed, I highly advise you get on any different system and start securing any accounts you ever had logged into that pc.

IIRC, brightness slider is not available for desktop PC/monitor. 🤔

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

52 minutes ago, dusty12 said:

contacted windows/microsoft support for a simple brightness issue, I could not locate it in the settings where to adjust my brightness, everything else worked fine.  They did a remote session then probably reset a bunch of things they didn't need too and now my PC (ibuypower gaming PC) is screwed up big time.  i have 3, 4k monitors and now they will all only run in 1080, not only that but the PC dose not detect the other monitors so I can only use one.  I got back on with Microsoft support the next day and you better believe that was a lost cause.  I have no idea what to do now other than wait for Monday when Ibuypower opens and see what they can do.

am i at risk of have to send the entire tower back to them so they can undo what microsoft support screwed up?

Desktop towers do not have brightness control within the OS. That is only available on laptops, tablets, and all-in-one machines.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

58 minutes ago, emosun said:

Who did you contact from microsoft that remoted into the pc? Other than scam places i've never heard of that.

you can initiate the chat right from the settings pages

54 minutes ago, Mumintroll said:

Hmm..

Doesn't system restore points save settings like those? If you have that feature on you could try to revert those changes by going back to a point made before that support guy did.

ya, but then he told me to restart and did not give me a reference number, so after restart i got nothing

54 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Microsoft support does not remote into your pc, you’ve been scammed, I highly advise you get on any different system and start securing any accounts you ever had logged into that pc.

dont think so, you can support chat with them directly from the windows settings pages

33 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

IIRC, brightness slider is not available for desktop PC/monitor. 🤔

well shoot wish i would have know this, how am i supposed to turn down brightness then?

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Desktop towers do not have brightness control within the OS. That is only available on laptops, tablets, and all-in-one machines.

how do i do it then, with the Nvidia graphics card?

1 minute ago, dusty12 said:

how am i supposed to turn down brightness then?

With the buttons/menu on the monitors themselves.

As mentioned there's no built-in brightness control for desktop monitors.

You can install Monitorian though, if the displays are supported they'll then be controllable.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Mumintroll said:

Hmm..

BINGO! i forgot about that, i contacted them again to have them go back to the restore point and now i have my computer back. thanks for reminding me!!

49 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

With the buttons/menu on the monitors themselves.

As mentioned there's no built-in brightness control for desktop monitors.

You can install Monitorian though, if the displays are supported they'll then be controllable.

i have a Nvidia GTX 1660 graphics card, am i able to download an application from Nvidia to control brightness on my 3 monitors?  the buttons on the monitors themselves are hard to get to.  

i will look into Monitorian, never heard of it

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, dusty12 said:

am i able to download an application from Nvidia

From Nvidia no, but Monitorian is made specifically for that and pretty polished.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2