Something is interfering with my WiFi connection on my laptop

aurimasg777

Hey guys, this is my second time trying to narrow down the issue.

I live in rental place (house bottom floor) my landord live above me and has the WiFi router up there

Laptop specs:

• It's a gaming laptop AORUS 7KB
  • CPU Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.6GHz
  • OS Windows 11 Latest update (with copilot), but same issue was in previous version of win 11
  • RAM 16GB
  • GPU RTX 2060 and also Integrated Intel UHD Graphics
  •  2 SSD's 512GB SX8200PNP-512GT-S (original) and 1TB Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 (added myself)
Connection details:
  • SSID: Telenor1091bla
  • Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
  • Security type: WPA2-Personal
  • Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
  • Description:    Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
  • Driver version:    22.20.0.6
  • Network band: 5 GHz
  • Network channel:    104 Link speed
  • (Receive/Transmit): 650/468 (Mbps)

Before we go down I just want to tell you how I measure slow downs.

I use ping google.com -t and watch for ping usually i get it 16ms if everything is normal.

So far what I've discovered is that when my laptop is plugged in and my dedicated GPU doesn't perform any heavy work WiFi works fine, but when I open any game that requires some heavier GPU work (like MSFS2020) my ping jumps up to **1000ms** and more then eventually I get request time out.

Now if while the game is running and I unplug the charger then I immediately see ping go back to 16ms and it doesn't even fluctuate 99% of time ping comes back 16ms.

Few more things that I noticed:

• I tried is to share my mobile internet from my phone to my laptop via android hotspot and both times while plugged in and unplugged it worked fine while game was on
  • I tried over  LAN cable also didn't have any issues while plugged in and unplugged
  • Also weirdly enough I tried above actions in a different house hold and I didn't have any issues with WiFi

My questions

• Can this be issue with this WiFi router and something in my laptop not being compatible hence the interference?
  • Is there anything I can do to further investigate and find the culprit?
  • And obvious one how to fix it?

Considering this only happens with your specific Wi-Fi and not your mobile hotspot or any other network, it probably isn’t an issue with your laptop. What kind of Wi-Fi reception do you get on the bottom floor? You said the router was on the top floor and I will say that 5ghz Wi-Fi especially can do… very weird things when it has to go through obstacles. You seem to have been very good with your testing and have ruled out any hardware problems since this doesn’t happen on other networks. Maybe a Wi-Fi extender would help? Since it would create its own network and be closer? Please note this is only a non educated guess.